New Shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: New Shoes

Mar 2005

New Shoes

6'1" 230. Can anyone suggest a good pair of MTB shoes? I have been using Cannondales Shoe for the past couple of years. They are comfortable but very heavy, they are more like recreational shoes with a cleat on the bottom. I am looking for something a little more MTB specific. I would like to keep the cost around $80. Comfort is the key, when your feet hurt the day is wasted.
    Thanks

mtbr member

Diadora Gecko

Quote Originally Posted by Hinch
    6'1" 230. Can anyone suggest a good pair of MTB shoes? I have been using Cannondales Shoe for the past couple of years. They are comfortable but very heavy, they are more like recreational shoes with a cleat on the bottom. I am looking for something a little more MTB specific. I would like to keep the cost around $80. Comfort is the key, when your feet hurt the day is wasted.
    Thanks
    Check out the Diadora Gecko. You can find them for around $50.00. Good shoe for not a lot of cash.

adult onset ADHD
    Actually, I have the Cannondale shoes and just last week purchased the Adidas Durango from Pricepoint, they were nice enough to match the other place's price $59.99. They seem stiff and sturdy compared to the Cannondale which seems more like hikers. They will take some getting used to, because Adidas doesn't have laces.. just 3 velcro straps that makes the heel feel somewhat looser, and the sole is A LOT stiffer. I think they will work out better though for most of my XC type riding.
    Respect your local Woodland Spirits

WNY Mountain Biking Assoc.

May 2004
    Try on some Shimanos, they make some good shoes. If you can, save some money and get a carbon soled shoe. You'll never regret it.

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004

Answer to your question first then......

a shoe question of my own.

I been using Specialized Sports for a few years and they are very comfortable. Last I saw they were on sale a few months back for around 30. As for the weight, they may be a little heavy but I have been using them for a while and don't notice it.

Now for my question. I have a pair of Specialized Carbon Facts with the new body geometry. After riding about 2 hours in them, my feet are sore on the outside edges. Does anyone else have these and have the same problem?
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Whatever you get you have to try them on to be sure they fit.

The Pearl Izumi Vagabonds are a very nice low cost shoe. More race oriented and still very solid.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnSpectre

I been using Specialized Sports for a few years and they are very comfortable. Last I saw they were on sale a few months back for around 30. As for the weight, they may be a little heavy but I have been using them for a while and don't notice it.

Now for my question. I have a pair of Specialized Carbon Facts with the new body geometry. After riding about 2 hours in them, my feet are sore on the outside edges. Does anyone else have these and have the same problem?
    That usually means the shoes do not fit you well. They could be too narrow or the contour of the sole is the wrong shape for your foot.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnSpectre

I believe the inner sole is slanted, maybe get a pair if gel soles and swap them for a ride

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    i've had geko, nike, shitmano and Lake. Lake has been by FAR the best.

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004
    I'll try that and let ya know what happens. But like I said, on shorter rides I have no issues.
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Diadora

mtbr member
    Which Lakes did you have and why did you like them? Was it fit, lasted long, comfy, or stiff sole? Thanks.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinch
    Thanks
    You mean to tell me that there are other MTB shoes other than SIDI? Not in my book anyway.

mtbr member
    What about Answer shoes, particularly the XC1 model?

I'm looking to replace my Nike Yuha Plus?? shoes after a stick went through one and split my toes apart.

Members who have read this thread: 0