A pair of cheap "clear" glasses- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

A pair of cheap "clear" glasses

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions clear lens riding glasses? I tend to prefer cheap eye and would like something like these style of sunglasses

https://www.blueskycycling.com/produ...te-Glasses.htm

I have found with sunglasses that having the lens unframed on the bottom keeps them from fogging up for me. I also want decent nose grip and grip on the sides.

Suggestions?

Rent this space for $
    What you seek seems to me to be any of the zillions of decent safety glasses available. That's a good deal on the Bluesky site. Most of the cool safety glasses I see tend to run around the $10 range for clear, quality ANSI rated peepers.

I wear glasses made by Dual. I need reader cheaters so I can read my phone or watch when I ride. Dual makes real nice shades but I get the 3 lens set up with 2.00 bifocal readers built in. Dark, Clear, and Amber for the foggy/cloudy days. I never ride without eye protection. Duals run $49.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Re: A pair of cheap "clear" glasses

I use safety glasses made by Radians. The model I use is no longer made, but is similar to the Journey or Revelation model.

http://www.safetyglasses.com/radians1.html#d

They have great optical quality, and are very tough. I stepped on them and all I had to do was snap the lenses in place. I scratched the lenses of my first pair in a crash, but the current pair is 3 years old and in perfect condition.

Order a few. They are cheap enough and shipping is about the same as if order one. I like the light yellow lenses. I use them day and night.

Sack, thanks for the heads up on the bifocal safety glasses. I'll try a pair. I see safetyglasses.com carries several.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I ordered a pair of these: Amazon.com: Global Vision Eyewear C-2 Bifocal +2.00 Magnification Safety Glasses, Clear Lens: Sports & Outdoors

And these: Amazon.com : Global Vision Eyewear C-2 Bifocal +2.00 Magnification Safety Glasses, Smoke Tint Lens : Ski Goggles : Sports & Outdoors

I ride with the tinted lens on sunny days clear on cloudy. They have bifocal readers at the bottom which allows me to read my maps and phone apps. So far so good, they stay on my nose well and are comfortable. Fairly cheap eye insurance. They will fog from my sweat when I stop but stay clear as long as I'm moving. I don't know of any glasses that won't fog on me when I'm sweating hard and then stop moving.

edit to add: There is also no apparent distortion like with some cheapo's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Goat, I ordered these:
    Bifocal Safety Glasses SB-9000 with Yellow Lenses, +1.50 - - Amazon.com
    I have Amazon prime thankfully. This will be a cheap way to see if I can learn to use bifocals or not.

I've never even tried bifocals. I wear contacts, and carry reading glasses. When riding, I can still see the computer and cell phone enough to turn Strava on and off, take pictures and place calls and text message. But if I am in a store and need to read the fine print on labels, no way. So I either put the sunglasses over my head and wear my readers, or usually just leave the sunglasses in the car and walk into the store bare. Not good. I'll report back when I try them.

BTW, my 70+year old flight instructor wore quadfocals when he was an airline pilot. One for reading, one for the instrument panel, one for out the windscreen, and one for the crap on the ceiling. Yikes. But he said they were never a problem for him.

I have about the same experience with fogging. I just remove them when stopped.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I wear glasses made by Dual. I need reader cheaters so I can read my phone or watch when I ride. Dual makes real nice shades but I get the 3 lens set up with 2.00 bifocal readers built in. Dark, Clear, and Amber for the foggy/cloudy days. I never ride without eye protection. Duals run $49.
    Nice find! just what I need..

Trailhead Poseur
    I wear Remington T-72 shooting glasses. They're perfect for riding and since they're only about $5 each, I picked up a few different lens colors. I like the clear lenses for low lighting conditions, and copper lenses on bright sunny days when I'll be going in and out of tree cover.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

Rocks belong
    I wear these:

Results for Pyramex Ztek - SafetyGlassesUSA.com

24 different options for lenses, with most being under $3.50/ea

Shameless, flag-waver plug: SafetyGlassesUSA.com is a veteran owned, small biz with good prices and quick shipping.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

A pair of cheap "clear" glasses

Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    I wear these:

Results for Pyramex Ztek - SafetyGlassesUSA.com

24 different options for lenses, with most being under $3.50/ea

Shameless, flag-waver plug: SafetyGlassesUSA.com is a veteran owned, small biz with good prices and quick shipping.
    Look good, however $50 postage to Australia for 1 pair is not good. I've had a bmx frame shipped from the U.S. Via usps for $70 before and lots of small packages for around $5-$10. Oh well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Got my bifocals, and find that they work great. The bifocal part is far enough out of they way that they don't interfere with normal riding, but you can use them to read my cell phone, no problem. Also fine for reading my bike computer.

For driving, the bifocal line intersects the speedo on my van. I have to look up or down a bit to get a clear view. My car is OK.

The model I ordered are not as comfortable or as well-constructed as my Radians, so will probably look around for a better pair.

Thanks for the lead guys!