New Shoes

Printable View

  • 06-10-2010
    c_kyle
    New Shoes
    I finally got new shoes. I had been running a real cheap pair of rubber-soled, lace-up Specialized shoes for the longest time...well, 7 years. I always thought they felt strange, with the BG hump just behind the ball of the foot. I would always get numbness and pain in the toes after a few miles.

    I replaced the above shoes with Louis Garneau Montana XT shoes. They feel so much better. There's no weird hump under the foot; it's flat like a normal shoe with normal arch support. Now, the toe numbness doesn't start until about 15 miles.

    I was thinking of throwing in some Superfeet insoles for better heel stabilization. Anyone use aftermarket insoles in their shoes?
  • 06-10-2010
    mbmb65
    Bike specific Superfeet here. I swear by them. I use Superfeet in most of my shoes.
  • 06-10-2010
    c_kyle
    Are those the yellow, what used to be grey? I use orange or green in all my shoes.
  • 06-10-2010
    static_mass
    I'm curious too... I just got a pair of cycling shoes, but I have flat feet and my foot bottoms get numb. Any suggestions?
  • 06-10-2010
    PaulRivers
    I had the opposite experience, so I probably won't be much help. I used Specialized mtn shoes and they were fine. When I bought road shoes for my road bike, I bought Sidi's - they seemed the most comfortable in the store, best looking (looked the least obviously like cycling shoes), tried like 5 other pairs of shoes before buying the sidi's.

    Feet were in incredibly, terrible pain. They'd go numb in a couple of minutes of riding. The fitter I was working with suggested regular flat insoles, then the black thing Superfeet insoles, then...well I tried something else I don't remember the name of as well. (Sidenote - why are fitters so terrible at fitting shoes and saddles?). I think Superfeet was a tiny bit better, but it wasn't much.

    I walked into a store thinking about buying Specialized Carbon mtn shoes to use with my road bike (sick of being in pain), the guy there suggested trying the Specialized insoles. (Actually, someone had suggested this before but I didn't like the weird hump either so I had passed on them the first time.) I got the one one step bigger in support from the stock insoles.

    Made a *huge* difference in foot numbness. Enormous. Road biking went from "definitely painful, why am I doing this" to "annoying tingling after riding a while". HUGE improvement.

    I guess my point is - since Superfeet didn't work for me, since you have the opposite situation I think it's likely they'll work for you. :-D

    P.S. I am definitely *not* flat footed, my feet are rather curvy on the bottom.
  • 06-10-2010
    Norcoshore1
    http://www.bicycling.com/gear/detail...-738-0,00.html

    i wear these when i ride they work GREAT. no complaints at all
  • 06-10-2010
    mbmb65
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by c_kyle
    Are those the yellow, what used to be grey? I use orange or green in all my shoes.

    I think they are blue. Have to check.
  • 06-10-2010
    dysfunction
    If your feet are going numb, it sounds like your shoes are too tight.
  • 06-16-2010
    BIGfatED
    Fully Custom Footbeds
    Cyclesoles are worth the cabbage. This product is backed with orthopedic research showing increased structural support of the foot, which in turn can help increase structural stability in the ankle, knee and hip.

    Stop riding on your spindle, and start riding the Power Plus Platform from Cyclesoles.
  • 06-17-2010
    PaulRivers
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    [URL="http://www.cyclesoles.com"]Stop riding on your spindle, and start riding the Power Plus Platform from Cyclesoles.

    Don't you have to pay to blatantly advertise on the forums?
  • 06-17-2010
    BIGfatED
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PaulRivers
    Don't you have to pay to blatantly advertise on the forums?

    Call it what you want. I'm just trying to help out a fellow cyclist reduce foot pain and enjoy riding their bike more.
  • 06-17-2010
    PaulRivers
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    Call it what you want. I'm just trying to help out a fellow cyclist reduce foot pain and enjoy riding their bike more.

    I'll leave that to speak for itself.
  • 06-17-2010
    shiggy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PaulRivers
    I'll leave that to speak for itself.

