Ouachita Challenge clothing question- Mtbr.com
    Wolf nipple chips

Ouachita Challenge clothing question

So I'm doing the Ouachita Challenge (race) with a couple of friends this year. Can anyone give me advice on how I should expect to dress? Having checked the weather.com average temps for that area and time of year, I'm expecting to maybe wear something along the lines of a long-sleeve base layer/under-armor underneath either a short or long-sleeve jersey, with some not-too-thick wool socks, and full-fingered non-thermal gloves, and a non-thermal headband.

Granted, I know everyone is different with respect to how they manage heating and cooling. But if anyone can give some recommendations or things they've learned from riding that long at whatever temps we'll be seeing down there.

Thanks!

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever
    So I'm doing the Ouachita Challenge (race) with a couple of friends this year. Can anyone give me advice on how I should expect to dress? Having checked the weather.com average temps for that area and time of year, I'm expecting to maybe wear something along the lines of a long-sleeve base layer/under-armor underneath either a short or long-sleeve jersey, with some not-too-thick wool socks, and full-fingered non-thermal gloves, and a non-thermal headband.

Granted, I know everyone is different with respect to how they manage heating and cooling. But if anyone can give some recommendations or things they've learned from riding that long at whatever temps we'll be seeing down there.

Thanks!
    Like you said everyone is different but.....

Looks like your system is very much the same as what I wore last year (race too). It was very cold prior to the race (I'm a Tx boy) but once the race got going it was business as usual. I'd bring a vest with you in case you stop to fix a flat ( I had 3! ). A few years back it rained during most of the event so you might consider what that would mean to your clothing plan too. There are at least 1-2 water crossings that will get your feet wet so some smart wool socks are a wise choice(requirement IMHO).

Have fun its a truly great event.
    CJB

paintbucket
    I plan to bring everything I own and decide the morning of the race.

What you've described, plus knee warmers, sounds about right for the 50s, but I'd opt for arm warmers over long sleeved anythings because the temp can vary alot during the course of the day and they're easy to get on or off and easy to stow. A vest is also easily stuffed in a jersey pocket.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Bring all your cycling clothing. It could be highs in the 30's or high's in the 70's. Expect temps to be 50-60 degrees if things stay "traditional" on the weather front. Last year, I wore SS jersey, bib shorts, Craft base layer, arm warmers, and DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks. Pray for dry and moderate temps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    There's no way to tell until the week before really. I've never done the OC (this year will be my first) but I ride up there regularly. Temps could be from the 30s to 70s and wet or dry...no telling. During normal spring conditions, I'd say your gear is just right. Be able to take off and store anything but a SS jersey (and shorts of course). It'll usually warm up from the 30s or 40s in the morning to the 60s or 70s in the afternoon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I'm with KERKOVEJ

You'll get warmer throughout the race- or at least I did. I went for arm and knee warmers so I could peel them off. You'll be chilly at the start but don't be tempted to overdress because it gets warm when you start cranking.

Bring everything you own for clothing since the weather can run the spectrum. Rain gear has to be in the mix since two years ago we did large parts of it in the rain. GoreTex socks did me rightly on the stream crossings last year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ
    Bring all your cycling clothing. It could be highs in the 30's or high's in the 70's. Expect temps to be 50-60 degrees if things stay "traditional" on the weather front. Last year, I wore SS jersey, bib shorts, Craft base layer, arm warmers, and DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks. Pray for dry and moderate temps.
    Are you using the Craft Wind front? I've found i can get away with that a regular jersey and Smart Wool arm warmers in pretty cold conditions. If it warms up roll down the arm warmers and open up the jersey.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Quote Originally Posted by the toninator
    Are you using the Craft Wind front? I've found i can get away with that a regular jersey and Smart Wool arm warmers in pretty cold conditions. If it warms up roll down the arm warmers and open up the jersey.
    I use(d) the Pro Zero Sleeveless Crew.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

any thing.....

Last year it was cold at the start. I wore arm warmer and knee warmers. DeFeet Woolie boolie’s are the best, really a must. Your feet will be wet. I could be anything that time of year. Come prepared.

RidetoLive,BuildtoRide

I got a little warm

by hour 2. SS Jersey, with a craft SS base, knee warmers, thick socks, normal weather long fingured gloves....I just love this race A photo at the finish. I'll also be sliming me tires this year, last 2 years I've had a flat.

Peace
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm only as fast as the previous nights 12 pack, and as crazy as Einstein

www.cyclinglyfestyle.blogspot.com
    http://cyclingtattoogallery.blogspot.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0