Non-bike FiveTens for trail riding?- Mtbr.com
    Baby Bear is in the house

Non-bike FiveTens for trail riding?

I'm looking for a flat pedal shoe for trail riding, but want something that isn't bike specific so I can use them off the bike as well. I've heard of some instances of people using FiveTen's parkour shoes for bike riding. Is this a good idea? Anybody out there have any experience using FiveTen's Chase, Freerunner or Dome shoes for trail riding?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Cow Clicker
    No, but I own the Canvas Tennies and love them. I prefer them because it has a replaceable Stealth rubber sole.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    No, but I own the Canvas Tennies and love them. I prefer them because it has a replaceable Stealth rubber sole.
    Thanks for the input

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    five ten came out with new 2013 models that look rad on and off the bike, saw it in one of the latest articles here in mtbr

the dirtbag seems perfect for your purpose
    biker boy

Enthusiast
    These work for me:

Five Ten Freerider Black/Grey - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

The look decent off the bike, and are very comfortable on it too.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I just grabbed Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek IV shoes. They are pretty light, the rubber sole is VERY grippy and it does accept an SPD cleat if you want to.

I grabbed them for platforms, but also to keep the same shope when I switch to clipless.

Amazon.com: Pearl iZUMi Men's X-Alp Seek IV Cyling Shoe: Shoes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    These work for me:

Five Ten Freerider Black/Grey - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

The look decent off the bike, and are very comfortable on it too.
    I just bought these from amazon for $75.00

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've been riding for over a year in the freerunners I got for a steal off chainlove. I commuted in them, I raced twice in them, I put in two 60 mile days and countless 15-30 mile rides. They are not as stiff as I would prefer, but if you have nice wide pedals it's not too bad. Due to the lacking stiffness I wouldn't recommend them if you ride lots of rocky trails or like bombing fast down technical stuff because it will beat up your feet.

As an all around shoe, they've been great. I commuted and then wore them all day at work, I walked around new cities for days on end in them, I even started running in them last winter. They've done it all decently but unfortunately the insides are falling apart around the heal before the stealth sole is worn out which is a bummer. I'll be looking at the guide tennies for my next all around shoe.

derp
    Yeah i've been wondering this too and thought about the Freeriders but i'm now considering the 5.1 Danny Macaskill Freeride Shoes, they look "stealhy" enough to use everyday and from what i've read are not too stiff.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    I've been riding for over a year in the freerunners I got for a steal off . I commuted in them, I raced twice in them, I put in two 60 mile days and countless 15-30 mile rides. They are not as stiff as I would prefer, but if you have nice wide pedals it's not too bad. Due to the lacking stiffness I wouldn't recommend them if you ride lots of rocky trails or like bombing fast down technical stuff because it will beat up your feet.

As an all around shoe, they've been great. I commuted and then wore them all day at work, I walked around new cities for days on end in them, I even started running in them last winter. They've done it all decently but unfortunately the insides are falling apart around the heal before the stealth sole is worn out which is a bummer. I'll be looking at the guide tennies for my next all around shoe.
    Excellent input
    Just the sort of info I was looking for. Good point about it probably not being stiff enough. Do you reckon the Guide Tennies would be stiffer?

Cow Clicker
    Guide Tennies are an approach shoe. Never worn the Freeriders, but the Guides have a shank and look like they have less cushion than the Freeriders.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    Excellent input
    Just the sort of info I was looking for. Good point about it probably not being stiff enough. Do you reckon the Guide Tennies would be stiffer?
    I don't know honestly. I need to get to a store that carries 5.10 so I can see their line in person and make a decision. I may also make the move to clipless for "real riding" and just use flats/5.10s for around town errands and commuting if I have a short enough commute. The freerunners were in their element just cruising around but when it came to all day rides and out of the saddle climbing the lack of stiffness became more apparent.

Cow Clicker
    Order 3 or 4 different pairs from zappos and send back the ones you don't want.

Members who have read this thread: 0