new shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: new shoes

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

new shoes

Yo,
    I need some new shoes! My feet hurt bad after a couple of days of long rides and then it hurts to get outta bed/stand up/ walk/ walk to the computer to whine about my feet.

The LBS all poosh whatever top shelf shoe they have bc "its the ****" but i'm wondering what people are using. I'm deffinately in need of "new shoes" but what are peoples thoughts on insoles? seems like the ones mine came with were made for sleeping in not grinding up some hill.

try and stay warm

bomby

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Sidi

Hard to go wrong with Sidi's. Spendy, but they last so long it works out better than a cheaper shoe. The Italians know how to make a good shoe, try a pair of Sidi's.
    "It's just that nobody likes Cornfish." francois

Ride, Sleep, Work

Try Superfeet

I use Northwaves with superfeet

How old are your shoes? I usually get ~ five-six years out of a set.

I would try Superfeet first if you really like your shoes. I bought my first pair ~ 7years ago and I will not do a long ride with out them!
    Click to save 15% off your 1st Hammer nutrition order
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/50110

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

for sure

superfeet are a nice addition to a shoe butmy shoes really would make a weak pair of backup shoes... sure teh carbon sole is intact but it looks like the dog got a hold of em...

so yea I'm willing ot put a pair of insoles in whatever I buy... superfeet make my feet happy on a 2-3 hr run... but my mtb shoes make my feet feel like a geisha.

I've been looking at sidis, a pair of Lakes, the new shimano bling bling...

keep the ideas rolling.

like I always say don't matter what you heard experiance is the best answer.

Bend, OR
    I've had my Sidis for four years or so, no problems, fit great.

old man riding!
    It depends on your feet. If you are like me I have very narrow feet and I could'nt wear anything but shimano until I got a pair of lakes and I think they are the best shoe I have ever had. They might be worth checking them out .. although sidis are great I just could'nt afford any..

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

sidi

All the way I say. I've had mine for about 6 years and they are still rocking. The shoes cost a bit more but feel like a slipper and are bomb proof.
    I have had northwaves, nike, shimano, specialized and lakes as back ups but they never came close to the sidi ghosts .
    As said by another , you will have to try on a few brands to see how they fit on your feet as it's a very person specific decision.
    Good luck on your purchase and remember that they should last a few years as a regular rider.
    Dallas "I love my sidis but the color is a bit crazy" Sigurdur

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    I not a big fan of Sidi shoes...the stretch/contraction is just annoying and if it's a wet race/ride then the straps are as tight as they go and my foot is still swimming around.

My preference has been Specialized Pro Carbons. Stiff, holds it shape well and durable....2 years+ with some serious abuse.

My insole of choice is Custom SOLEs . Heat modelable for a custom fit,supportive arch support & heel cup...they take up a little space, so my shoes cinch snugly which reduces friction (ie hot spots).

Eddie O

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004

glass slippers

Naomi and I have had the best luck with Specialized (BG Pro carbons, and Comps)...for myself, I'm lucky if I get a season out of a pr. of shoes before they'd kack out--probably from pushing my ss to much but whatever--the Spec's seem to hold up the best/and they seem to fit our feet well, we both have Sidi Inverno's for winter as well, and they work well for winter riding, but I've never found Sidi's comfy for the long stuff, that said I've used Nike's, Lake's, Northwaves, Diadora's, Shimano's, John Luck's...even passed a pair over to Dallas to finish off...anyway, if your LBS is really trying to unload something on you, maybe it's because that's what they're using, I know it's not always the case but maybe you should ask...everyone at the shop I manage "pushes" what we use...and I'm pretty sure a lot of shop's still work that way as well..

happy hunting!

P

mtbr member
    I've been riding the cr-p out of SIDI Dominators, which I purchased in 2001...I'm going to get another pair, but these still have a lot of life left in them

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I wanted to like sidis but they don't fit my wide foot. My toes end up grinding together. The shimanos are perfect....and the specialized fit fine too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

thanks

I hear ya on this... the next paycheck is comming i'm crossing off the days on my calander. I agree with the sentiment that a quality shoe will last a while. I'm on year 3 of the shimanos almost 4 and they have been abused and I have been happy. They are just ugly, and thats my fault for buying the ugly ones.

