newbie clipless shoes, how do i use it- Mtbr.com

Jun 2004

newbie clipless shoes, how do i use it

I just bought a pair of sixsixone launch shoes recently, and it came in the mail yesterday..
    However I was expecting to be able to just use it on my bike as soon as i got it.. Doesn't look that easy though... What do i have to do in order to make it usable on my bike? My bike didn't come with any cleats.. (i'm using cannondale clipless pedals) The bottom of the shoe has a rubber piece that is mostly cut out.. except it's still held in place in like 4 places.. Am i supposed to cut that piece out, buy replacement cleats and then stick those in there? If i knew i needed more stuff i would have bought it along with the shoes then i could have saved on shipping.. The shoe just looks like a normal shoe with a piece somewhat cut out (not even fully cut out).. If this was all a mtb shoe was, i probably could have taken my old shoes and cut out the same piece myself.. I figured it would come with cleats or something since it said SPD compatible.. but i guess that just means you have to buy your own SPD cleats i take it..

Thanks

mtbr member
    Yep. You wouldn't be able to use regular shoes because they don't have the mounting plates inside the shoe and real clipless shoes are much stiffer than your average shoe.

mtbr member
    Pry the cutout piece out with a flathead, or unscrew the bolts if you see any, then go to any bike shop and ask for spd cleats. I don't think they're very expensive.

Once you get the cleats its just simply a matter of screwing in 4 bolts to the plate. You may have to remove the inner lining on the shoe if the plate falls out of place.

mtbr member
    Yep. I don't know the complete details as I don't have cleats yet.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by d3vil
    I just bought a pair of sixsixone launch shoes recently, and it came in the mail yesterday..
    However I was expecting to be able to just use it on my bike as soon as i got it.. Doesn't look that easy though... What do i have to do in order to make it usable on my bike? My bike didn't come with any cleats.. (i'm using cannondale clipless pedals) The bottom of the shoe has a rubber piece that is mostly cut out.. except it's still held in place in like 4 places.. Am i supposed to cut that piece out, buy replacement cleats and then stick those in there? If i knew i needed more stuff i would have bought it along with the shoes then i could have saved on shipping.. The shoe just looks like a normal shoe with a piece somewhat cut out (not even fully cut out).. If this was all a mtb shoe was, i probably could have taken my old shoes and cut out the same piece myself.. I figured it would come with cleats or something since it said SPD compatible.. but i guess that just means you have to buy your own SPD cleats i take it..

Thanks
    Cleats come the pedals not the shoes. SPD compatiblity means that the shoe will accept cleats that use a SPD drill pattern (which are most mtn bike clipless pedals). It does not mean the shoe comes with SPD cleats. If these are new pedals, you should go back to your LBS and ask them for the cleats.

Some bikes shoe come with a rubber cover for the mounting area. It allows the shoe to be used with platform pedals. If you want to mount a set of cleat you need to cut way those rubber covers.

BTW Cannondale does make clipless pedals, you most like have Shimano SPDs.