Pain Behind Ears and Helmet Recommendation?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Pain Behind Ears and Helmet Recommendation?

Tried doing a search but couldn't find anything.

So I got my new bike yesterday and went out for a ride on a bike path.. Since it has been a while since I rode a bike I new I would encounter some kind of pain. But I didn't expect to feel pain behind my ears while riding. I went out for a 5 mile ride and it probably lasted the first 2.5 miles. Is this common for people trying to start riding again and will eventually go away. Or should I go in for a check up. My body feels ok today with minor aches and no pain behind my ears.

I was just wearing some shades were the frame is straight that goes past my ear. No helmet yet as I have yet to find one that fits me. Will the pain be worse when I do get a helmet? Anyone can recommend a helmet 61 cm Round Head? I tried the Specialized Max and Bell Triton but it still doesn't sit right.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Short-Change-Hero
    Where behind your ears is the pain? Were you riding on a trail, street, rocky off-road? It could be something as simple as you were clenching your jaw while riding.. Or could be that the glasses were too tight for riding and pinched those points on your head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've got the straight back glasses too and I've had the same problem.

I think what it is is that you're "flexing" your ears to keep them from bouncing around or falling off. I've noticed a little more pain when I have a helmet on because the glasses are basicly stuffed into the helmet. Of course I've only used them once or twice so it's not that big of a deal to me though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash
    Where behind your ears is the pain? Were you riding on a trail, street, rocky off-road? It could be something as simple as you were clenching your jaw while riding.. Or could be that the glasses were too tight for riding and pinched those points on your head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dainbramage91
    I've got the straight back glasses too and I've had the same problem.

I think what it is is that you're "flexing" your ears to keep them from bouncing around or falling off. I've noticed a little more pain when I have a helmet on because the glasses are basicly stuffed into the helmet. Of course I've only used them once or twice so it's not that big of a deal to me though.

I was on the street and the pain was about a inch or 2 behind my ears. I'll try to make note on my next ride if I'm clinching my jaws or flexing my ears. The glasses don't seem to be tight. Thanks!

All fat, all the time.
    You were grinning too much haha.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Sounds like something is a pain in the neck. Find out who it is and take care of it.
    Well... That's the thing about experience. It usually comes to you right after you need it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    All right no pain behind the ears, probably was grinning a lot as mentioned above. I also got a Lazer Magma XC helmet which fits great. Much better than the Bell Triton or the Specialized Max.

Members who have read this thread: 0