Now what? Shoes.- Mtbr.com
    zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Now what? Shoes.

I've been riding Lake MX 165 since the dawn of my riding days. Size, fit, preformance ... all there for around $100. Found out this week that they are no longer producing the 165

So now the search for a different shoe begins. I see that Shimano has a few shoes that look similar and are priced similar. Any suggestions? Specific model suggestion?? Here are my main requirements:

Soft deep rubber sole. Flat profile for walking/dabbing.
    Around $100 or less.
    Velcro straps. Not a fan of those click strap thingys.
    Large heel cup for secure/solid fit but not hi-top.

That's it, to keep it simple. Any ideas or links appreciated.

thx.
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

Pivoteer
    These will be my next shoes, Five Ten Hellcats.

http://www.go-ride.com/SPD/hellcat-1...1287776286.jsp

5.10 Stealth rubber is as good as it gets. Very sticky, yet extremely durable. 5.10s are also very comfy, but a little on the heavy side.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

My other ride is your mom
    Pearl Izumi X-Alp series....sticky sole and they come in all velcro, or with two velcro and one of those click strap thingys.

I've been rockin the one with the click strap thingys since March and they're holding up well....and I do a lot of HAB. Other folks I know are on their second pair...and they do more HAB than I.

Ahhh the pain....
    I've had a pair of the Shimano M076's for about 1.5 years and they are doing pretty well. Some degradation of the rubber under the toe, but not too bad. The soles are rubber and very HAB friendly. Jenson has them for $59. Jenson was also blowing out the M086's which have the click thingy for $55...major good deal. I thing both of those models are being phased out.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Lake MX-165's are no longer being made, but that doesn't mean you can't find them.

A 5 minute Google search came up with these options:

http://www.trivillage.com/lake-mx165...ho0240-10.html
    http://www.mycyclinggear.com/lake-mx...ho0220-10.html
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...45524442618154

And Chain Reaction Cycles has them in many sizes.

Thx...Doug

"No Clue Crew"
    Google is amazing! What did we do before it?...........Drew

Control Freak
    I bought five tens and I cant tell the difference with my pedals my feet stay on with sketchers as well as the 5 10's. What I didnt like was the soles of the 5 10's are flat so when I do 'Fall" i slide around in the dirt but with my hiking shoes...I am better off..weird I know.

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    I Googled 'Something Different' and didn't find a thing.
    Yes, I realize that the MX 165 is avail in silver. I guess that this post was meant to find a different alternative. Perhapse I wasn't clear.

You are oh so helpful.

To those that are actually helpful, some good options - thx. Good to see some options around $50-80 that is HAB worthy.

Let'er Buck
    x2 pearl izumi x-alp
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Idea! Sidi

I have several pairs of sidi shoes. Road mtn and tri all of which were my first and only pairs bought. Sidi dominators last forever if you take care of them. I recently bought a pair of dragons for race day and they too are awsome.

Quote Originally Posted by zul
    I Googled 'Something Different' and didn't find a thing.
    Yes, I realize that the MX 165 is avail in silver. I guess that this post was meant to find a different alternative. Perhapse I wasn't clear.

You are oh so helpful.

To those that are actually helpful, some good options - thx. Good to see some options around $50-80 that is HAB worthy.
    I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass.

My point is this -- if you like the MX-165's and can still get them, then why chance it on some other shoes?

Odds are whatever your next non-Lake shoe is...you will not like it as much. Whenever I have to switch shoes because my existing shoes are either no longer made OR have significant changes to them, it takes me 2-3 tries to find something I really like....and then they change the shoe again. It's very frustrating.

Specialized and Shimano are notorious for this. It seems like every 1-2 yrs they have to make a significant changes to their shoes that affects the fit.

This is why runners always buy shoes in 2-3 pairs. That way you can keep recycling the same shoes as they wear out vs. going through continual hunts for the next shoe.

Good luck finding what you want.

Thx...Doug

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass.

My point is this -- if you like the MX-165's and can still get them, then why chance it on some other shoes?

Odds are whatever your next non-Lake shoe is...you will not like it as much. Whenever I have to switch shoes because my existing shoes are either no longer made OR have significant changes to them, it takes me 2-3 tries to find something I really like....and then they change the shoe again. It's very frustrating.

Specialized and Shimano are notorious for this. It seems like every 1-2 yrs they have to make a significant changes to their shoes that affects the fit.

This is why runners always buy shoes in 2-3 pairs. That way you can keep recycling the same shoes as they wear out vs. going through continual hunts for the next shoe.

Good luck finding what you want.

Thx...Doug
    My comments were not directed at you. My least favorite post is 'google it' or 'ever hear of search function?'.

