OK...DJ vs. full coverage helmets?- Mtbr.com
    TNC
    noMAD man

OK...DJ vs. full coverage helmets?

A few posts lately got me thinking about these two different helmets and why people use them...especially WCH's incident. On the surface I don't understand why one wouldn't use a full coverage helmet all the time for DJ and stunts. Are the DJ helmets a style issue, or is there a functional reason? This is not a flame. I don't do DJ, so I'm curious as to the use and/or advantage of these DJ style helmets. I thought about different pros and cons that I could consider. I thought maybe it was a "heat" thing, but the DJ helmets I've seen don't look any more vented than a good full coverage...maybe less when compared to a full coverage like my Pryme AL. I also wondered if it was a "vision" thing, but I've been using full coverage helmets for decades in high speed off road motorcycle situations where you have to read terrain in milliseconds, so I didn't think that would be an issue. Can you guys shed some light on the reasons many like to use these lids. I'm not a scaredy cat by any means, but I've always liked my teeth, the ability to eat solid food, and breathing through a functional nose...LOL!

Aug 2004
    Ive been falling all my life. That adds up to about 15 years of experience. When im riding Dirt Jumps or the Skatepark when i fall i dont usually hit my face, so I have no use for anything more than a skate helmet... However its just stupid not ot wear a FF riding/racing dh...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The reason I wear a "skateboard style" helmet is because of several reasons. One I have skated all my life so I allready had one. Secondly, a good full face costs a grip. And thirdly the only full face helmet I have ever worn is the 40 pounder that my dad put on my head when I got my first four wheeler. I got a bad impression of any full face helmet. But, the other day I tried on a decent MB full face and the thing was light and comfortable. I might get one sometime soon.

Glad to Be Alive
    all it takes is one miss grab on the bar spins or not getting your foot back....i think pople should always wear Full face. If WCH had a full face he wouldn't have those wounds. again it is that one mess up that puts the hurting to extreme. WCH's injuries were worse than they looked and totally preventable...I am just glad he was wearing a helmet which is something he is just starting to do
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    all it takes is one miss grab on the bar spins or not getting your foot back....i think pople should always wear Full face. If WCH had a full face he wouldn't have those wounds. again it is that one mess up that puts the hurting to extreme. WCH's injuries were worse than they looked and totally preventable...I am just glad he was wearing a helmet which is something he is just starting to do
    Alright mom...

Jul 2005
    dj helmet at parks and dirt jumps, unless the dj's are big and I have never hit them before then i will wear a full, but full always for DH/FR

Quote Originally Posted by LUKassZ
    Secondly, a good full face costs a grip.
    It also costs several grips less than a new set of front teeth. The payoff is so high that even though the probablilty if having a bad crash might not be that great, it's worth it in the long run. Most parents will help you out with the cost if that's what's holding you back, so long as you ask them and explain why it's important. An $80 full face will get the job done, you don't need to drop $300 on a TLD helmet to protect yourself. TNC and SMT are helmet wise.

Glad to Be Alive
    The reason I wear a "skateboard style" helmet is because of several reasons. One I have skated all my life so I allready had one. Secondly, a good full face costs a grip. And thirdly the only full face helmet I have ever worn is the 40 pounder that my dad put on my head when I got my first four wheeler. I got a bad impression of any full face helmet. But, the other day I tried on a decent MB full face and the thing was light and comfortable. I might get one sometime soon.
    for under 80 bucks a 661 full bravo...light and very nice
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    full face helmets suck a$$ for dirt jumping. It's as simple as that. It's easy for fools who have absolutely zero DJ skills to say "always wear your full face". Anyone who throws it down hard on the DJ's knows what's up. You might as well start pushing for street skaters to wear full face helmets to. It ain't gonna happen.

Wouldn't it be great if WCH wore his full face, and didn't bust his lip up when he crashed?

Oh, but wait, he just busted his spleen in half, because he couldn't see his bars comming around on the barspin he just threw.

Someone call 911 WCH is almost dead now.

Now with flavor!!
    I do think it's harder to see but quite honestly you get used to it. Guys riding vert on 20" bikes pretty universally wear full faces, usually moto helmets and they throw down more trick variations than anyone on a 26" wheel mountain bike.

I mostly wear them because they aren't as hot. They don't cover your ears or below them so you do get more ventillation.

