Now I'll wear a helmet- Mtbr.com
    Braaaapp!

Now I'll wear a helmet

Wouldn't have completly saved my arse, but maybe I would have limped home battered instead of the the hospital for stiches. I always wear a helmet on the mountain bike, but almost never on the BMX (not anymore!)

I was riding my Diamondback/Jamis/Poverty/etc conglomeration of a BMX bike yesterday with a buddy. Came hauling down a hill and misjudged the height of the curb/gravel area/curb that I was bunny hopping, and jumped way late for the speed I was going. If I would have hopped 3 feet sooner I probably would have had a great day of riding yesterday, instead of the very interesting day it turned out to be. Today my eye is swollen damn near shut, and is turning into a killer shiner.

mtbr member
    helmets may look gay.. but I dont really want to take the chance of making my mom wipe the drool off my face and change my diapers if all I have to do is clip a buckle

Glad to see you were lucky enough to only walk away from a handful of stitches and some bumps and scraps... Heal up quick!

Sep 2007
    white helmet white t. perfect combo.

helmet definitely saved me more than once

Is now addicted to FR
    Jan 2009
    Ouch, i never wear a helmet, but this years its gonna come with me. At the Minuteman in my back pack. When riding and ON when trying stuff.

Braaaapp!
    Quote Originally Posted by SRacer
    white helmet white t. perfect combo.

helmet definitely saved me more than once
    I have a primer gray helmet, been sitting on the arm of the couch for about 2 weeks now, filling it out with sharpie doodles while watching tv. I swear I looked at it twice before leaving to ride, but though "naw, we are just going to cruise around and not do anything stupid".

I'm glad I got off as easy as I did, it could have been worse. I hit my head hard, and got lucky. Could have easily been concusion, broken facial bones, etc.

Big thanks to my buddy, we went thru this same thing about 10 years ago (cept it was his chin getting the stiches), and a thanks to his girl friend who caught up to us about 2 miles down the road and took me to the hospital. Everyone there was really cool, and the doc that sewed me up was a mountain biker (and didn't really look any older that damn BMXer he was fixing up).

My girl friend thinks that a mechanical engineer closing in on 30 would be smart enough not to do something like this on a kids bike. Ha, proved her wrong!

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006

This is my brain bucket...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebiker

This is my brain bucket...
    good thing you got that thick skull to protect that empty air inside your head
    i ride my bi*ch hard

Apr 2007
    i flew into cali to ride this guy Mike Redmans house. he has a track in his backyard. the first day i got there i hit the pro set and over shot it and broke my answer drive forks. i had just got a DOT Troy Lee helmet and i broke the side of the helmet. i' so hapy i was wearing it. i had a little cuncution but other than that i was fine.

Jul 2007
    cuncutions suck.

Braaaapp!
    Getting prettier by the day.

Monday

Wed night

My shoulder bothers me much more than my face. Although work has been interesting with the looks and questions I've been getting. I just tell em I went home, said "Hey woman, make me some dinner" and then woke up in the hospital looking like this....

I post too much.
    Ouch, looks painful. My helmet has saved me quite a few times too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by adam728
    I just tell em I went home, said "Hey woman, make me some dinner" and then woke up in the hospital looking like this....
    AHAHAHAHAHAHA, NICE ONE! that gave me a good laugh!

looks NASTY though

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My recent crash was a face plant due to front tire washing out on our dirt jump, the bike hung up due to we had just rebuilt the landing and it was way soft. I got thrown on my face and my head impacted like I have never experienced, cut the bridge of my nose with my sunglasses and broke a tooth, but the helmet saved me and I patched the nose and got back to it within 10 minutes. No concussion, not even a headache, say that without a helmet. I've done that jump a million times, you never know when your gonna get tagged, but if you always wear your helmet, it will be there when you need it.

mtbr member
    damn nice pics there.