Your information is good and yoy are exactly right... switching to shimano or another shoe leads into a whole new set of possible problems.

Overall, it's madening to see the shoe I use go out of production. Seems like you[ve been through it too.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    FWIW, when I used clipless pedals, Shimano AM50 shoes were the best I ever had. Velcro, good traction for hiking, not terribly expensive. They do, however, have a mid rise on the inside ankle and they're not light.

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    We spent considerably more time using other search engines!
    Jeez! we're all getting Googleized!
    I still use other search engines for that matter.

parenting for gnarness
    I really like the X Alps Enduro. I have had a pair for about a year and put a lot of miles on them, riding and hiking. very pleased all around.

I have Lake 190s (like yours, but with a buckle), and had Spec Tahoes. Both eventually fell apart, I used them on my AM rides so they took plenty of abuse on very gnarly terrain, so its not an apples-to-apples comparison. but I'd have preferred to see both hold up better than they did. What the X Alps do well is its a single molded sole that seems much better connected to the shoe than either of the other models. Walking in them is really easy and comfy. If they made a velcro-only version I'd be happy, but the buckle is not too big of a deal.

I just ordered another pair of the X Alps to replace my Lakes - they are a tad lighter, fit true to size. I got a deal on the 09s for $80, the '10 version is pretty consistently about $110.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

EDR
    Cholla, can you compare the stated size of the Lakes to the size of the X Alps? I too have been using MX165's for a pretty long time and love them, but mine are falling apart finally and I now realize they are discontinued.......boooooo!

Anyhow I guess what I'm asking is if you wear a size 10 (45?) in the Lake MX do you also wear a size 10 in the X Alps? thanks

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Cholla, can you compare the stated size of the Lakes to the size of the X Alps? I too have been using MX165's for a pretty long time and love them, but mine are falling apart finally and I now realize they are discontinued.......boooooo!

Anyhow I guess what I'm asking is if you wear a size 10 (45?) in the Lake MX do you also wear a size 10 in the X Alps? thanks
    I found the Lakes a tad big for size, not a big deal but noticeable. I wear a 42, my wife a 41 (she has the 165s), and hers are about right for me The PIs were right on, imo. hope that helps.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    I found the Lakes a tad big for size, not a big deal but noticeable. I wear a 42, my wife a 41 (she has the 165s), and hers are about right for me The PIs were right on, imo. hope that helps.
    So if I'm reading this right you went one size smaller with the PI's to get the same comfortable fit, as compared to your old MX's?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    So if I'm reading this right you went one size smaller with the PI's to get the same comfortable fit, as compared to your old MX's?
    41 in Lakes were good, 42s were a tad big. 42s in PI were just right. The PIs were comparable (for me) to Specialized sizing.

REI carries the PIs, you could always give them a try there for sizing - even if a different model, PI should be pretty consistent across their lines.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    41 in Lakes were good, 42s were a tad big. 42s in PI were just right. The PIs were comparable (for me) to Specialized sizing.

REI carries the PIs, you could always give them a try there for sizing - even if a different model, PI should be pretty consistent across their lines.
    thanks...hijack over.

EDR
    Diadora X-Trail?

Anybody try these? They look promising.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=50953
    79 bucks in limited sizes at PP

MTBikeAZ.com
    zul. I fourth the Pearl Izumi X-Alp. I was wearing them on the spring fling Triple H we rode. I have put 622 miles on them since January. Love them. I will buy them again when/if they wear out.
    Mike
    MTBikeAZ.com
    --
    How fast can you climb?
    http://helipadtt.blogspot.com

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    BarqsMan lives!! I've looked online thus far and the Pearl Izumi x-alp Drift looks perfect. It is consistanly retailing at $100. If REI carries them in my size, I will make a trip to Phoenix.

That's the only excuse needed to get that winter SoMo ride.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by zul
    BarqsMan lives!! I've looked online thus far and the Pearl Izumi x-alp Drift looks perfect. It is consistanly retailing at $100. If REI carries them in my size, I will make a trip to Phoenix.

That's the only excuse needed to get that winter SoMo ride.
    when i looked at the Drift last year, they had a more open design - sorta sport sandal - which i did not think would be good on the bike. please post up if that has changed, cause that one had 3 straps and no buckles iirc.

You can thank me with a margarita

Lake MX-165's. On sale. $65. Just about every size.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...tain-Shoes.htm

I accept cash, or booze, in repayment.

Thx...Doug

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Lake MX-165's. On sale. $65. Just about every size.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...tain-Shoes.htm

I accept cash, or booze, in repayment.

Thx...Doug

Awesome find! Thanks.

Work of caution though. Call BS first to verify stock.

Members who have read this thread: 0