Ouachita Challenge clothing question- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Wolf nipple chips
    Reputation: Cabin Fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    504

    Ouachita Challenge clothing question

    So I'm doing the Ouachita Challenge (race) with a couple of friends this year. Can anyone give me advice on how I should expect to dress? Having checked the weather.com average temps for that area and time of year, I'm expecting to maybe wear something along the lines of a long-sleeve base layer/under-armor underneath either a short or long-sleeve jersey, with some not-too-thick wool socks, and full-fingered non-thermal gloves, and a non-thermal headband.

    Granted, I know everyone is different with respect to how they manage heating and cooling. But if anyone can give some recommendations or things they've learned from riding that long at whatever temps we'll be seeing down there.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Student of the Bike
    Reputation: CBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    773
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever
    So I'm doing the Ouachita Challenge (race) with a couple of friends this year. Can anyone give me advice on how I should expect to dress? Having checked the weather.com average temps for that area and time of year, I'm expecting to maybe wear something along the lines of a long-sleeve base layer/under-armor underneath either a short or long-sleeve jersey, with some not-too-thick wool socks, and full-fingered non-thermal gloves, and a non-thermal headband.

    Granted, I know everyone is different with respect to how they manage heating and cooling. But if anyone can give some recommendations or things they've learned from riding that long at whatever temps we'll be seeing down there.

    Thanks!
    Like you said everyone is different but.....

    Looks like your system is very much the same as what I wore last year (race too). It was very cold prior to the race (I'm a Tx boy) but once the race got going it was business as usual. I'd bring a vest with you in case you stop to fix a flat ( I had 3! ). A few years back it rained during most of the event so you might consider what that would mean to your clothing plan too. There are at least 1-2 water crossings that will get your feet wet so some smart wool socks are a wise choice(requirement IMHO).

    Have fun its a truly great event.
    CJB

  3. #3
    paintbucket
    Reputation: wooglin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,825
    I plan to bring everything I own and decide the morning of the race.

    What you've described, plus knee warmers, sounds about right for the 50s, but I'd opt for arm warmers over long sleeved anythings because the temp can vary alot during the course of the day and they're easy to get on or off and easy to stow. A vest is also easily stuffed in a jersey pocket.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

  4. #4
    TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Reputation: KERKOVEJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,062
    Bring all your cycling clothing. It could be highs in the 30's or high's in the 70's. Expect temps to be 50-60 degrees if things stay "traditional" on the weather front. Last year, I wore SS jersey, bib shorts, Craft base layer, arm warmers, and DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks. Pray for dry and moderate temps.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    791
    There's no way to tell until the week before really. I've never done the OC (this year will be my first) but I ride up there regularly. Temps could be from the 30s to 70s and wet or dry...no telling. During normal spring conditions, I'd say your gear is just right. Be able to take off and store anything but a SS jersey (and shorts of course). It'll usually warm up from the 30s or 40s in the morning to the 60s or 70s in the afternoon.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    86

    I'm with KERKOVEJ

    You'll get warmer throughout the race- or at least I did. I went for arm and knee warmers so I could peel them off. You'll be chilly at the start but don't be tempted to overdress because it gets warm when you start cranking.

    Bring everything you own for clothing since the weather can run the spectrum. Rain gear has to be in the mix since two years ago we did large parts of it in the rain. GoreTex socks did me rightly on the stream crossings last year.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ
    Bring all your cycling clothing. It could be highs in the 30's or high's in the 70's. Expect temps to be 50-60 degrees if things stay "traditional" on the weather front. Last year, I wore SS jersey, bib shorts, Craft base layer, arm warmers, and DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks. Pray for dry and moderate temps.
    Are you using the Craft Wind front? I've found i can get away with that a regular jersey and Smart Wool arm warmers in pretty cold conditions. If it warms up roll down the arm warmers and open up the jersey.

  8. #8
    TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Reputation: KERKOVEJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,062
    Quote Originally Posted by the toninator
    Are you using the Craft Wind front? I've found i can get away with that a regular jersey and Smart Wool arm warmers in pretty cold conditions. If it warms up roll down the arm warmers and open up the jersey.
    I use(d) the Pro Zero Sleeveless Crew.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    125

    any thing.....

    Last year it was cold at the start. I wore arm warmer and knee warmers. DeFeet Woolie boolie’s are the best, really a must. Your feet will be wet. I could be anything that time of year. Come prepared.

  10. #10
    RidetoLive,BuildtoRide
    Reputation: Squirrely1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    198

    I got a little warm

    by hour 2. SS Jersey, with a craft SS base, knee warmers, thick socks, normal weather long fingured gloves....I just love this race A photo at the finish. I'll also be sliming me tires this year, last 2 years I've had a flat.

    Peace
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm only as fast as the previous nights 12 pack, and as crazy as Einstein

    www.cyclinglyfestyle.blogspot.com
    http://cyclingtattoogallery.blogspot.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.