These "custom" insoles, I am wondering how that works does it form to your current flat foot... or does it give some arch support for my piggy's

No longer 26
    The Adidas Adistar shoes are pretty nice. I really like mine. I have the pros with carbon soles and ratchet top strap. The big thing I like is that the inside portion of the outer becomes the tongue so it does not slip around.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

chips & bier
    Second that!

I have always been a Carnac fan, but I can't get them anymore over here. I switched to the Adistar XC's last summer and am very happy with them. They're a tad wide for my feet, but they have soom for slightly thicker socks. The composite sole is much stiffer than my previous shoes - some which I'm actually more comfortable with.

On the road I use Sidi's, but they are a pretty tight fit, and very intolerant of a high arch. I've got the ratchet strap set on 12 (13 being the widest). Both shoes are - so far - super durable, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I used to wear Sidi's, Dominator, but they did not last for me, and my feet were not comfortable in them. I switched to the Carbon Pro Specialized, 18 months ago, with the three staps, no clasp/clip. They are super comfortable, have been very tough, and have been very comfortable on 24 hour and 100K + races.

Pretty affordable to for the stiffest Carbon sole made.

R I D E S T E E L
    I've had Sidis and Carnacs, but currently ride with the Specialized S-works shoe. Love them! They're pricey, but got an amazing deal through the team. The S-works has a different last than the BG shoes do, fit's me much better. I played around with insoles, as the shoes are really stiff. Can't recall where I landed, but shoes are much better after a bit of a break in. Super stiff and light. Hope that helps.

Feb 2004

shoes

Highly recommend footbeds. Have had good luck with Superfeet and more recently, Sole.

Make sure that when you pick your new shoes you try them WITH the footbeds. This will have a big impact on what shoe turns out to be the right one for you, at least it has in my case.

Look for a review of my new Carnacs at ride424 in a month or 2. Ill have detailed comparison to NW, Sidi, & DMT.

Cheers

C-Hog
    Jan 2004

Another vote for Specialized BG's

For years I lusted for a pair of Sidi Dominators. Finally purchased a pair. Wanted desparately to like them. But the darn things felt like a pair of dress shoes. Then I gave the Specialized BG's a try, and absolutely feel in love with them. Unlike the Sidi's, the Specialized felt like a quality athletic shoe, instead of a pair of penny loafers. The Sidi's are a quality shoe... no denying that... they just don't have the robust feel that the Specialized gives me.

mtbr member
    May 2005

To each her own

Lots of preferences out there but since this is an endurance forum, i'll cast my vote for a shoe that can be worn comfortably off the bike.

Lake MX305s rock a Pittard leather and mesh upper with double tongues to keep out scree...and laces (yes, laces) under the velcroe straps. lacing might be old school but its the ultimate for averting slop/personalizing (molding) tension on one's instep. The heel is layed-up extra cushy where the achilles tendon articulates for comfortable hiking on the steep ups.

To boot(sorry), they sport a vibram sole that hikes for days yet is supple for quick run-ups.

They have the depth to accomodate Superfeet insoles and weigh in reasonably light (500g)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

umm

so where can you try a pair of these superhuman LAKES on? I need to get my shoe buying on in 11 days

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Another vote for Lake. I wear the MX165. They are the most comfortable shoe I've worn albeit I haven't tried any of the super high end stuff. I've worn mine for a year now and they show little or no wear. They are bomber!!! They sport a Vibram sole which is great for hike-a-bikes. I've worn Nike, and two pair of Specialized in the past. All have been ok but after several hours of riding the bottom of my feet begin to get sore. Not with the Lake's. I love these shoes. The only downfall to the these shoes is they are heavy. Also, MSRP is around $109 but I've seen them on the web for as low as $65.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Performance sells lakes

Quote Originally Posted by bombsquad
    so where can you try a pair of these superhuman LAKES on? I need to get my shoe buying on in 11 days
    they do not offer the mx305 but they may have the 220. any MX model will give you a general idea about sizing. they are pretty true to size. the mx220 is no slouch shoe either but i think its suede instead of the ultra-molding pittard of the 305.

i recommend buying your endurance shoe 1/2 size bigger than you use for a "dirt crit" shoe. over time, endurance riding causes your feet to swell (achilles, etc.) so you need some play in there to accomodate.

if you want the 305 i would contact Lake. there was a rumour at vegas that it might be phased out/morphed so there could be deals on them this spring.

Members who have read this thread: 0