Ouch - Pedals or Shoes or ?- Mtbr.com
    Help From The Big Guy

Ouch - Pedals or Shoes or ?

I switched from clipless to platforms recently-using Tioga Spyder pedals and Marizocchi Bomber shoes.

After long rides that have plenty of hills or riding thru lots of washes, the balls of my feet are hammered when I get back home.

I like the lighter weight of the Spyders but they're definitely smaller than regular platforms pedals.

The sole of the Marizocchi's seem plenty stiff enough.

Any ideas on whether I need to get a larger profile pedal to get rid of the pain or look for a shoe with a stiffer sole???

Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I agree the Bombers are plenty stiff. I think you should try a larger platform pedal. Maybe just pick up a cheep pair on craigslist or something to see if it helps before dropping coin on some good ones.

It's about showing up.

You may not have broken in these shoes yet

High stress and damp might equal squirm. It is possible that you have not imbedded your feet into the insoles and shaped the upper to your foot. From the looks of the shoe there is a lot of settling to do. Try reworking the tension on the laces and rethink you sock choice.

too cold to ride
    I gotta ask- how do you like the platforms? I thought they looked cool as heck, but man, are they expensive...
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

Help From The Big Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSharks
    I gotta ask- how do you like the platforms? I thought they looked cool as heck, but man, are they expensive...
    I like the pedals a lot. Tioga includes a set of flat pins and pointed pins. I thought using the pointed pins might set me up for a bloodletting so I put in the flat pins. They work GOOD. The combo of the Stealth rubber on the Marizocchi and those pins are perfect.

Help From The Big Guy
    The overall width of the Tioga pedals are much smaller than the base of the Marizocchi shoes. Its almost impossible to get the shoe (my foot) centered squarely on the pedal.

Those shoes with that particular pedal may not work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Padded insoles?

Most cycling shoes seem to use thinly padded insoles if they have any at all. I have gotten used to upgrading my insoles immediately after buying new shoes. For me, the increase in comfort is dramatic. Dr. Scholl's makes some good ones, but there are many others sold to hikers that REI carries sometimes.

Members who have read this thread: 0