Non-slim fit softshell jacket?- Mtbr.com
    Air Pirate

Non-slim fit softshell jacket?

I am in the market for a softshell jacket I can use on the mountain bike as well as other pursuits. I would like something that is not roadie-centric/euro sized/skinny jean slim fit bullsh*t sized.

Just about everything I see out on the market is either a TRON costume (fit and color/style) and/or has sizing stopping at 49 (and never a realistic 49...those usually end up closer to a 47)...even the stuff that looks more relaxed and intended for mountain biking is not offered for people that have a larger build. My chest size fluctuates between 49"-50" (at 6'1" 230 lbs)...I will fit many XL sizes in most clothing pieces, but never cycling specific stuff.

When I take a chance and try online ordering something that is supposed to fit in my range and is marketed as such it never does...these things always run small...very small...case in point, I just purchased a Showers Pass Rogue Hoodie softshell jacket that was supposed to fit but when it arrived the length was great, the arms were great, the chest was several sizes too small (seller I bought it from swore the sizing tops out at 49...fit more like a 46)...I ended up giving it to my 20 year old daughter as she likes oversized jackets.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a softshell jacket usable when mountain biking. My preference is in black, long enough to cover the gap in the back when bent over the handlebars, long enough arms to not expose the wrists when reaching for the handlebars....hood optional, extra pockets optional. Breathability is a must. Jackets that are not even cycling specific but can be used well for such are fine.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Try some running or XC ski stuff. I too don't fit in skinny euro racer clothes.

mtbr member
    I have broad shoulders & have been a weight lifter for many years so I share your pain. Patagonia stuff is of REALLY high quality & is typically a more American style cut. Their softshells are super nice. Not sure I want to cycle in one though. I find I sweat regardless of weather on hard efforts & then cold when going down. Lightweight wind shirts/jackets work well for me here. Then it's a matter of layering to suit the temps and a lot of zipping/unzipping my wind jacket to match climbs/decents. Even for backcountry skiing etc in cold temps I prefer a light puffy over my nice soft shell. Soft shell has been resigned to around town & campfire duties.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Men's Soft Shell Jackets | EMS

Get a cheap hooded jacket. I have a cycling one, but it's kind of slim, but my non-cycling Patagonia fits looser. I don't like the fleece lining on some for riding because I prefer to layer for warmth instead.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    You could see if these guys have anything you like. They have big and tall cycling apparel.

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    You could see if these guys have anything you like. They have big and tall cycling apparel.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have purchased some stuff from ATD before so I looked at their offerings. I liked the Multisport Softshell jacket, but it is not offered in the Big and Tall, the largest size (xxl) in the regular person offerings only has a range of 47-49.5" and undoubtedly will swing closer to the 47".

If ATD offered their Big and Tall softshell in black instead of blue, red, or eyesbleed hivis I might think of it.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Ive never used these guys, but they do custom tailoring, sizing. They were recommended in a thread awhile back b/c their rain jackets use neoshell, which is one of the latest wp/breathable fabrics. They have other fabric choices too. Seems you can really customize for your needs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Have you looked at anything by sugoi or pearl izumi. I am fat and find their xxl stuff firs me.
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad