Observations from a biker confined to hiking shoes- Mtbr.com
    Nat
    mtbr member

Observations from a biker confined to hiking shoes

Since I'm still healing my injury and am yet unable to ride, I've been getting out into the woods for fun and exercise by walking some of the popular local trails. Some things I've noticed:

• At walking speed I notice a lot more wildlife.

• People on bikes are really concerned about my safety, as evidenced by all of the warnings I got about there being bikes on the trail "going really fast!"

• People on bikes aren't going as fast as they probably feel like they are going

• People on bikes sometimes speed up a little before slowing down. Maybe to heat up the brakes?

• People on bikes like to show me their "race-face" to make sure I know how hard they're riding.

• It takes a lot longer to walk up Whoops than it takes to ride down it

• I can see and hear you coming on your bike from a mile away, so it seems to me that any hiker paying even a modicum of attention should be able to know you're coming and not be startled.

Only six more weeks until I'm saddled up again!

mtbr member

Workin' hard or hardly workin'

Very astute observations Nat. Have you found that big cougar who used the trail marker as a scratching post last year?

Glad to hear you are on the mend. Shoot, in six weeks the upper trails should be in prime order for you.

Hey, do you remember that one commercial with the guys riding the imaginary bikes?? That could be you. Just make sure when you huck it off one of the table-tops on Whoops, that you land on your feet.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    Very astute observations Nat. Have you found that big cougar who used the trail marker as a scratching post last year?

Glad to hear you are on the mend. Shoot, in six weeks the upper trails should be in prime order for you.

Hey, do you remember that one commercial with the guys riding the imaginary bikes?? That could be you. Just make sure when you huck it off one of the table-tops on Whoops, that you land on your feet.
    Ha! I love that commercial! I should dress up like I'm on a bike, replete with lycra top and bottom, then go hiking. I wonder how many people would ask if I lost my bike up the trail somewhere?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

mtbr member
    LOL. Nice find Garrett.

Quote Originally Posted by garrett1478

Making fat cool since '71
    Sort of related:
    Yesterday I yielded the trail to a pair of hikers who were heading out as I was heading in and the guy said: "Howdy, thanks. You didn't need to get off. You are working man, but thanks." I reply: "No worries bro. I just want to be a good example and follow the rules; It's not my day to be an *******, that's tomorrow." He says: "You bikers are usually pretty cool. I wish I could say that about hikers."

I wanted to hug him, but he was a little too short to be my type. He had too much penis to...did I just say that?

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    . He had too much penis to...did I just say that?

Brock...

How could ya tell...was he one of those lycra-wearin hikers?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I got real bored last saturday and decided to hike the dh bike up from lithia part to four corners. And I also came to a couple of conclusions.

1. Hiking sucks... especially with a bike.

2. Its amazing how rocky the trails really are when Im walking them instead of riding down them.

3. Walking up trails can lead to finding some really creative lines.

4. There is a whole lot more trash and random crap on the sides of the trails that I would think.

Im in pretty good shape and with my four speed dh bike, it took me 1 hour 56 minutes to walk/ride up. And 18 minutes down. Worth every second of the walk up.

Members who have read this thread: 0