Ordered new bike, now I need pedals and shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ordered new bike, now I need pedals and shoes

Just ordered a Trek 6500 now I need some good, not to expensive pedals and shoes. I have no experience with clipless pedals, but want to try them. It would be nice if the pedals could be used with or without clips for some commuting in street shoes. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    I am pretty sure this is what I will be ordering shortly(unless responses here suggest otherwise):

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/186...r-C-Pedals.htm

Underskilled
    The lesser known option to clipless is using 5.10 shoes and good flat pedals.

The brand of shoe MUST be 5.10, they are a climbing shoe manufacturer and make special rubber. anyone can make a shoe, only 1 company can make the rubber.

get a good pair of flats, they must be thin.

Any varient of the kona wah wah is good. they are 1.9mm thick, thinner the pedal better the grip.

Superstar components makes the cheapest alternative in the uk, dont know about usa.

This will give you the traction to safely pull your bike into the air and circular pedal 90% of the revolution.

The trade off is it is more comfortable and safer, much much safer.

5.10 and kona wah wah.
    no other brand of shoe, no cheap pedals. spend as much as you would for good clipless.

hmm, probably a bit patronising, but you would be amazed the people who do this half way and it doesnt work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    This is what I'll be getting soon. Clipless one side, platform on the other. Just make sure you get a shoe with a recessed cleat.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...00_20000_23013

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtdmn92
    This is what I'll be getting soon. Clipless one side, platform on the other. Just make sure you get a shoe with a recessed cleat.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...00_20000_23013
    Trust me...those are totally worthless. You'll spend more time trying to get your foot on the correct side and looking down when you need to keep your eyes on the trail (or road)

If you want a pedal that works well both clipless and as a platform, check out the Crank Bros Mallet pedals. I've owned them and you can't even tell their clipless with regular shoes and they have nice traction plates (or pins on the new ones) yet when you use a clipless shoe and cleat, it raises your shoe just enough off the platform to make it easy to get in and out of the mechanism.

mtbr member
    The question is what percentage will you ride clipped in vs. riding with street shoes? IMO, there are options that do both, but none that that will do both well. You have to pick your poison.

I've got a pair of Time Control Z's and some Shimano DX's. Both are focused more on riding while clipped in but offer a full platform that will get the job done if you just want to casually pedal around town. Crank Bros. also makes the Mallet C, but I've never tried them. I think their platform is supposed to be the best, but I just dont like the Crank Bros. "float".

May 2009
    I currently just switched to some TIME ATAC's and absoutely love em.

This is also coming from a guy that said he would never go clipless under any circumstances, due to the large amount of bailing and noobness. I bought them used based upon the reviews and some threads in this section, and i am extremely impressed. I can clip in and out easily but not so easy that i just pull out of it. After going clipless, i'm not going back.

mtbr member
    get shimano spd pedals. get the xt level. i recommend specialized brand shoes. very good. the mavics listed above look like a good deal tho. like most people that have owned both cr and shimano pedals i believe shimano is the superior pedal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks, but I want to be able to use the platform sides when I have my clipless shoes on. And they're a tad outside my price range...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm a noob and just picked up my first clipless setup. I got the Shimano SPD 086 shoes. I liked some others but these fit my foot the best. Try on as many pairs as you can and get the one that fits.

I got the Shimano M820 pedals to go with them and once I adjusted the spring tension I found them easy to use. They also offer the same pedal that has a platform around it so that you can ride with casual shoes to commute or whatever. Price on them was $94 at my LBS. Best of both worlds IMO.

Took me about 2 hours of riding to fell comfortable clicking in and out on the trail.

mtbr member
    These ATACs look interesting, and may be up your alley.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/115...C-Z-Pedals.htm

Here is the combo: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/186...Mtn-Pedals.htm

I thought the Egg Beaters would be great, but hearing they open on pedal strikes concerns me. I like their simplicity, but mud isn't my big issue. I have been using my Shimano PD-M636 that i have had forever. They just weigh a ton.

EDIT: I ordered the set in the second post above. i can give some feedback when they arrive.
    Last edited by jonw9; 07-30-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    The lesser known option to clipless is using 5.10 shoes and good flat pedals.

The brand of shoe MUST be 5.10, they are a climbing shoe manufacturer and make special rubber. anyone can make a shoe, only 1 company can make the rubber.

get a good pair of flats, they must be thin.

Any varient of the kona wah wah is good. they are 1.9mm thick, thinner the pedal better the grip.

Superstar components makes the cheapest alternative in the uk, dont know about usa.

This will give you the traction to safely pull your bike into the air and circular pedal 90% of the revolution.

The trade off is it is more comfortable and safer, much much safer.

5.10 and kona wah wah.
    no other brand of shoe, no cheap pedals. spend as much as you would for good clipless.

hmm, probably a bit patronising, but you would be amazed the people who do this half way and it doesnt work.
    I'm very much considering going with 5.10 and Kona Wah Wah, has anyone else had success with this?

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by ael719
    I'm very much considering going with 5.10 and Kona Wah Wah, has anyone else had success with this?
    I havn't been injured biking for years, I have been thrown from my bike loads of times, I just duck roll, get up laugh get back on.

My wife borrowed my flats last weekend for a comparrison (she has got a pair now).

I used my time atacs, we were doing a green route, i ovebalanced over a root, released but lost balance, headbutted a tree damaged my hemet and almost knocked myself out...on a friking green route!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ok so I've decided to get the Crank Bros Mallet, but my mountain shoe has a recessed cleat. Will the Mallet work with that?

mtbr member
    I got my shoes and pedals in the other day.

Unfortunately, the shoes are a half-size too big, so I will need to send them back for a smaller pair.

Members who have read this thread: 0