Night Ride Helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Night Ride Helmet

I'm starting night riding. Putting my light on the helmet and taking it off for daytime use is already being a pain. I've decided to get a second helmet to keep the light mounted on at all times. I need a helmet that stays in place even with the light mounted. Any suggestions?
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by porkchop
    I'm starting night riding. Putting my light on the helmet and taking it off for daytime use is already being a pain. I've decided to get a second helmet to keep the light mounted on at all times. I need a helmet that stays in place even with the light mounted. Any suggestions?
    I do that.
    You need to find the helmet that fits your head the best (and not just for your night riding). If you need to use thick fit pads and/or really crank down the "head clamp" devices the helmet is the wrong size and/or shape. Try something else. You should also be able to bend over, with the helmet unbuckled, and have it stay on your head.

The best helmet for me is the Giro Semi, followed by the Bell X-Ray. I use the Semi for my helmet light.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Bodhisattva
    agree with Shiggy.

My day helmet is a Bell X-ray and I use an older & cheaper Bell, whose model name I can't recall, with my light permanently attached for night riding.

Rollin' a fatty
    I use an older helmet for night rides and never take the lights out to avoid the install/uninstall hassle.

My day riding helmet is an E2 and my night ridin' one is a cheap Trek.

Please don't burn me with the cheapo light, I use it to complement my bar mount set when riding in twisting trails.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem

Why not Multi-Task 1 Helmet?

Get a Light that clips on/off no prob. No need for two helmets. BTW JetLites Rock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Because two is even easier. I have 4-5 helmets so it is no big deal.
    mtbtires.com

those are Rollercams...

Two helmets.

I'm on board with the night specific helmet idea.My first helmet light was a Cateye with the TurboCat mod (yeah,I'm old) that I permanently attached to my helmet with silicone caulk.Now I use a Petzel headlamp strapped to my helmet along with a bar mounted TurboCat(another relic but it works)

Mar 2004

been there done that

Yup. I still have one of the original Giro microshell helmets. To it I have affixed a big patch of velcro, which mates with my TurboCat helmet spot beam, so I don't have to dick around with the light's original mounting strap. Oh, in winter, the same helmet doubles as my cold weather helmet, as it's also the right roundy shape to fit my goretex helmet cover.

Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    I'm on board with the night specific helmet idea.My first helmet light was a Cateye with the TurboCat mod (yeah,I'm old) that I permanently attached to my helmet with silicone caulk.Now I use a Petzel headlamp strapped to my helmet along with a bar mounted TurboCat(another relic but it works)
    My first helmet light was a 2.4 watt Cycle-Ops that used a Union halogen lamp. I still have it (in a souped up form) taped to a zebra striped Etto helmet.
    mtbtires.com

shut up and pedal
    Jan 2004
    I've had the nite helmet for years, an older scratched visor broken off and most likey some funky color that I no longer choose to be seen in the lite of day. Giro's with the exo grids the ones that tighten on the back of the skull work great.
    Also get rid of the velcro and mount the light and cord with zip-ties.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I like to keep my light in my camel-back. I was hoping to see someone show a tricked out helmut clip. I have been trying to come up with one in the mean time. Until I do, I wear my light on my head and loosen up the helmut a bit to go over the straps.

Quote Originally Posted by kjfp
    I like to keep my light in my camel-back. I was hoping to see someone show a tricked out helmut clip. I have been trying to come up with one in the mean time. Until I do, I wear my light on my head and loosen up the helmut a bit to go over the straps.
    What the heck are you using? I could never aim the light down the trail if I wore it under my helmet. Most if not all bike helmet lights mount very easily to the helmet.
    mtbtires.com