New shoes for wide feet??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. New shoes for wide feet??

After two years with my Shimano mt 50 boots, I need some new shoes.

I like the ankle protection of these type of "boots" but am willing to try something new. If I can find the shoe that fits without to much slip in the heel cup, I'll try low cut also.

The MT50 weigh about a pound each so I think it's time to go lighter.

Don't need or want a carbon sole. I want a combo of comfort and stiff but ya' gotta be able to hike the bike every now and then.

I am not a racer boy, so I am looking for a shoe for 5 day a week all mountain / trail riding. SPD.

I like the look of the Speshy BG all mountain boot but are they a torture device?

I like the looks of the Sidi with the mega sizes for fat feet but my wallet may not be as fat as my feet.

I am not into silver shoes...Dorothy.

Any suggestions? As I said , I have a wide foot.

Thanks

Expert Crasher
    I picked up some Specy BG Comp shoes this summer - they've been fantastic. They run a bit wide IMO so if you've got wide feet - take a look.

I've never owned Sidi's - don't know that I'll ever choke down that price - but w/ the good offerings from Specy - why?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    For wide feet, nothing beats the Northwave. Sidis are narrow and Spechies are OK.

I git myself a pair of Mission GTX, great shoed so far.

Scott boulder are OK too.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Oh, So Interesting!
    5.10 hightops are really wide. Now's the time

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Lake makes most of their SPD shoes in Wides and you can order directly from their website. I have 2 pairs of Lakes and a pair of Sidi Dominators, also in wide, and always grab the Lakes as they are a bit more comfortable.

Only downside is that they are fairly heavy, primarily due to the thick Vibram sole they use. Upside to that is that it is impossible to wear that sole out and they provide infinitely more traction than the hard plastic soles found on most Sidi's....And they're half the cost.

Lake also has great customer service. I broke a buckle and they sent out a replacement, free of charge, no questions asked.

Powered by ice cream.
    +1

Lakes offer wide sizes, are super comfortable. I am loving mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I agree the Specy Boots run a bit wide. Also, they come in two versions, one around $200 and one around $100, I think. I checked out both, and didn't really see much added content in the more expensive version, other than a VERY few grams lighter.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    I have both the Sidi Dominator Mega and the Lake MX 190 (in the 2E wide size). Both are quite comfortable but I give the nod to the Lakes when riding in techy terrain. The traction of the sticky Vibram sole (although it is heavy as others have mentioned) is extremely welcome when hiking or dabbing (i.e quick bailout) in rocky, technical terrain. I also bought the Lakes on ebay---new---for about 40% of the cost of the Sidis.

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Lake makes most of their SPD shoes in Wides and you can order directly from their website. I have 2 pairs of Lakes and a pair of Sidi Dominators, also in wide, and always grab the Lakes as they are a bit more comfortable.

Only downside is that they are fairly heavy, primarily due to the thick Vibram sole they use. Upside to that is that it is impossible to wear that sole out and they provide infinitely more traction than the hard plastic soles found on most Sidi's....And they're half the cost.

Lake also has great customer service. I broke a buckle and they sent out a replacement, free of charge, no questions asked.
    Thanks for the tip. I'm currently wearing the wide version of Shimano 225s in "Fairy Prince Silver" color. The shoes are good aside from the color, but they're wearing out, the model was discontinued, and I've had a hell of a time finding wide cycling shoes.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Awww, what's wrong with silver shoes??

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...=28174&cat=500

I found that the Sidi Megas do not agree with my semi-flat feet. Others have been fine though, including the Shimanos.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bling
    For wide feet, nothing beats the Northwave
    Agree with that, Northwave are perfect for wide feet. Only the distribution is bad in Europe.

Members who have read this thread: 1