ok, so i hate fullface helmets...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

ok, so i hate fullface helmets...

Is it just me? I hate the narrow field of vision! especially downwards!

Or is it just my helmet, which is Shoei VFX-W, an extremely nice helmet i got as a birthday preasant from my dad... it's uber comfy and feels secure...

ORRRRR is it my goggles?? which are oakley proven MX?

thanks

Seeeriously easy Livin
    definitely your helmet or goggles my 661 and blur b1 goggles don't restrict my vision at all, is your helmet DOT appoved, might be part of your problem

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yes it's DOT approved, it's a Shoei! it's not a cheap helmet either! I just tried it on without goggles and now that i'm paying attention to it, it's not the helmet, So it must be the goggles. How much do Blur B1s cost (just to get an idea, i'm gonna have to go goggle shopping tomorrow)

trail fairy
    Well its not the quality of the Helmet, maybe setup of peak etc!

But the Shoei VFX-W probably one of the 3 best Helmets ever made period.

DOT approved geez common guys do some research! This is one of the bench marks in Helemet technology in any field..

Imo Oakleys are over rated, ya pay for name, look @ SPY Magnetos or Smiths!

I had a similar issue with my crowbars! Ive always worn Oakley's too so I'm not a hater, but the moto googles just don't work for me!

For googles, Smiths have a great lens and sizing for vision! But Spy my all time favs,!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Seeeriously easy Livin
    DOT helmets are bigger, and have more robust faceguards, which could lead to reduced visability, I was just suggesting that if Alex's helmet was restricting his vision, that may have been a reason why.

Blur goggles cost btween 30-$40, they work well, but can fog up if you try riding uphill with them on for a while.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJK
    It's the same with me(THE with Oakley Crowbars). They're fine on trails where looking ahead is more important, but when it comes to riding the skatepark, or the DJ trails, I go right back to my pisspot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juanbeegas
    It's the same with me(THE with Oakley Crowbars). They're fine on trails where looking ahead is more important, but when it comes to riding the skatepark, or the DJ trails, I go right back to my pisspot.
    Either I didn't really need it or we have different crowbars. I have 2 pairs - 1 for snow and 1 for dh and have no problems with field of vision.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you're worried about vision, may I suggest a BMX style FF. Their chin bars are a bit closer to your nose/mouth that allow you to see out better: kinda like the difference between a big car with a super long hood, and a smaller one with a shorter more sloped hood(which allows you to see in front of you better).
    On the flipside, the chin bar being so close to your face, means that it will get warmer in there than a helmet with a longer chin bar (which allows more air to circulate through).
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norbar
    Either I didn't really need it or we have different crowbars. I have 2 pairs - 1 for snow and 1 for dh and have no problems with field of vision.
    Nah dude, I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean the goggles, I meant the full face helmet. I just don't get as open a field of vision, as compared to a pisspot. I still do use the full face, but when it comes to DJs, or riding vert where I have to be able to look down and spot a landing, I still prefer my open faced lid.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    im kinda with ya here. i found that goggle choice can be key. ive moved from oakley to smith as another suggested to add a more pronounced lower field of vision. much of it may be due to face shape vs helmet shape if ya find all goggles make things tough to see down. also remember that a ff hat will come with some restrictions no matter what. a small price to pay for the level of protection ya get. given enough time you will adapt as yer brain finds ways to get around the issue. our human noggins are pretty cool that way.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    TLD D2 with Crowbar MX goggles=my setup. Zero vision problems.

Glad to Be Alive
    your helmet is the cause
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    ... I just tried it on without goggles and now that i'm paying attention to it, it's not the helmet, So it must be the goggles. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    your helmet is the cause
    Fail.

As far as vision is concerned I found the step of moving from XC lid to DH lid to be not nearly as hard to make as from no goggles to goggles. I still do not wear goggles but I've tried 'em and I feel like my eyes are getting all claustrophobic.

It will probably take some getting used to, but it will be worth it. I have no experience regarding which goggle brands give you a large field of vision and I'm curious about this myself.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    You should be looking ahead, not at the ground.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromedToast
    You should be looking ahead, not at the ground.
    hahaha, i was waiting for sombody to say that! i do look ahead, but i like to be able to see the ground with my peripheral vision.

brake later, pedal sooner
    Shoei VFX-W is not a bicycle helmet.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf
    sure feels the same! if a bicycle helmet provides any less protection, i'm worried.

mtbr member
    sure feels the same! if a bicycle helmet provides any less protection, i'm worried.
    just because it is a bicycle helmet doesn't mean it will provide less protection. It does mean that it will be designed specifically for riding bicycles. buy a nice mtb full face, look ahead while you're riding and get some solid goggles. You should be set. Make sure you don't get snowboarding goggles I see a lot of guys up on the hill w/ snowboarding goggles and they ***** and moan about them.

I use the Spy Magento's and they offer a great field of vision at a solid pricepoint.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    well, i just don't see how it could be really specifically designed for bicycles... it does the same job... i've tried bike specific ones on and the field of view is always pretty much the same.

either way, i know it's the goggles. They aren't snowboard goggles but i went shopping for goggles yesterday and the oakley line is really dissapointing, they are good, but the price is too high for somthing that doesn't provide a full feild of vision. I think i decided on a pair that i have to go back and have them order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    The way I see it right now, if my bike is too heavy, then I'm too weak!

field of vision - most bike helmets do excell in this area, but thats because they dont have to hold up to the same testing standards that a dot helmet does.

alex: bike helmets have thinner shells, cores and padding allowin for a deeper eye port (perifial), taller brow (upward) and shorter nose (downward). im not always talkin about the actual size of the opening here but the thickness of the product if measured from face to shell exterior. case in point: im able to see noticably better outta my d2 than my se2 but am far better protected in the moto hat due to the stronger design made to handle far, far bigger (lets not forget multiple and devistating) impacts.

ryan: decades of lab testing more than proves this protection difference to be true, belive it or not, rippley. would you really ride moto in a remedy and expect to survive a crash producin impact numbers it clearly failed under durrin testin and a bell moto 8 dot lid passed? same company, very likely the same lab equipment. end of argument.

this is for usa standards, not nessesarily those in europe and elsewhere. i cant speak for those.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    dude! you mean the most bicycle helmets arent DOT approved?!!! thats freaking stupid!!!

That irks me alot! On my bike, most of the time i crash harder than when i'm on my dirtbike.(when i do crash)

That's rediculous...

外国人
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf
    and there, my friend, is your problem.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

well..... no, thats market demand and end user choice. its never been a big secret. not baggin on ya a bit but im sure glad ya know now.
    No, I'm NOT back!

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    hahaha, i was waiting for sombody to say that! i do look ahead, but i like to be able to see the ground with my peripheral vision.
    You must just be going too slow then, everything should just be one big blur.

that only happens to me after i hit my head. am i doin it wrong?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Locs on Spokez
    Is it just me?
    thanks
    Yes, it's just you.

Cheers
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    Yes, it's just you.

Cheers
    haha, i got a good chuckle out of that

attending to my vices

Or is it just my helmet, which is Shoei VFX-W, an extremely nice helmet i got as a birthday preasant from my dad... it's uber comfy and feels secure...

ORRRRR is it my goggles?? which are oakley proven MX?

thanks

your gear sounds A-class, are you sure your not cross eyed? Happened to a cousin of mine.
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you're worried about your field of vision in a helmet, just don't wear one.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

Members who have read this thread: 0