Ordering shoes on the internet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Ordering shoes on the internet

I want to get some new mtb shoes. I see some real good deals on the internet. How do you order shoes?
    In the past, some shoes I try on are a little small, others are a little bigger. Any other thing I can do besides just hope they fit, if they don't, send them back?
    Thank you,
    Chris.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    well this will po some folks---but try em on if ya can find em in the lbs (local ripoff store) first.

that said i jst bought a bell volt (CSC colors) helmet unseen from a ebay type for a massive discount. it arrived today and fits great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah Army's right- knowing your size is a big part of it.
    I've had success ordering both a pair of SixSixOne's and Settes but, unless you can try them on fisrt at a bike shop, that first time can be a gamble.

Most of the sites do have a sizing chart that varies by brand. I've used that with success as well.
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Yup, you are right, it's going to PO some people.

If you feel you need the service/luxury of trying the shoes on first then be willing to pay for that service so long as it's reasonable (the LBS's I frequent are NOT that much more expensive than the internet unless it is a major blowout sale. I write that 5-15% price hike up to a service fee gladly...when it even exists. Frequently my LBS is the same price or cheaper).

If you don't want to pay for that service suck it up and take the risk. Most online shops will take merchandise back for refund/exchange/whatever under most circumstances anyway. If I order online and guess wrong (I do do it and it does happen occasionally) I suck it up and pay the extra shipping it's going to cost and move on. I took the risk and I lost. Generally if I'm buying something online it's a good enough deal that I'm still saving money even if I have to pay shipping twice anyway, otherwise I just go to my LBS.

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by happydog500
    I want to get some new mtb shoes. I see some real good deals on the internet. How do you order shoes?
    In the past, some shoes I try on are a little small, others are a little bigger. Any other thing I can do besides just hope they fit, if they don't, send them back?
    Thank you,
    Chris.
    I bought some shoes online a little while back and this is what I did:

1. Identified the make and model of shoe I wanted to buy.
    2. Made a thread asking for info on that specific brand.
    3. Noted that others said they tend to run big.
    4. Bought a pair one size smaller than I wear in street shoes.
    5. Received a pair of shoes that fit perfectly!
    Last edited by Bo55Diesel; 02-26-2009 at 10:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the replies.
    I to don't mind paying a little extra to get it locally. On this sale, I will save about $60, so it's worth buying on the internet.
    Chris.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I can't remember where I was looking at the shoes. I did find another (seemingly) good deal. Without starting another, new post, anyone know about this shoe?

At Price Point, they have a sale on the; Sette Element MTB Shoe. 50% off.
    Thank you,
    Chris.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just ordered and received my Elements and like them a lot. Read through many reviews that said they run large, and to order a size smaller. It felt weird ordering a 43 (9 1/2), but they turned out fitting perfect. Great shoes, couldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That's good to know. My last shoes where Northwave, size 46 (12), that where real snug. I can't have them any smaller. If I order a 12, shoud be OK.
    Thank you for your review. Since I have the strongest legs in the country , I hope they will last a while (pulled the soles off top end northwaves twice).

Chris.

Aquaman
    Now I am no big fan of the LBS. They are under stocked and over priced but they do have a purpose. If you are the type of person who goes to a shop to find your size and then get it online.....you’re a real tool…..

Jun 2008
    I have the Sette Epics and like them a lot. They do run big, so order one size smaller than your street shoe size.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I am looking for shoes and well and need something wide. I wear EE in regular shoes. Now everybody and there brother will say oh this shoe is wide and try this one and that one.
    I was looking at the Shimano 230 that comes in an E width and nobody within 100 miles of me actually stocks them. They will order them.

I was thinking about this and sellling shoes online would be easy if they took a very small amount of time to put up a pdf link that has each shoe insole online. I go to the pdf print it out and see if it fits. Presto I know if the shoe will fit my foot. Then from there are other considerations but at least I know I am working with a shoe that will fit my foot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I think I know what to do, one last thing before I order. Some shoes I wear (not bike) a 12, some 13. The last few times have been 13. The very snug Northwave shoes are 12.

The website for the Elements lists something like (gotta start bookmarking this stuff, since I can't find it)
    46 - 12
    48 - 12.5 - 13.

I first thought the right one would be the 48. But if they run big, a 46 (12) looks like the size?

Anyone with this shoe, does this sound right?

Thank you,
    Chris.

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by gdunha
    I am looking for shoes and well and need something wide.
    I've got the same problem. If there's a Specialized dealer nearby, try on a pair of their Body Geometry shoes.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Here's a link to a size chart. It was spot on for me. I wear 9.5 US and ordered a 43 shimano and it was perfect.

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/tech/I...sp?section=sho

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Happydog, yes I would order a 12. I wear a 10 1/2 to 11 and ordered the equivalent of a 9 1/2 and it was just right, if not a tad large. Better a little bigger than smaller, since you can always just add a thicker shoe liner.

Mar 2004
    my exsperience with buying shoes off the net is a bad one. dont do it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Got my shoes today. Side by side, next to the Northwave, there smaller (both are 12).
    Mine did not run big. Took a while to get them on with a shoe horn. They are so tight.
    Chris.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    You will want to rturn them ASAP. I had to do that the 1st and I think only time I internet ordered shoes--Colo Cyclist was cool abt the whole thing.

Got my shoes today. Side by side, next to the Northwave, there smaller (both are 12).
    Mine did not run big. Took a while to get them on with a shoe horn. They are so tight.
    Chris.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    When I first got them and tried them, I had been waring tennis shoes, and athletic socks. I had to go somewhere, when I got home I tried them on again with the dress socks I had on. They fit a little better.

I realized the first time I tried them on, my socks bunched up. The stretchy stuff that goes across, under the straps, had caught on the lumps of the socks. As I sit here with them on, watching TV, they feel better. Not broke in, just after wearing tennis shoes, maybe they do fit after all.

Yesterday I caught my toenail putting on my pants. I had to cut the big toenail really short to meet the side that chipped off. The top tip is more sensitive and makes me feel the end more.

One thing for sure is they are very narrow. Maybe this is how they're supposed to fit.

I will try them on agian tomorrow before I decide what to do. I will post back for others to concider when ording.

Chris.

Platforms For Life
    Don't know if I'm allowed to post this here, but blueskycycling has the FiveTen Impact 2 lowtops for $75 right now. I highly reccomend them.
    2008 GT Force 3.0
    2009 Bianchi Pista fixie

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    How does the sizing run on those Five Ten Impact shoes, Halfrican?

I'm just messing with you
    One thing for sure is they are very narrow. Maybe this is how they're supposed to fit.
    Tight shoes = numb feet. That's the problem I had. Wide cycling shoes seem to be hard to find. I ended up with Specialized BGs. I like the way they fit, but don't like the walkability compared to my old Diadoras. But fit is more important IMO, so I'm happy with the shoes.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Members who have read this thread: 0