i never have any accidents when im wearing helmet/pads but if i dont wear them my shins are killing after a few mins and my head hurts, i think the protection helps the confidence and then you ride better anyway.
    2008 Spesh P.1, Hope mono M4's
    Kona CoilAir
    Marin ??
    Prev
    MountainCycle SanAndreas
    Orange MsIsle
    Orange o2

mtbr member
    I don't care who you are or how good you think you are.. you will go down. Mario Andretti has said something to the effect " it's not , if you'll have the big one but when".Anyone who is ignorant enough to post that all they wear is a ball cap for protection is an idiot. I know many people ride without any type helmet protection and get away with it but that is ignorant to the risk you are taking. With all the variables that riding involves why take he risk. It's such a small thing to wear a helmet... a full face... a neck brace...
    Look how many lives the Hans device has saved In car racing... with the technology we have today why would you put yourself and your family at such risk.
    I know this post is about a guy that banged his head and got some stitches... but what if it was a few more mph or a few more feet air, just a bit more force on impact.
    I am not a fear monger... I willingly participate in competitive MTB and BMX events and accept the risk's but I have taken responsible precaution's to protect myself and my family.
    As much as Riding/Racing makes us focus on the moment we have a responsibility to think beyond the moment and be accountable for our action's.... Don't leave your wife,mom,dad,kid's trying to figure out why you didn't wear a helmet...full face..neckbrace...
    Safe riding everyone

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    Ok I do just wear a hat when I ride, but I ALWAYS wear my hans device.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I had a non-biker friend tell one time that I looked goofy in my cycling helmet. I told him "I'd rather look goofy than be goofy",
    I personally have seen a helmet,FF, save someones arse.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride.

check your six
    I can't believe that this arguement even exsists. I have seen this same thing in almost every forum. I just don't understand WHY someone would not wear a helmet....It takes such a small fraction of time to fall, and you could be paying for it the rest of your life.

To me, you should know when you need a helmet. The only time I do not have one on, is sometimes when I am pedaling in circles in the yard, just spinnin tires. Gots to use common sense.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    what i hate is when you are wearing a helmet and you still get banged up and stictched, like this pretty scar on my chin. nothing a helmet could help, but if i were leaned forward a little more it would have come in handy
    8BALL UP8

fear this
    Glad you're alright. Lesson learned and I should probably do the same!
    Norco Torrent FS
    Devinci Ollie
    Commencal Meta HT AM chromoly

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've bounced my head off the dirt and concrete a couple times, always wearing a lid though. Would have been even uglier if I hadn't been.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

Sep 2008

Glad I had this on when I fell at the bottom of a 14 stair... that break would have been my skull....

Just ordered a Bern Macon helmet... Hopefully that wont break... lol good fall though

SamIAm
    i dont remember. but i didnt think that bern helmets were certified.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Ahhhh, Darwinism at work, I just so love it when theory meets reality!! Vote 1 Natural Selection!!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SamL3227
    i dont remember. but i didnt think that bern helmets were certified.
    They make eps helmets too. The last helmet I broke was "certified" I guess since my skull is good to go it did its job... but still wish I didnt have to spend 40 bucks a fall lol.

Braaaapp!
    Just got some bills. Even with BlueCross BlueShield I still owe over $700.

In the end I'm not sure a helmet would have saved me much. The cut was actually from my sunglasses being pushed upwards. I got them back from my buddy and there was a very large amount of skin and some hair and meaty lookin stuff between the lens and frame, on both the inside and outside of the lens. Yuck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    just remember helmets (bike but not all skateboard helmets) are designed to break upon impact as part of the energy absorption, as mintioned some skate helmets do have soft foam in them for multiple impacts but those were never designed for biking, though if you are doing low speed stuff it would work since skateboarders aren't generally impacting as hard as bikers...read up the cpsc and other helmet specs, they are not all created equal!!

SamIAm
    a fullface mighta kept ur glasses from opening up ur face.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

fear this
    Quote Originally Posted by adam728
    Just got some bills. Even with BlueCross BlueShield I still owe over $700.

In the end I'm not sure a helmet would have saved me much. The cut was actually from my sunglasses being pushed upwards. I got them back from my buddy and there was a very large amount of skin and some hair and meaty lookin stuff between the lens and frame, on both the inside and outside of the lens. Yuck!
    The US is the only 1st world country in the world that doesn't have socialized medicine. It's pretty much ridiculous in this day and age. In the meantime, you could move to Canada if you had to!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I was riding a trail the other day and suddenly I found myself laying face down on a concrete stepping stone. No idea what happend, went otb so fast I didn't even have time to get scared. My tooth hurt and was loose but I rode on and it felt fine the next day. A few months later major pain, its still loose and I had to have a root canal, caused by the trauma. May still lose the tooth and have to have an implant, too soon to tell. I had my helmet on like always, but I have yet to fall on my head. Full face helmets would make a lot more sense.

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic
    The US is the only 1st world country in the world that doesn't have socialized medicine. It's pretty much ridiculous in this day and age. In the meantime, you could move to Canada if you had to!
    Isn't Obama moving to fix that??
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

Members who have read this thread: 0