    I know BIGfatED. He is a fan of the product, not an employee.
  • 06-17-2010
    shiggy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PaulRivers
    I had the opposite experience, so I probably won't be much help. I used Specialized mtn shoes and they were fine. When I bought road shoes for my road bike, I bought Sidi's - they seemed the most comfortable in the store, best looking (looked the least obviously like cycling shoes), tried like 5 other pairs of shoes before buying the sidi's.

    Feet were in incredibly, terrible pain. They'd go numb in a couple of minutes of riding. The fitter I was working with suggested regular flat insoles, then the black thing Superfeet insoles, then...well I tried something else I don't remember the name of as well. (Sidenote - why are fitters so terrible at fitting shoes and saddles?). I think Superfeet was a tiny bit better, but it wasn't much.

    I walked into a store thinking about buying Specialized Carbon mtn shoes to use with my road bike (sick of being in pain), the guy there suggested trying the Specialized insoles. (Actually, someone had suggested this before but I didn't like the weird hump either so I had passed on them the first time.) I got the one one step bigger in support from the stock insoles.

    Made a *huge* difference in foot numbness. Enormous. Road biking went from "definitely painful, why am I doing this" to "annoying tingling after riding a while". HUGE improvement.

    I guess my point is - since Superfeet didn't work for me, since you have the opposite situation I think it's likely they'll work for you. :-D

    P.S. I am definitely *not* flat footed, my feet are rather curvy on the bottom.

    Especially with stiff soled cycling shoes, the shape and length of the sole must match your foot. I have long toes and a short arch so with many shoes my metatarsal heads sit on the "arch" of the shoe rather than in the "ball". Extremely painful! A different footbed makes no difference as the basic fit is poor.

    The Specialized shoes and footbeds do not fit my feet. I do use Superfeet inserts in most of my shoes to improve the support and comfort but I always check the shoe fit without.
  • 06-17-2010
    PaulRivers
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shiggy
    Especially with stiff soled cycling shoes, the shape and length of the sole must match your foot. I have long toes and a short arch so with many shoes my metatarsal heads sit on the "arch" of the shoe rather than in the "ball". Extremely painful! A different footbed makes no difference as the basic fit is poor.

    The Specialized shoes and footbeds do not fit my feet. I do use Superfeet inserts in most of my shoes to improve the support and comfort but I always check the shoe fit without.

    Yeah, what works for you is definitely highly dependent on the shape of your exact foot. Both shoes and saddles...
  • 06-18-2010
    BIGfatED
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PaulRivers
    I'll leave that to speak for itself.

    No one has paid me to post my opinion on MTBR. I have been riding some form of fully custom footbed/orthotic made by the designer of Cyclesoles, Scott Peterson for over seven years. Watching the evolution of this product has made me a believer. I utilized the hyperlink feature to help people better educate themselves on Cyclesoles if they were interested. My little slogan is something I made up, and you will not see it posted in anything related to Cyclesoles.......Maybe I should patent my slogan, then sell it back to Cyclesoles.....that should make me millions...

    I'm not here to blow smoke up your hole Paul. I am here to state my educated opinion of a quality product. Not to mention Cyclesoles is extremely relevant to the original topic. I don't hear you quoting the other forum members who promoted superfeet or the like.

    Get off your soap box Paul, and float down a river.
  • 06-19-2010
    PaulRivers
    You know, I was just going to take "shiggy"'s opinion at face value and leave it alone. I assumed his response would just sort of balance my response out.

    I don't really feel like arguing, so I will again leave your response to speak for itself, anyone reading can make up their own mind.
  • 06-29-2010
    Natedogz
    Using the Specialized insoles with the most support (green or ++ as they call them) works for me. I did add a bit extra shim under my left arch with three layers of carpet tape. I wear Birkenstock Blue Footbed Casual Arch Supports in my everyday shoes and it helped me beat severe foot pain which was plantar fasciitis starting in my heel. A co-worker told me about them and I went to local Birkenstocks store, they were very helpful. Use one size smaller than your shoe size usually. :thumbup:
  • 06-29-2010
    hedyaaa
    Just wear the shoes makes u feel comfortable