Pairing shoes to pedals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Pairing shoes to pedals

Over the last 20 years I've slowly drifted from a super weight conscious XC rider, to more of an all-mountain/enduro type rider. I took a big step in that direction this summer with the purchase of a 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S. My XC shoes and Egg Beaters migrated to the new bike. Everyone keeps telling me that is weird and the bike-human interface would be improved by more appropriate pedals and shoes. Plus my shoes are toast anyway. My questions are: what difference does the cage make on the pedal make if you are clipped into the pedal anyway? How is it similar or different from a stiff soled XC shoe and a pedal with no cage?

Right now I'm thinking about Northwave Enduro Mid shoe and the Crank Bros Mallet Enduro with a long spindle (to keep from brushing up against the chain stays)

Any enlightenment and feedback would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OREGON85 View Post
    Over the last 20 years I've slowly drifted from a super weight conscious XC rider, to more of an all-mountain/enduro type rider. I took a big step in that direction this summer with the purchase of a 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S. My XC shoes and Egg Beaters migrated to the new bike. Everyone keeps telling me that is weird and the bike-human interface would be improved by more appropriate pedals and shoes. Plus my shoes are toast anyway. My questions are: what difference does the cage make on the pedal make if you are clipped into the pedal anyway? How is it similar or different from a stiff soled XC shoe and a pedal with no cage?

Right now I'm thinking about Northwave Enduro Mid shoe and the Crank Bros Mallet Enduro with a long spindle (to keep from brushing up against the chain stays)

Any enlightenment and feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    If your always clipped in, the cages make no difference. Cages give you some grip if your shoe is not in the cleat. If there was too much grip from the cages when uou are clipped in, itll interfere with the unclipping action. I have friends who tried clipless with cages and they say the cages dont do much, and often get in the way. One buddy attributes his cracked carbon crank to them, since switching back to cageless he reports less pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've got 3 bikes with flat pedals. The pedals have varying number, length and shape pins. I have a half dozen or so flat shoes. The primary criteria for shoe selection on any day is about how much pedal grip I think I need. I'd say start with the softest soled shoes (5-10 FreeRider Contact?) and big platform but thin pedals (like the OneUps) but with maybe less aggressive pins if you plan to do lots of bunny hopping or anything where you may bash your shins during the learning phase. Or you could just get some shin protectors to wear for a few months.

Skip the combo flat and clip pedals because one of the primary benefits of flats is the life changing mid-sole foot position.