Pads, Armor, Gear- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pads, Armor, Gear

Hey. I need some help. I rode DH all last summer without pads, and in jeans, and with just my fullface. This summer I want some protection and gear, I might do a few races. I've picked up a 3/4 fox jersey so Im good there.

As for shorts, Im leaning towards Rogue Flow. Theyre longer than the Rogue Baron, and I wasnt really wanting padded shorts, plus I like the look of longer, 3/4 shorts. Is there major pro's/con's of either (regular or longer shorts)?

Knee/shin- Im almost 100% that i'll go with fox launch. I really like them.

Upper Body- here's where my main problems start. Im kinda lost. Upper body suit, or just elbow/arm? If I went just elbow/arm, im leaning towards fox launch again. If I go body suit, 661 SP-2, because it's decribed as shorter slimmer. The only thing Im worried about is how hot I'll get. I know they're mesh, but are they still sweaty and hot? If they are, forget it. I know we're talking protection here, but If Im going to be uncomfortable all day, than I wont buy it. Plus the damn pressure suits are expensive, and I could save a whack on just geting elbow/arm pads.

I'm not goin out hucking or anything, just DH trails.
    So, 3 things---> shorts, knee/shin, upper body.
    Lets get your opinions. Thanks.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    For knees/shins I prefer a skate-style/BMX style knee pad and separate shin guard like Lizard Skins or Fox. Much easier to pedal and better protection IMO.

mmm bacon
    The sp-2 wil get hot,I own one and they are only good if you have a short torso, the spinal protection on mine deosn't even reach my tailbone.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Um..............ROCKGARDN has some pretty sweet gear.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I use the Dianese race upper body. Its light for a lot of armour. It is cooler than the sp2 suit as there is less padding and more plastics. I won't lie it is hot but only when you push/ upift back up the hill. When i'm riding i don't notice it apart from the feeling of security. The air blows through my shirt and armour just fine. Its got great back, shoulder and forearm coverage too. It does work, i've have had a few "go home" spills and with this i rode for the rest of the day.

mtbr member
    sweet thanks for the input. I think i might have to try a upper body suit on before i buy, just to get a feel for it. I like the look of dainese stuff alot, but its too expensive. i just cant afford it. any thoughts on the shorts?

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by 925hell
    The sp-2 wil get hot,I own one and they are only good if you have a short torso, the spinal protection on mine deosn't even reach my tailbone.
    Thats friggin ludicrous considering its the Steve Peat - 2 and SP is ~6'4"

If I werent 6'8" - I'd find it funny instead of annoying.

One of the vendors has the Pressure Suit for 99$ - lets see if I can find that link...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    sweet thanks for the input. I think i might have to try a upper body suit on before i buy, just to get a feel for it. I like the look of dainese stuff alot, but its too expensive. i just cant afford it. any thoughts on the shorts?
    I know its not the cheapest, i had the same problem. But i saved for a month extra and got it. My theory is if its not comfortable i won't wear it. So it was worth the extra in the long run. I don't use the impact shorts but again i would use Dainese if i wore them regular. 661 do some cheap onesi think. Try them all on its the only way find what fits.

Glad to Be Alive
    wear upper body wear......matter which one you buy they will save you at least twice a year

look at the roach/raceface knee/shin guards too

get the Rogues w/pads in them.....more durable then the others
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    wear upper body wear......matter which one you buy they will save you at least twice a year
    are you serious?

you only stack twice a year hard enough to have armor help?

Members who have read this thread: 0