Newbie Helmet, Gloves, Biker Outfit !!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Newbie Helmet, Gloves, Biker Outfit !!!

I just bought my first mountain bike last week, a Redline Monocog 29er. I took it on my its first off road ride today. It was a little rough on the hands as its ridgid, but I am a newbie and have not ridden a bike of any kind in over 10 years. I am sure with time, my legs will quit burning and I will have enough pep to make it up the hills.

I would like to know what is the best gloves, helmet, bike outfit for the beginner. I do not have a big budget as I spent $600 on the bike, so my budget is limited at the moment. If anyone has recommdations and where to get these, let me know.

I see Bell helmets everywhere and I see they got good reviews on comsumer reports, do I want one that is lower on the back for more protection ??

I am thinking gloves will help cushin the hands as I did not wear gloves today on my ride and my hands felt it. Some of it might have been me holding on too tight, but I am thinking gloves will help alot.

I see a bicycle outfit on ebay that says Discovery on it for $44, is this a good deal for a starter set ?. I wore regular pants and they catch on the seat when you have to get off, now I know why bikers wear the tight pants.

Any info will be greatly appreciated !!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    As far as helmets go, you will get the same protection weather you spend $20 or $200. the more you pay, you are paying for airflow, weight, and the name brand. as far as the helmet that goes lower, yes it will give you more protection.

I dont know to much about the shorts.. I just wear regular shorts. But I think I just saw a thread on shorts..

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I dont really need an outfit, I just thought with the tighter pants, it would be easier to get off. When I had looser shorts on, I had to get off in a hurry going up a hill and they caught on the seat. I wore my cargo pants from walmart today and they were not as bad. I am sure similar shorts will do them. I do know I could use some gloves to help cushin my hands. I will have to check into helmets know knowing that there is not a big difference. I am not into the best namebrand, I just want something that will protect my noggin if I take a spill.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thats what I did.. I just baught a bell helmet from Walmart. for around 20 bucks. I am new to the sport to. I plan on going on some night rides, so I plan on matching my bike light with one on my helmet. I attached a tacticle light to my helmet with a couple Zipties. that way if I scratch up my helmet, I dont care.

First and foremost, get a helmet. Seriously. One good spill without a helmet and you won't have to worry about gloves or shorts.There are plenty of threads on helmets, gloves and shorts here - don't be afraid to wade through pages of threads in search of the good ones.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Pemberton is correct that all helmets conform to the same standards.

They are shaped/fit a bit differently though, and a little more cash will get you something that fits better (go from one size fits all to sized more to your head) and is more comfortable (better fit+lighter+more vents). Something in the $50-100 range is nice, but a $20 helmet will do you just fine as well.

For more rear coverage without going to a full face the two main helmets recommended are the Fox Flux and Giro Hex (or slightly more expensive Xen).

And FYI, Giro and Bell are the same company, both put out good helmets, shaped slightly differently (I personally have a Giro shaped mellon ). Specialized also makes good helmets.

I can't help much with gloves other than telling you what you already know...they make a world of difference (and help if you fall and throw your hands out too). Last pair of gloves I bought I went to the LBS and tried on a few pairs and wrapped my hands around the grips on one of their bikes. I find that some of the ones that are quite padded and look like they are going to be very comfortable actually interfere with my grip, but I have small hands.

The chamois pad in biking specific shorts can be very nice, especially when you start riding longer, and they make nice mountain shorts now that look like normal pants but have the chamois and hopefully are less likely to snag the seat. If you aren't having issues right now they aren't something you have to run out and purchase.

I would recommend a good pair of sport sun/safety glasses though. The number of kamikaze bugs, flying rocks, and headers mine have sacrificed themselves during to save my eyes is getting up there.

local trails rider
    Helmets:
    try before you buy. Get a helmet that fits. A helmet that flops around or squeezes your skull is a pain in the head.

Gloves:
    gloves protect your hands against vegetation, dirt, pavement when you fall. Hands getting tired when you start riding is not unusual. Padded gloves may, or may not, help (if you can stand the feel...).
    More likely, you need to relax your fingers a bit. Hold the bar like you'd hold a hammer or a gun: firm enough it does not fall out of your hand, but not so hard you go all stiff.

mtbr member
    Also make sure your helmet sits correctly on your head. Most helmets come with some sort of "manual" that shows correct positioning. You should just barely be able to see the front of it when you point your eyes straight up.

