no fog (or low fog) glasses for a small head?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

no fog (or low fog) glasses for a small head?

what glasses have you tried that don't fog up badly? I need clear lenses and i have a scrawny noggin so smaller frames are best.

Yeah!
    There are none. You can use cat crap and other anti-fog agents, but they don't work as well as you'd like.

Fog free glasses occur when you keep the warm, humid air you create from hitting the lens, both from your skin and breath.

wearing a mask helps, especially one with a neoprene upper. Pull your lower lip back so that exhaled air is directed down instead of forward eliminates fogging entirely, but is tiresome. I usually reserve this for being stopped.

Double lens ski goggles work better, but again, you have to keep your warm air from entering the goggles. I've been fairly successful in blocking the air ducts to keep my breath out but maintaining enough airflow so that the heat from my skin doesn't negate the gains. Every goggle is different, you just have to fiddle with them until you get it right.

Ski goggles with built in fans work really well from what I've read. Never have owned one.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Are you looking for something for cold weather?

I haven't shopped in a while, but Oakley was good about having some smaller frame sizes and some styles that don't capture too much air. That would definitely be a summer thing.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm looking for something year round. i live in VA where the humidity in the summer can get brutal and cause fast fog-up. early morning rides in the spring and the fall can have temps at the dewpoint so you get fast fog-up then too. and of course in the winter when the glasses get cold... yup, fast fog-up. it's especially bad on slow grinding climbs or after stopping then restarting. the ryders brand mtb specific shore goggles look like a nice option so i may give those a go and see what happens. just not sure how they'll fit with a normal (not full face) helmet.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think goggles are the wrong direction for avoiding fogging.

But I can't help feeling like I'm missing half the conversation here.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i know that when skiing/boarding, goggles fog up waaaay less than glasses. seems to reason the same would hold true on a bike. allegedly the ryders shore goggles are designed to pull air in from areas away from breathing zone to try to eliminate warm moist air from making its way to the inside of the lens. glasses have no such control mechanism, the warm moist exhaled air can just roll right up your face to the back of the lens.

this is all theoretical jabber from me though, well except for the part about ski/board experience with glasses and goggles. if i get the ryders goggles and try them out, i'll report back with some facts instead of speculations.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Possibly a few strategic holes in the upper corners could help, ive been tempted to do this with a few frames I have and like. I've had pretty good luck being fog free with the Smith Pivlock's as well.

Not trying to push anything but in my experience and I've heard from several others that keeping the sweat back helps with the fogging.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My wife bought me a pair of Ryder Shore goggles for my birthday last week so heres ride report number one. 5:30am blowing snow at about 28 degrees. climbs were slow and tricky. got myself good and sweaty in the process. conditions which would ordinarily have my glasses fogged for about 20% of the ride. not a hint of fog in the goggles. they had the added benefit of keeping my eyes tear free when heading into the 10-15 mph winds on my way to the trails. happy so far! i'm wearing them with a typical giro (not full face) helmet. i'l provide more reports as time wears on but for now after a single ride i'm stoked. i'll admit i feel a little weird wearing goggles riding my bike but i'm getting over that in a hurry.