Painting a helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Painting a helmet

ive got a 661 full face and i want to change the color to flat black. I need some opinions on how to do this. I was thinking i could sand it then just straight up spray paint it. This is probably the wrong way but im open to any ideas. Thanks

Jan 2004
    go for it... tell me how it comes out

Jan 2004
    Go take joes, he has a flat black one

Feb 2004

start with good prep.

I painted one along time ago, sanded it with 220 no-fill sand paper, then use a good primer, that is one of the most important items, if the primer dont stick, the paint wont either. I used a product called XIM. But be carefull that what ever you use is not "to hot" or it will wrinkle or "melt" your helmet. Try a test spot first. good luck

Where's the chair lift?

Idea! How to paint helmet!

Hey There, Guys

I think i can help you with your helmet paint questions and any other paint questions.
    I am a cert. auto painter for several manufacturers for 13+ years. If you can take the molding off from the outer edges of the helmet without messing it up, that is a plus. You wont have to mask it with tape.

The best way to avoid putting too deep of scratches in your helmets finish is to use Grey 3M Scotch Brite with some water! It will scuff your helmets finish and dull it out. When you dont see anymore shiny spots on it, then you will wipe it down with a clean wet towel.
    Also, you will need some type of silicone / degreaser to clean and prep the surface. Being sure not to touch it again with your bare hands. The oils from your skin or hands can cause the paint to FISHEYE or make small spots in the places where you touched it. So, keep it mind.. In most cases when prep is done this way, you should not need to use primer, unless you have really deep scratches in the gel coat.. Once you have all the prep done, get a tack cloth from your local auto parts store to remove and pre-wipe the surface to make sure you have no lint or dirt on the helmet prior to applying the finish. You will want to use 2 medium wet coats, with about a 10-15 min flash time in between the coats, to allow the finish to adhere and not run on you.. Since, you only want a flat black.. Just scuff the surface with the Scotch Brite, pre-clean and use some BB-Q Flat black keeping the paint can about 8-10 inches away from the surface. Be quick when applying so, you dont have dry spots on the helmet. Once done, let the helmet dry for a few hours before you handle it.. Put the trim back on and mabe let it air out for a bit before you wear it, so you dont get high on the paint smell! LOL Well, I hope this helps you out.. Feel free to drop me a e-mail if anyone has any questions for paint applications, for helmets, frames, or auto.. Best of luck with the finish!! Have a nice day!! (Always wear a helmet!)

Ellsman1 (Aka Marzman1 old forum)
    04 Dare/888R

Apr 2004

Good job! Yup! From one painter to another couldnt.....

Yup! From one painter to another couldnt hav said it better myself!

Good choice though with car bumpers of late to stop the plastic furing up we clean with plastic wipe solution then prime with plastic primer then a light coat of a flexable midcoat primer and paint away to your hearts content.
    Im not sure how soft the plastic is on his helmet tho.

Anyways Good effort.

Boydstar
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thanks for all your help. When im finished ill post a pic. Thanks again

Jan 2004

does it

any sugestions for pain't like brands or does he just hafta go to his local hard wear store n buy it?

Where's the chair lift?

Idea! Buying Certain Brand Paint.. Auto or Hardware..

Quote Originally Posted by NRTH SHORE
    any sugestions for pain't like brands or does he just hafta go to his local hard wear store n buy it?
    Well, depending on ability and your wallet.. You could use some auto paint.. Thing is its not cheap for a small amount.. You need the paint, the reducer, hardener, etc.. Then you need the paint gun, good air compressor thats clean and can handle keeping up the air pressure while you paint with out buring itself up trying to keep the rt. air pressure.. Plus, some states wont sell to the general public becuase of hazardous materials laws. They may sell you waterbourne (waterbase auto paint) but it takes alot of time to dry! Has to be real dry atmosphere. Some big auto manufacturers use it now.. I had my own paint shop for awhile, so I have access to most paint goods.. My favorite paint of choice is BASF R&M Diamont Auto Color, PPG 2nd, House of Kolors 3rd, Dupont, Sikkens, Glasruit.
    But, i would say, for a helmet just going flat black.. Go down to the local hardware store get some BBQ Flat Black and let it rip!! Just dont run the paint!! LOL The can of paint $3-6 bucks is way cheaper than $80-120.00 for auto paint and not knowing how to mix it correctly and apply it.. LOL If you were going Kustom, Id say auto paint all the way!! Im thinking i may get into the bike frame painting for fun.. I enjoy putting nice mirror finishes on car and racing rigs.. Painted for Ferarri Lemans Team. Did their race car big rigs.. Was a task! Anyways!! Good Luck!!!!!! Be patient!! It helps!!

Ellsman1
    04 Dare /888R

LT1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

This is a really BAD idea...

Painting your helmet is a really bad idea, unless you have it painted buy someone who actually does this i.e. Troy Lee and understands the properties of the plastic you are painting, and the effects of the properties on the helmet with the paint you are using.

The materials in cycling helmets, including the plastic and the foam, are designed for the maximum impact absorbtion (strength) with the minimum amount of required material (saves weight). Once you start modifying/sanding/changing the surface material, or painting with something that changes the properties of the plastic, you might as well just carve out a pumpkin and wear that on your head.

This is why every helmet compnay voids warrenties on helmets after they painted or stickered. As well, the paint can hide cracks i.e. the OEM finsih will crack with the helmet cracking, it's possible (although not unlikely) an alternate finsih will hide cracks. Stickers void helmet warranties for the same reason - you can't see the cracks.

As far as all the "painters" who replied, stick to autobody boys, this is a whole different technology....

Don't mean to be direct, I just want to prevent someone from making a mistake. Don't take any chances with this, having a "false" sense of protection from something you think is safe is worse than knowing you have no protection at all i.e. knowing you are not wearing a helmet.

My $0.02...

Jan 2004

well i guess

well i gues my helmet is void then it came with stickers and its not paint on 661 helmets its a laminite at least mine is cuz my visor is peeling. the plastic doesn't rely serve a puropse to impact any way its the foam that does . the plastic is there to make the helmet look like a finished product and to keep the foam from being damaged by every day wear n tear so u don't hafta replace your helmet cuz u droped it and a huge chunk of foam came off. now that i think of it car modle paint could work as well.