Pro Crastinator
    the more danger i feel i may be in determines what helmet or how much gear i wear, and i feel no danger out at the DJ's. don't be suprised if you find your way to my dubb spot and find me throwing down without gear. it will be happening for years to come....

and to all you pvssys who always play the "what if?" card, i'm suprised you still leave your house with all the "dangers" in the outside world.....

wear what you want and let the rest of us be. this topic is such a dead horse....

Disco-Superfly
    Its harder to breathe in a FF.... and the air that you do breathe in is hotter...

I use a FF for freeride and downhill and whatnot
    and nothing for street/fooling around..

whatever suits you better
    I never crash, especially never on my head so it doesnt matter much for me
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

N* Bomber Crew
    I'm starting to wear full face for everything. I don't ride uphill anymore, I walk as stupid as that may sound. But I feel safer, and I know if I crash I will be way more protected.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I do think it's harder to see but quite honestly you get used to it. Guys riding vert on 20" bikes pretty universally wear full faces, usually moto helmets and they throw down more trick variations than anyone on a 26" wheel mountain bike.

I mostly wear them because they aren't as hot. They don't cover your ears or below them so you do get more ventillation.
    Quite honestly you'de get used to riding DJ with a dress and a full pressure suite, but why the fyck would you want to? There is a reason that the same guys that ride vert with a full face helmet, go to the dirt jumps on the side of the ramp and put on a dirt lid. Same with the skaters who rock a helmet and pads on the vert, then step outside the park and bust a 20 stair hand rail with no pads or helmet. It is just the way it is.
    Last edited by zachdank; 10-15-2005 at 02:31 PM. Reason: better ventillation

Jun 2005

Best gear when dirt jumping.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EastCoastHucker; 10-15-2005 at 03:32 PM.

not really a noob
    why not go full face...
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

bg.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    Alright mom...

hehe

moms are more likely to consider it a victory that the kid a least wears a helmet.

mtbr member
    East Coast needs a full face because he is so ugly

not really a noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    Alright mom...
    lol, but i do agree helmets are smart
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastHucker

ya man! music while riding rocks!

you listening to music at diablo?
    what do you listen to ?

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by themarsvolta55
    ya man! music while riding rocks!

you listening to music at diablo?
    what do you listen to ?
    yup ...

92.7FM

almost the same music as K-Rock (92.3) in NYC...

TNC
    noMAD man

WCH, an honest answer.

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    the more danger i feel i may be in determines what helmet or how much gear i wear, and i feel no danger out at the DJ's. don't be suprised if you find your way to my dubb spot and find me throwing down without gear. it will be happening for years to come....

and to all you pvssys who always play the "what if?" card, i'm suprised you still leave your house with all the "dangers" in the outside world.....

wear what you want and let the rest of us be. this topic is such a dead horse....
    I kinda thought it was more of a preference issue than a performance issue, but your wording of it sums it up quite well. As I said at the beginning, my question was no attack, but an honest look into the reasons for the two types of helmets. Though I might think it unwise not to wear a helmet, it's not my head that's on the line. That's a personal decision. Aggressive riding of any type on a mountainbike poses its own dangers. It's just interesting to see how many of us deal with it...or don't. BTW, SMT told me that he thinks you have a really purty face, and he'd hate to see it buggered up...LOL!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    ]

too funny

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I kinda thought it was more of a preference issue than a performance issue, but your wording of it sums it up quite well. As I said at the beginning, my question was no attack, but an honest look into the reasons for the two types of helmets. Though I might think it unwise not to wear a helmet, it's not my head that's on the line. That's a personal decision. Aggressive riding of any type on a mountainbike poses its own dangers. It's just interesting to see how many of us deal with it...or don't. BTW, SMT told me that he thinks you have a really purty face, and he'd hate to see it buggered up...LOL!
    very purrrrrrtee

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    U need to come to the Village in NYC to find ur handsome soulmate
    Last edited by EastCoastHucker; 10-15-2005 at 10:16 PM.

Jun 2005
    After seeing the AM I BLEEDING video i think a FF helmet would be a good idea for any kind of jumping on a bike.

N* Bomber Crew
    I purchased my SixSixOne Full Comp for 50 dollars. Great helmet! Offers great durability and strength, is actually pretty light also, and protects my dome. I wear it all the time now, just so much safer.

I'm conteplating geting a TLD, but the SixSixOne may have to stick with me.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

BJ-

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WCH
    answered your question pretty clearly there...

Hisforever
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastHucker
    yup ...

92.7FM

almost the same music as K-Rock (92.3) in NYC...
    kool, isnt that christian rock?

I'm down.

PipedreamMoxie
    calling
    offering
    Yz 250x braap

Members who have read this thread: 0