Overboot needed for 25 - 40 F riding- Mtbr.com
    a.k.a. MTBMaven

Overboot needed for 25 - 40 F riding

Temps are unseasonable cold here in SoCal. I cycle commute to work on Monday's with a 38 mile one way commute. This week it was below freezing the entire 2.5 hour commute. It took around 30 minutes for my thumbs to work again!

I have been using a set of Capo Lombardia overboots with my Giro mountain shoes. This solved my numb toe problem. Then I went an destroyed them on a MTB ride yesterday. Blown seam pulling one on and destroyed toe on the other from short HAB.

Looking for more durable MTB specific overboot for riding around freezing weather (25 - 40 F).
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thick merino socks and goretex oversocks are a good option if your existing shoes will fit and you don't want to invest in winter shoes.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    I've had pretty good luck with the Endura MT500 booties. Fairly thick neoprene, and have been pretty durable. They have held up pretty well to 2.5 years worth of wet sloppy mountain bike rides and road commutes in the PNW.

They are on their last legs now, with the pull tab busted off one zipper and the bottoms pretty shredded at the heal and a couple tears from sharp sticks, but they have gone through hell and back, so can't really fault them. Haven't found anything else.

For just road commuting, they should hold up really well. They have a nice rubberized toe cup that has help up to a ton of hike-a-bikes on mtb rides. The material around the heel/sole area isn't quite as durable, so if would suggest taking them off after your ride if you have a long walk on concrete/pavement at the end of your commute.

I'm looking for another pair to replace mine, and noticed Endura came out with another version named MT 500 II, which are $49, but not sure what improvements have been made. The older ones can be found on line between $30 and $45.