Only What's Neccesary Shoes (for platform) any good?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Only What's Neccesary Shoes (for platform) any good?

Saw these linked in another thread and they look fairly new. Has anyone tried these?

https://www.onlywhatsnecessary.com/

The thermal bonding and double layer is the same as what Arc'Teryx is doing and it seems like the highest performance manufacturing method, but not sure it justifies the $200+ price.

Would be interested to see how these compare to Teva Links and Five Tens for a variety of riding condition, including long XC rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    That actually looks pretty cool. Wonder what the weight is. Looks pretty light

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I've been using these for a couple of months now. I was originally a bit put off by the looks of the white heel cap, but it started growing on me and as I'd look at my Five tens, I just kept thinking the OWN looked better- less clumpy. I'd also been thinking how long it always took for my Five tens to dry out, so the OWN looked ideal on paper.
    I tried a couple of sizes with thick socks, legs cramped up when I was trying to get them on! They're really pretty hard to get on at first, a long shoe horn works a treat.

I bought a pair and on the first ride one of my feet when numb very quickly. I'd bought them too small, well they weren't too short, just not enough height in the toe box. Luckily my local cobbler was able to stretch the kevlar uppers nd with continued use of a padded out shoe tree, I've got them permanently stretched.

In use I think they're great, the sole is indiscernible from my five tens for grip, they're decently waterproof and with merino socks and the winter liner, I'm finding them fine in 0 degrees C. They become easy enough to get on after a few wears, but that's not to say the liner becomes slack around the ankle.

I wore mine for 3 days in almost freezing, snow, rain and wind, they were fine and every morning they were totally dry. My mate wore my five tens and they were still wet and heavy every morning.

If I've done a muddy ride, I just blast them off with a hose, my feet still don't get wet unless the water goes in around the tongue. I was testing this yesterday, just blasting away with the hose and nothing was getting through, that's really good stuff. Then I whipped the liner out, put them in the sink with some soap and they're perfectly dry not long later.

Positives for me-
    Lightweight
    Very quick drying
    Good sole, also easy to walk in.
    2 pairs of shoes for the price of one (fairly pricey one!)
    I think they look great

Things I think they could improve-
    5mm extra height in toe box
    Gusseted tongue- this would make them so good, probably what so many people are after. I'm sure there was a good reason for omitting the gusset, maybe cost, maybe bulk.

I really think they're pretty awesome, just make sure you buy big enough.

weight for one shoe size 270mm is 450g with winter liner and you make a 4g saving on the summer liner!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I guess there is no margin in the price for advertising - terrible website, limited display of the product.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    I guess there is no margin in the price for advertising - terrible website, limited display of the product.....
    There's a fair bit on this page in case you didn't navigate to it - https://www.onlywhatsnecessary.com/f...tures#overview To me it looks like a good overview,it's pretty Rapha style, but why not ey. I do think they should bin the 'explore FR-01' tab on the opening page and go straight to the page linked, it's not like they have another product

mtbr member
    "only what's necessary"... You pay more to ensure you don't get more than the minimum needed. Great concept.

Actually, they look pretty nice to me, if a bit pricey. IMO, the demands on flat pedal shoes aren't really that great; they need to fit your foot well first, and have a pedal friendly sole that's no so stiff you can't feel the pedal. I think you could get by spending a lot less.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I stand corrected, website is better than I originally thought.

I was looking for drop downs along the top rather than scrolling down.

I sure like the look of those shoes.

since 4/10/2009
    Terrible sizing aside (I'm right at the max for the largest size they offer), they look intriguing. But the sizing kills it for me. In the "normal" sizing methods, my feet are about half a size different. My left is half a size shorter, but half a size wider than my right foot. My feet also require a higher volume shoe due to my high insteps. For my right foot, I'm right at the max 289mm, and my feet aren't really all that big. With someone already saying that these need more volume, no way no how am I going to experiment with ordering these without trying them on. I like the options for the different liner socks offering either breathability or a touch of warmth/wind/water resistance. They wouldn't replace boots for winter riding, but they look like they'd be less stuffy in summer than my 5.10's, and at least as comfy in spring/fall. I also like at least their claims of faster drying. Ugh, it sucks to get wet 5.10's on a humid summer ride, and then they're still not dry by the next day because it's humid and nothing dries quickly.