newbie needs help with pedals and shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

newbie needs help with pedals and shoes

Hi there, just purchased a bike today, the bike has shamano clip in pedals, but I don't have the cleets or the shoes. So I have a few questions

1. Can I buy cleats that will fit into these pedals?
    2. What is the difference between different levels of pedals and shoes, I found this site (http://bike-parts.pricepoint.com/sea...als&asug=shoes) which has all sorts of price levels for shoes and pedals combination, but what does an expensive pedal give me over a cheap one?
    3. Does anyone have any recommendations for shoes and pedals.

Thanks in advance for any info!

AKA Dr.Nob
    1/ If the bike was brand new then it should have come with cleats. If not you can buy them from any bike shop (real or online)

2/ The difference between cheap and expensive is the same as with nearly everything bike related. Generally - Better built, with better, more durable components (bearings over bushes ect) and lighter weight.

3/ My recommendations are to stay with Shimano pedals, and just buy whatever shoes you like.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

29 and Single
    Oct 2009
    1. Yes
    2. Bling
    3. Yes

Before I get parts of my post quoted and made fun of about answer #2, read everything.

If your bike came with Shimano clipless pedals then the cleats should have been included with all the manuals and paperwork and bits and pieces that came with your bike. If not, go back to the store and tell them they forgot to include the cleats and they should be happy to give you a pair.

If you bought the bike from somewhere other than a bike store or it was a used bike then you can buy a pair of cleats that will be compatible with the pedals. You will need a pair of shimano cleats and they can be had for about $18 to $19 on pricepoint.com. If you have shimano mountain pedals then you can get the SH51 cleat set or the multi-release SH56 cleat set. Go to pricepoint.com, look under accessories, look under cleats. Pricepoint isn't the only place to get them but since you seem familiar with their website that is what I looked under.

As for different prices on pedals and shoes: there are many different opinions. I personally like a shoe with a ratchet buckle at the top strap and full rubber sole. I have Shimano pedals and Shimano Shoes and have been really happy with them. Any shoe that is SPD compatible will work with SPD cleats for your shimano pedals. Word of warning: you want your bike shoes to fit pretty snug so don"t buy them like you would a pair of loafers. Try some on in a LBS to see what size you need and how they feel. Keep them on for a while and walk in them. You do not want your heel to slip side to side or pull out when you move around. This is important when you are trying to unclip. The more expensive the shoe, the lighter, (possibly) better material they will be made up of. The more expensive may last longer, they may not. Depends on how hard you are on things. As you have seen on pricepoint.com, they range from $25 to "DAMNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!". I feel that I get enough performance out of the shoes I bought for $100 so that is what I use. Would I like a pair of $500 shoes? Heck yes!!!! Would my wife kill me for it? Heck yes!!!

Recommendations: I have the Shimano M086 and have been pleased with them. They have a ratchet top strap as well as 2 velcro straps further toward the toe. I feel I can get them to fit comfortably and not move around. I have tried on Pearl Izumi Quests and found them very wide. Had to pull the straps really tight to get a good fit on them. Ask 100 people on here what they recommend for shoes and you will probably get 100 different answers. Go to the LBS and try all of the mountain shoes on you can then decide what feels best.

Good Luck, Hope this helped.

On wuss patrol
    If it's equipped with Shimano pedals, then SPD type cleats will fit the pedals. Make sure you buy shoes that are for SPD cleats. Jenson has some good closeout deals on shoes right now with a good variety of sizes. They can include the cleats in your order. It's a good idea to Loctite the screws into the bottom of the shoes.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chanredfield
    Hi there, just purchased a bike today, the bike has shamano clip in pedals, but I don't have the cleets or the shoes. So I have a few questions

1. Can I buy cleats that will fit into these pedals?
    2. What is the difference between different levels of pedals and shoes, I found this site (http://bike-parts.pricepoint.com/sea...als&asug=shoes) which has all sorts of price levels for shoes and pedals combination, but what does an expensive pedal give me over a cheap one?
    3. Does anyone have any recommendations for shoes and pedals.

Thanks in advance for any info!
    Didnt read all the responses but thought id throw out a few answers to your questions..sorry if its already been covered.

1. most stores will have the cleats in stock, they are a very popular item. if your looking for a good price, i accidently ordered an extra set..there pretty cheap anyways but thought id throw it out there...pm if interested

2. with the shimano pedals, all your gaining by going with a higher model is a little bit of weight saving..for example my m540 pedals were 50 bucks brand new, the xtr will cost you around 150-200 bucks...your really only saving a few grams in weight..shimano pedals are pretty heavy compared to other brands but work great for most people. not much float

ive been using the mt41 shoes and love them, they look like semi normal shoes, easy to walk around in, and are stiff enough for good power transfer...typically your gonna get a stiffer sole with the more expensive models, and a lighter weight shoe..

3. the pedals you have are probably the 520 model, if they have no platform...not bad at all...i wouldnt recommend upgrading till you get used to them and know what you want in a pedal. as far as shoes, im pretty sure they all will be compatible with the spd cleats, as long as they have a 2 bolt pattern on the bottom...just go try on all the different makes and models...for me, my foot really only fits comfortably in shimano and specialized shoes. Sidi, bontrager, and mavic make great shoes too, but dont fit me well at all. so find out which ones fit you well, keep in mind that all the different brands sizing can vary drastically. for example...my size in specialized is a 45, while in shimano i wear a 47.

cougarbait
    Cb>spd
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdamaster
    Cb>spd
    Time>Shimano>CB ...

because I use Time, many who I've ridden with use Shimano without problems, and I've seen so many broken Eggbeaters.

1. Yes, shops that sell the pedals will probably stock cleats to match
    2. More money often buys more quality and/or less weight. In case of shoes, you probably get stiffer soles and more adjustability
    3. Buy shoes that fit your feet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Awesome guys, thanks for all the responses, this definitely gives me enough info to get started. Thanks again.

meow meow
    i have shimano m076 shoes. they are my first spd shoes and i like them. padded well and not super stiff. however they are a bit narrow so keep that in mind.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Time>Shimano>CB ...
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Members who have read this thread: 0