OK dirtbags, Help with Lycra Repair- Mtbr.com
    Fight the Kakistocracy!

OK dirtbags, Help with Lycra Repair

SS'ers are known around them thar these parts as dirtbags; meaning we won't spend dinero on anything other than our SS's. I have a great pair of PI bib knickers that seem to have worn two little holes in the inner thighs from rubbing on a stupid piece of velcro that helps hold on my crappy little seat bag on my roadie. Roadie you say, go away, but I love to use these for ssing under baggies, especially since it is all I really need for most of my winter riding here in Tucson.

So, the crux is, does anyone know if there is a way to repair holes about the size of nickels in Lycra? Any patches? Anyone on the net that can sew something on? These things cost too much damn money to let some little $5 seat bag take them out like a cheep prom date.

Any help Obi-Wans? You're my only hopes.

Stay tuned for Bizango first ride report.
    veelz

Gravity, not just a good idea, it's a law.
    The only one consistently and constantly applied, no exceptions.

try driving your car less
    i have holes from the unused cable guides on my top tube grabbing the lycra and ripping holes.

i have some clear repair tape i use on my cycling jacket. it worked really well on my jacket, but does not stick to the lycra because it is stretchy. i have not found a tape that works. nothing seems to stick.

so tape doesnt work.

i just tolerate the holes at this point. they dont seem to grow.

but my next step was going to be a patch made from lycra (from some way old shorts) attached with shoe goo. but i hesitate because if it doesnt work the shoe goo will make a mess of the shorts.

try selling them used on ebay! say you are a japanese schoolgirl.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member

Sew it

If the holes are the size of a nikckle you can just stitch them up. If you keep that seatbag then I would patch the hole with as thick and tough an old pair of shorts or tights you can find. I have patched lots of shorts, leg warmers, tights, jerseys, and jackets. No real skill involved and it ain't pretty but it's lots cheaper than new.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Am I getting too bulky?
    I know this is going to date me, I'll get over it , but back when I was growing up, when we'd get holes in our socks, we used to fix them using a technique called darning. THe same technique will work fine for many kinds of fabrics, and will work for your shorts too. Basically what you'll be doing is weaving a patch into the hole using a needle and thread.

Here are the basics, http://www.ehow.com/how_648_darn-sock.html , but what you do is run threads back and forth across the hole in one direction, overshooting the hole as you do so, and then weave the needle in and out of those threads from a 90 degree angle. It's not critical that you use thread or yarn of the same thickness in the case of something as thin as lycra, and probably better that you don't if you're not that handy with a needle and thread.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    With lycra you can just use a whip stitch to pull the edges back together.

Fix the velcro on the seat bag or it will just happen again.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

King Pin

Wink Sh*t Scott

Now we got a damn sewing forum goin'.

Am I on "your" team, or the other one?? hehe. Cindy can fix 'em in three minutes with a needle and thread whilst in Oracle.

Probably drunk right now

Damn....

Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    Now we got a damn sewing forum goin'.

Am I on "your" team, or the other one?? hehe. Cindy can fix 'em in three minutes with a needle and thread whilst in Oracle.
    She cooks great sandwiches and sews? No wonder she's sporting a shiny new Retro that we've never seen pictures of.

If I send her my holy (not Holy) lycra would she mend mine as well? For her, I'll even wash them.

Ken

mtbr member

Army buddy

25 years ago I was in the army with a guy called "Skip". He told me a story about when he had signed up. His grandfather had been in the Special Air Service in WW2 and when he learned Skip was joining the infantry he invited him over to show him a few things. Skip was 18 and got pretty excited about what his grandad could teach him and he imagined garroting, kneck snapping, unarmed combat kind of stuff. When he got to his grandfather's place he was told to have a seat and "now that you are joining up I'm going to teach you somthing that will help get you through". His grandfather got out old socks, needles, and wool and proceeded to teach Skip to darn socks. I guess afer WW2 in the SAS he felt this was the most imoprtant soldier skill he could pass on. We all laughed our a$$es of when he told the story.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Has anyone tired just using a hot iron and fusing it back to together?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiecker
    Has anyone tired just using a hot iron and fusing it back to together?
    Not hot enough and even if it was you would have a thick, rough, inflexible lump.

You can sew it up before the iron gets hot
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

King Pin

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    She cooks great sandwiches and sews? No wonder she's sporting a shiny new Retro that we've never seen pictures of.

If I send her my holy (not Holy) lycra would she mend mine as well? For her, I'll even wash them.

Ken

Ken,

This site doesn't seem to allow me picture posting privileges any more, haven't figgered it out yet anyway.

I'll email you a piccy....can you post it? shucks, post it here, Scotty won't mind!

"Momma's Retro"

(please email your email Kenny.....lacey at cableone dot net......thanks!)

Look at the time!
    The best advice is to have your mom repair them it worked for me

i had a nickel-sized hole in my almost-new PI Quest Shorts after a crash

With lycra you can just use a whip stitch to pull the edges back together.
    i think that is exactly what she did. now you can't even see the spot unless you look for it.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

I am the owl
    When I put a big gash in a pair of new, expensive winter tights I used a neoprene wetsuit patch that you iron on w/ a slightly warm iron and some sort of cover sheet. It all comes togther in a package for a few bucks. Five years or so later and the patch is still holding up.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Fight the Kakistocracy!

Thanks for the info and chuckles

I will try it all out, and hopefully I won't have to beg the wife for a new pair. Maybe, I should get the new pair, then fix the old ones?

Thanks a pile of dust (since we are all dirtbags)

scott, still trying to get the image of Ken's shorts in Cindy's hands out of my mind.
    veelz

Gravity, not just a good idea, it's a law.
    The only one consistently and constantly applied, no exceptions.

Feb 2004
    "Have you tried staples?"
    -Bill Murray in The Grinch

Members who have read this thread: 0