Over the Glasses Goggles- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Over the Glasses Goggles

Any good goggles for riders that wear glasses? I've been looking for a while with little success. I can't wear contacts. I bought a pair of 100%s and non-full face helmets hit the top preventing correct helmet position. I also tried a few different safety goggles, and same deal. Prescription goggles is an option, but a very pricey one. I'd like to try and find something less expensive because I only need them in the Winter when cold air makes me tear up on fast descents.

Dirty Old Man
    Smith makes a kit that allows you to mount lenses to the inside of the goggles. I ride with a guy who uses them.
    . . . . . . . .

Dirty Old Man
    You can also check out SportRx.com
    . . . . . . . .

Dirty Old Man
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    The Leatt Velocity 6.5 specifically markets itself as a goggle that fits over glasses. It may be worth checking out, although I have no experience with them (I don't wear glasses myself).

Good luck on the search .

Elitest thrill junkie
    My eyes tear up initially, but it doesn't continue, as long as I'm wearing decent sports/activity prescription glasses. I get them for pretty cheap from zenni.com.

I recently got these with the low-light lenses for use backcountry skiing: https://www.julbo.com/en_us/goggles/...6=453&318=3549
    They have a feature where the lens is on little arms and you can push the lens about 1/2" away from the face of the goggle, making for massive air-flow and no fogging. One of the first solutions I've ever found that seems to work at eliminating fogging. Of course, that introduces a little bit of air-flow into the goggle, but in reality it's not that much. They fit awesome over glasses due to cut-outs for the frames and they fit well with helmets.

But again, for riding, I don't even consider it unless it's colder than about -20F, I keep covering up my face more and more as the temps drop and eventually all that is left "exposed" is my eyes, but they are constantly getting heating blood and warmth from the rest of my covered face, so they don't get cold. Once you start getting way into the negatives then it makes sense to go with the goggles, but you can run into problems with light (goggles being too dark, most are meant to work in a highly reflective environment, bright snow). Good sports glasses should cut down on airflow around your eyes/watering.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

DOOM
    I have a shaved head and I wear glasses.

Not having much hair on my head means sweat management is a thing, especially when it is monsoon season here in Arizona and our humidity goes up.

I tried the Leatt Velocity goggles with my glasses and the frames of my glasses didn't fit well within the goggles and the double lens goggle plus my glasses made me feel like I was wearing a deep sea diving helmet.

I ended up going with the SportRX prescription insert and it works really well in the Leatt but the deep sea diving thing was still an issue so I'm currently using Smith Fuel v2 with the same insert.

The combo there has been my go to now for a couple of months and googles are definitely better than prescription sunglasses for keeping sweat out of my eyes, giving me some better protection around my eyes if I eat it, etc.

I do get a bit of fogging on the SportRX insert from time to time if it is cold, I'm moving too slowly, etc so the next mod will be to drill a few holes in the Smith lens to allow more air flow in and then I should be set.

I would say a prescription insert is a really good way to go as the goggles themselves are inexpensive and the insert is less expensive than prescription sunglasses and you should be able to move the insert between goggles from company X, Y, or Z.

mtbr member
    Oakley has a goggle called the "L" frame.

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product...t=700285016313

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post

This seems to be a good less expensive option. Do you have any experience with them? Size-wise it looks like they may not work with helmets that are not full-faced (would push the helmet up/back).

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post

L frames have been around forever, first pair of goggles i bought. Were talking 90ís. Pretty cheap. Now i only have snow goggles and ive switched to Smith since bulk ofOakley stuff is now made overseas.

Neighborhood Rider
    Jul 2015
    I gotta give a third vote for SportRx. The inserts they have are great, just call them and they'll hook you up with what you need