I agree with what others have said about getting good shorts and gloves. You can find some cheap shorts online, but it's my opinion that it's better to support your LBS whenever you have the opportunity. And look for full fingered gloves for mountain biking. Mine just saved my fingers from a cactus the other day. Only one of the 30 or 40 spines actually made it through the glove into my finger, making the ride home a lot easier.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. -Ernest Hemingway

mtbr member
    http://primalwear.com
    bike shirt

http://www.pearlizumi.com/
    gloves, shorts, socks. Microfiber makes a huge difference in comfort level, especially on hot muggy days and wet rides through stream crossings.
    A medical student who wandered into Iowa

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    In order of priority:

1) Helmet - pref before your next ride.

2) Glasses - Your depth perception is pretty poor with one eye. I'm guessing you are in the US - I would imagine home depot or similar will have some for about 5 bucks. (You really want impact resistance too. Normal sunnies will stop bugs and small branches; but if you do faceplant in an open helmet you don't want to be picking the glass out of you eyeball).

3) Gloves. Depends on season; you may well need two pairs. Nothing worse than your fingers freezing and having trouble holding on in winter - but nothing fleece lined in summer!

4) As much biking clothing and other paraphernalia as you want to spend your hard earned on!

As with most things ebay is a good start for gloves and clothes (you should really try the helmet on for fit though)

I ride in a variety of tops, but any running ones that wick sweat away work well. I also have a couple of pairs of cheap lycra cycling shorts that I wear under 'normal' ones (not a big fan of the 'meat and two veg' on show look)

You should probably think about a hydration pack of some description too. You can always use water bottles on the frame but you need to carry some basic tools somewhere. (you only need a 5 mile walk home carrying your bike once before you start going out better prepared!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biker99
    In order of priority:

1) Helmet - pref before your next ride.

2) Glasses - Your depth perception is pretty poor with one eye. I'm guessing you are in the US - I would imagine home depot or similar will have some for about 5 bucks. (You really want impact resistance too. Normal sunnies will stop bugs and small branches; but if you do faceplant in an open helmet you don't want to be picking the glass out of you eyeball).
    )
    Glasses = Oakleys. They are awesome, clarity is incredible, cool, and stay on your face like glue + ANSI impact resistance. Will stay on your head better than a home depot special, especially on bumpy rides. Flak Jackets are awesome.
    A medical student who wandered into Iowa

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lampy29
    Glasses = Oakleys. They are awesome, clarity is incredible, cool, and stay on your face like glue + ANSI impact resistance. Will stay on your head better than a home depot special, especially on bumpy rides. Flak Jackets are awesome.
    True. Unfortunately the impact resistance of mine was tested via snowball impact to the top of my head. Now the lenses are scratched/pitted and they didn't even protect my eyes (weren't on my face at the time).

Finding replacements has been harder than I expected. Maybe I just can't use Oakley's website properly.

They are expensive though and I haven't had a pair of sunglasses designed with sports even partially in mind shatter on me even when they were much cheaper. They're nice, but you don't NEED $130 sunglasses to protect your eyes reasonably.

crash test dummy
    Aug 2004

Try home depot for gloves

I know some riders that swear by CLC Handyman gloves from Home Depot. They're 10-15 bucks. They look like this:

crash test dummy
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lampy29
    Oakley glasses are awesome, no doubt. I had a pair for 15 years (still have them) before I decided they needed replacement. Now there are a lot of cheaper, just as good alternatives. I LOVE Chilis sunglasses from REI. Polarized lenses with good optics (little distortion) for $20.

Some varieties even float (I'm a kayaker).

responsible zombie owner
    If you're looking for kit on a reasonable budget, I've found the Giro Indicator to be a decent helmets while also lightweight and well-ventilated. You can get simple padded lycra shorts (eg the Trek club ones) to wear under any sports shorts (I wear Puma 3/4 length baggy shorts) without paying Pearl Izumi prices. Gloves like the Handyman and Mechanix gloves are often as good or better than the expensive brands for a fraction of the price. Padded shorts, gloves and wicking cycling jerseys (Hoss Rustlers, and old Fox jerseys from 07/08 can be found cheaply online) will improve your cycling experience hugely.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I wear military BDU shorts & I do tend to pull them up alot as I've lost weight since riding. Not too big of an issue though.

I use Dakine gloves. Got'em for $18 from Pricepoint & they're nice. Took some breaking in to stretch them out a bit but they're comfortable now. Saved my hands recently in a crash. Mechanix gloves would work if the fingers are not padded making them bulky against the grips.

Chamois baggy mtb shorts would be nice but they're pricey & none are in my size. I have a pair of chamois undershorts but they make my bdu shorts fall down even more! Def. would be good for looong rides.

I bought a cheap Miami Ink helmet from Academy. It was all they had that fit me. Later I'll get a Bell or Pro-tect helmet. The MI is a bit heavy.

I Have Cookies
    +1 on the giro hex and+1 on the oakleys!! Wont ride with anything else........
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Members who have read this thread: 0