• 02-21-2007
    Locoman
    4 Attachment(s)
    OT: I bought me some new shoes :)
    Seeing that my Lakes are now 80% shoe goo, and only 20% original shoe I decided its time to replace them.

This thread is an homage to the best bicycling equipment I've owned. They've outlasted frames, skewers, rims, seats, hubs... everything.

I only hope the new ones are up to task. They have to last the better part of the next decade. ;)
  • 02-21-2007
    warfaminepestilenceplague
    Those look prehistoric. Long overdue for replacement.
    I have always used SIDIs myself. They are indestructable, and so comfortable.
  • 02-21-2007
    >>ECB<<
    What Four Horsemen's title said. Hey, didn't the bog man wear those? ;)

ECB
  • 02-22-2007
    FrozenK
    I've got the SixSixOne version of those and after using them last season, they're holding up ok. Maybe not the greatest shoe ever made but they work.
  • 02-22-2007
    kept man
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FrozenK
    I've got the SixSixOne version of those and after using them last season, they're holding up ok. Maybe not the greatest shoe ever made but they work.

What are they like width-wise, you guys? I tend to likes a little wider shoe.

I currently have some PIzumis that I got on clear out - holding up well, but not an ideal fit. So I am still shopping around.

Specialized fit me beautifully, though they are never on clear out except in funny sizes.
  • 02-22-2007
    FrozenK
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kept man

I currently have some PIzumis that I got on clear out - holding up well, but not an ideal fit. So I am still shopping around.

Specialized fit me beautifully, though they are never on clear out except in funny sizes.

Mmm, I don't know. I know that Carnacs don't fit my feet and Nike Poggios do. I think I tried some sidi's and were mkay.
  • 02-22-2007
    kept man
    Quote:

Mmm, I don't know. I know that Carnacs don't fit my feet and Nike Poggios do. I think I tried some sidi's and were mkay.

Hmm. None of those fit me.

I'm thinking I'll just have to cough up and pay the Specialized peoples. They fit so nice.
  • 02-22-2007
    Babygorilla
    Second The Goodness of Lakes
    Been running my pair of Lakes since 01. The last three or four years they've also doubled as my commuting shoe so they've had weekday runs of anywhere from 12 to 20 miles a day (in the Pacific NW) plus my weekend warrior trail rides. Some chunks of rubber missing, but still enough tread to make it through next fall on the trails afterwich they will likely be dedicated soley to commuting use until they permanently form a symbiotic relationship with my feet. Judging from the smell after a rainy ride, the symbiotic process has already commenced.
  • 02-22-2007
    Locoman
    Quote:

At $60ish bucks at pricepoint, I figured I couldn't lose.
    The Lakes lasted many years. Hard to compete w/ that ;)
  • 02-22-2007
    Satan on a stick
    Burn Them
    Now that is just wrong looking.
  • 02-22-2007
    MiffedMax
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan on a stick
    Burn Them
    Now that is just wrong looking.

Shouldn't there be some sort of ceremony in order to do that? You should certainly make the appropriate sacrifices to the gods of hops and barley, lest you make them angry, No?
  • 02-22-2007
    Satan on a stick
    Well now that you put it that way
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MiffedMax
    Shouldn't there be some sort of ceremony in order to do that? You should certainly make the appropriate sacrifices to the gods of hops and barley, lest you make them angry, No?

Well now that you put it that way, the occasion may call for ceremonial shoe sacrifice to the gods of nylon and lorica topped off with some larger.

I don't know how people ride shoes for that long without their feet getting a bad case of athletes foot.
  • 02-22-2007
    warfaminepestilenceplague
    I have very wide feet. SIDIs are perfect for me.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kept man

Italian shoes in general tend to favor a wider foot. I have SIDI road and MTB shoes, and I don't find them too narrow.

They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for. They have both lasted for years.
  • 02-22-2007
    Locoman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan on a stick
    Well now that you put it that way, the occasion may call for ceremonial shoe sacrifice to the gods of nylon and lorica topped off with some larger.

I don't know how people ride shoes for that long without their feet getting a bad case of athletes foot.

Contain too many synthetics to burn 'em. Haps I'll burn something else in their honor. And I would never disrespect them with a larger. They demand the respect that can only be found with an ale. :p

btw, They never got funky. Mummified is more like it.