Normal shoes for XC- Mtbr.com
    Kildare. Ireland

Normal shoes for XC

I ride a muddy forest 11km trail a few times a week. Some jumps, lots of holes and roots and tight.
    Im finding wearing white trainers is not working.

I have no problem with pedal grip as I just got a set of DMR v8 pedal, but i do have a problem with mud falling into the trainners and wet feet after an hour. Plus the fabric is hard to keep clean.

My question is

What make and type of shoe would YOU buy for muddy trails. (not the clipless type with cleats).
    with winter on the way it will get wetter. I was thinking a hiking boot??
    If your not slidin, yur not ridin

mtbr member
    Wear nice socks. I'm betting you're using cotton socks? I HIGHLY recommend Smartwool. For flat pedals almost everyone will recommend 5.10. This is the correct answer. The problem is there aren't really any flat pedal shoes that won't absorb some water. So wear nice socks and you won't notice your feet are wet. Why are you opposed to clipless pedals? Ever tried them?

Kildare. Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde
    Wear nice socks. I'm betting you're using cotton socks? I HIGHLY recommend Smartwool. For flat pedals almost everyone will recommend 5.10. This is the correct answer. The problem is there aren't really any flat pedal shoes that won't absorb some water. So wear nice socks and you won't notice your feet are wet. Why are you opposed to clipless pedals? Ever tried them?

I will try them in time. But I just spent a fortune on getting my bike ready to roll. The missis would go nuts if I spent another 100 on pedals and shoes. Plus Im a little afraid of them

. I might try a cheap pair of hiking boots. I seen mountain bike socks down in the local supermarket and thought. Why would anyone pay 8 euro for a pair of socks .. I guess you answered that question.

mtbr member
    Check out Shimano AM40 shoes, they are reportedly better than 5.10's in the wet.

mtbr member
    I agree with the above statement on the socks, they will make a huge difference.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by olijay
    Check out Shimano AM40 shoes, they are reportedly better than 5.10's in the wet.
    just gonna say that. imo better looking too. you can spray your shoes with that water proofing stuff too and that should help a bit.

Dinner for wolves
    Adidas sambas. Leather, durable, and fly.
    Responds to gravity

Dirt Deviant
    Wool socks rule for wet riding.
    For cooler weather I have several pairs of DeFeet blaze wool.
    For warmer weather I have several different wool socks. The Pearl Izumi ones are really thin and dry fast.
    Really, anything wool is da bomb!
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Kildare. Ireland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    just gonna say that. imo better looking too. you can spray your shoes with that water proofing stuff too and that should help a bit.

NOOOOOOO. Don't spray your shoes with any type of coating. Lightweight backpackers long ago realized that you're better off getting your feet REALLY wet in a breathable shoe than a tiny bit wet in a shoe that doesn't breathe. Cover your shoes with a silicone or polyurethane (or any non porous coating) and they will breathe like a latex one piece. Your feet will never dry.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde
    NOOOOOOO. Don't spray your shoes with any type of coating. Lightweight backpackers long ago realized that you're better off getting your feet REALLY wet in a breathable shoe than a tiny bit wet in a shoe that doesn't breathe. Cover your shoes with a silicone or polyurethane (or any non porous coating) and they will breathe like a latex one piece. Your feet will never dry.
    my understanding is that some of the sprays are still breathable, idk check it out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    my understanding is that some of the sprays are still breathable, idk check it out

I do know. They aren't. ANY extra layer of water resistance is going to cut breathability. Gore Tex shoes are dumb for that reason. They take forever to dry and don't do crap to keep water out of the ankle. Ask a backpacking forum. They've got foot comfort on lockdown. Try http://www.backpackinglight.com. There's more cumulative experience there than the rest of the Internet combined.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    To gsxr1 - Talk to some of the guys in EpicMTB (if you haven't already) for some advice on what they run up your neck of the woods.

I'm down in Cork, and for the winter months I'd recommend a pair of Sealskinz socks and either some of those Shimano AM shoes as mentioned above or the Shimano MP66 shoes. I use a pair of MP66 with SPDs and they are pretty good and waterproof. The only downside IMO is that they aren't the most grippy off the bike. Those AM shoes should be better with those Vibram soles.

Members who have read this thread: 0