OT: Running/Hiking shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

OT: Running/Hiking shoes

I'm wanting to get into running some more and find myself tearing up normal tennies shoes. I usually run off-road and like more diverse terrain. As well as that, I also do a bit of hiking and it would be nice if my off-road running shoes could double as hiking shoes. Any suggestions?

Riding or Fishing
    Take a look around here:
    http://www.hi-tec.com/us/local.php
    Columbia also has the same type of shoes.

May 2007

Check the...

latest edition of Running magazine. They have this years choices of running/hiking shoes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

i second that

hi-tecs served as my 3 hr. commuting bike shoes+8 hr. construction days

get high-tops!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spearchucker
    latest edition of Running magazine. They have this years choices of running/hiking shoes.
    Yeah, look at some trail running shoes, many are beefy enough for light hiking too.
    Solomon
    Montrail
    plus the Running brands (Adidas, Asics, Mizuno, Nike etc)

Running in hiking shoes would hurt.

mikeb
    adidas response. they may or may not still make this shoe, but it works for me.

group W bench member
    Outside magazine might have a buyers guide for trail runners and light hikers. Also might look on outdoorreview.com (link on the bottom of this page)
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

ZEN RIDER!
    EMS has a large selection of trail running shoes or hiking boots. If I run in the woods I wear a lite trail running hiking boot with goretex by North Face. Durable, great support & water resistant.
    Life in every breath

Captain Underpants
    Do you post mountain biking questions on running forums? Find a running forum and ask there, only because you will get a better response.

mikeb
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Do you post mountain biking questions on running forums? Find a running forum and ask there, only because you will get a better response.
    that's probably true...

Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel

dont need to be that way

Dirt Eater
    Jan 2005
    I dont like trail runners. I prefer trail running in my regular running shoes. Wears em down a little faster, but I dislike the support and feel of trail runners. For hiking, I use a pair of North Face low top hiker/ trail shoe I got on sale at REI. Worked for a 30 lbs pack.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    I'm a big guy (220 lbs.) who trail runs, and I run on some pretty rocky burly stuff. I used to love Montrails, but my new favorite is Pearli Zumi. Their trail runners fit great and have a nice beefy sole. Whatever you get, make sure it's specifically designed for trail running. It will have a more aggressive sole and will likely have some sort of a stiffener to protect you from the rocks.

Another good brand to check out is Solomon. I have never used their shoes, but several friends swear by the.

If you have an REI near you, go in and try everything on. Fit is everything.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I've found that only really cheap nasty 'running' shoes get shredded by mountain biking. Decent running shoes seem to hold up fine, even to spiked pedals.
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

mtbr member
    Outside magazine does review trail runners in its gear guide. Runners World also reviews them. You could also try backpackgeartest.org or backpackinglight.com (subscription required to read everything). Just like a bike, you need to try on different ones and see what works for you. There's no reason you can't hike in trail runners as long as your pack weight is reasonable.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I got my first set of trail running shoes at a foot locker. I looked and read all the reviews online, and headed to the store because FIT IS MOST IMPORTANT.
    I ended up in the asics. They are great.

I also have hiked in them, with them replacing my awesome Salomon trail hiking shoes - they are a great replacement and super-light!

Oct 2007
    I cross country run on some rooty/rocky singletrack w/ NB 809's which I also use for hiking and running on the road.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I just got some Teva Terra Wraptor's. They are made of Gore-Tex XCR so they breath really well, but still keep you from getting soaked in smaller puddles/mud. They are awesome, but unfortunately since they have been discontinued, are increasingly hard to find. I think these are their replacements: http://www.rei.com/product/757915

I can also recommend Solomon's, Merrell's, and Montrail's. All great shoes. After I kill these Teva's, I will most likely go back to Solomon's just because of their AWESOME lacing system.

Members who have read this thread: 0