Non Padded Baggy Bike Shorts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Non Padded Baggy Bike Shorts

Looking for a pair of non padded, no chamois, shorts that are little baggy and breathable. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places but having a hard time finding these. Everything seems to be padded.

Some thin cargo shorts with zippers would be nice but not a deal breaker. Looking to spend under $40 if possible.

since 4/10/2009
    under $40? you won't find any biking-specific shorts like that. Seriously. Even the cheapest bike-specific chamois-only shorts I know of are about $50. And from what I've noticed, the things that make a baggy short work well on the bike put it well above that price point, too.

At that price, some cheap nylon hiking shorts are probably going to work, however you'll also find that they have a sub-par fit for biking.

I really like my NZO Dobies shorts, and they fit the functional criteria you're looking for. But they're not even close to your price criteria.

One thing to point out is that most shorts have a separate padded liner and outer baggy short anymore. I'm at a point, though, where I have have chamois preferences, so I tend to buy those separate from my baggies. I have tossed the included liner shorts from a few chamois/baggy combos I've bought because the chamois was that terrible, but I liked the baggy enough to buy them. Most recently that was a pair of Club Ride shorts.

mtbr member
    Fox Indicator from a mail order shop. Might have to spend a little over $40 but worth it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just buy boardshorts (like for surfing). They are made of a similar synthetic material, and have pocket options.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for the ideas! Indicators look in line with what I am looking for.

Just strange to me that there are padded shorts for cheaper than non padded shorts. For example I was looking at Pearl Izumi Canyon Bike Shorts (For Men) - Save 53% and people said that they had cut the padding out.