Ok, one more question (shoes)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ok, one more question (shoes)

Sorry for all the inconvenience but I'm trying to get this stuff ordered by the weekend. I've read reviews on some of it, but I'd rather get opinions from folks here than order something that I won't be happy with because I wasn't knowledgeable enough.

So, I guess there are a few pairs I'm looking at, and would like help weeding out any that might be poor quality or overkill, or whatever. I'd like good shoes that will last me a while, but I don't need expensive ones if I can get by just as well on something cheaper. So right now the only three I'm really considering are:

Adidas Adistar XC Race
    Sette Element
    Answer Impact
    05 Specialized BG Sport
    Northwave Hydrogen
    661 Stinger

And I appreciate all the help
    Last edited by Ceezer; 04-04-2006 at 07:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Ordering today....

Jan 2005
    I've owned both the Sette Element and Spec. BG Sport shoes. Both have held up very well.

Never worng!
    I looked at the Sette Epic and thought about ordering them.
    But I was leery about ordering shoes online without trying them on first.

So I went to 3 LBS and tried on shoes. Glad I did!
    I tried on shoes I saw online in my size. Even though they were the right size
    they hurt my feet or just didn't feel right.

The last LBS I went to had Specialized shoes.
    They had a pair for $129 that I really liked but again they were uncomfortable.
    I tried on every pair of shoes in the $100 range and didn't like any of them.
    The sales guy said the only thing they had left in my size were Shimano's for $49.
    These are the laces soft leather/canvas type shoes with low profile cleat soles.
    WOW! They felt terrific. Been using them for 2 weeks and am really satisfied.

Shoes are pretty much a personal thing. I may like it you may hate it.
    I'd suggest if you can find the shoes you like at a LBS try them on first.

I just don't like the hassle of getting shoes online and not getting a good fit
    then sending them back, getting another pair and another etc. etc.

Jan 2004

If you haven't tried them on first...

Quote Originally Posted by Ceezer
    Sorry for all the inconvenience but I'm trying to get this stuff ordered by the weekend. I've read reviews on some of it, but I'd rather get opinions from folks here than order something that I won't be happy with because I wasn't knowledgeable enough.

So, I guess there are a few pairs I'm looking at, and would like help weeding out any that might be poor quality or overkill, or whatever. I'd like good shoes that will last me a while, but I don't need expensive ones if I can get by just as well on something cheaper. So right now the only three I'm really considering are:

Adidas Adistar XC Race
    Sette Element
    Answer Impact
    05 Specialized BG Sport
    Northwave Hydrogen
    661 Stinger

And I appreciate all the help
    before you buy them then there's a real good possibility that you may not like the way they fit. Bike shoes are nothing like regular shoes and we all know how they can vary brand to brand. My vote is for the Shimano brand. They have a pair in the $80 range that wil last for years if you aren't into big jumps and stuff. Had mine for 6 years now.

Feb 2006
    I'm new like you and also was close to ordering a pair of shoes online. I'm glad I didn't! I ended up trying on 3 types of Specialized shoes at a LBS and none of them were comfortible for me. My feet are kinda wide and the Specialized shoes were all tight so I found out that Sidi makes a "Mega" shoe that's a wide width. Well, I ended up going to another LBS and tried on several different brands and ended up with a normal width Cannondale shoe. Bottom line, is try them on somewhere first before/if you order them. A 45 in one brand may fit like a 44 in another, etc. They are definately not the same and not as similar between brands as regular shoes in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Hrm... well, suck. Ok folks, thanks once again! The shop here doesn't sell shoes that I can think of (there was 1 pair in the entire shop) so I guess I'll have to drive up to Florence again to try on some shoes.

Members who have read this thread: 0