New Shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: New Shoes

Mar 2005

New Shoes

6'1" 230. Can anyone suggest a good pair of MTB shoes? I have been using Cannondales Shoe for the past couple of years. They are comfortable but very heavy, they are more like recreational shoes with a cleat on the bottom. I am looking for something a little more MTB specific. I would like to keep the cost around $80. Comfort is the key, when your feet hurt the day is wasted.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Well, I'm right around your size, little taller though....

6'5" and 230 with long skinny feet. I wear a 12 B according to traditional US sizing. I prefer the Specialized Comp MTB shoe. Reasonably light, three velcro straps that allow for a good snug fit, removeable toe spikes, and a good stiff platform for your foot. If you have medium to narrow feet, they fit quite well. If your feet are wider they may be a bit on the snug side. I would highly recommend trying a pair on before pulling the trigger. I NEVER buy riding shoes online unless I am replacing the shoe with the same exact thing. Otherwise you can run into fit problems. I should note that my shoes are two years old and holding up very well. Back then they were at the $80 price point. Then in 05 they became the Body Geometry Sport MTB shoe, and lost the toe spikes. The new Comps use a ratchet type top strap and increased in price to $130. Also it should be noted that the body geometry system is not for everyone. So deffinately try them on before you buy. The Sports do have the same tread and foot bed as the Comps and should be very similar.

But as I said, I would try to find a Specialized dealer that carries the shoes and try them on before hand. Anyway they work for me, you might want to check em out.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Big Test Icycles
    I just picked up a pair of Lake M-165 shoes from Bike Nashbar as a Christmas gift. They fit great (43) snug but not Shimano toe box tight. Anyway for $69 they were/are a steel. They have a Vibrum sole which comes in handy when hiking your bike or for that matter just walking in them. They have real leather uppers, laces and three straps. I have put some miles on them and they are great so far. I have had Shimano shoes in the past and they were good too but cost a bit more. Good luck

Note. I read a good article about shoe sizing which basically said the more room your foot has in a cycling shoe the more prone to injury you are. The shoe should be tight. I bought on line because I know I am a 43 and would return them if they were off a bit but try them on first if you get a chance.
    Last edited by Hangtime; 02-07-2006 at 01:44 AM.

mtbr member

well

Quote Originally Posted by Hinch
    6'1" 230. Can anyone suggest a good pair of MTB shoes? I have been using Cannondales Shoe for the past couple of years. They are comfortable but very heavy, they are more like recreational shoes with a cleat on the bottom. I am looking for something a little more MTB specific. I would like to keep the cost around $80. Comfort is the key, when your feet hurt the day is wasted.
    Thanks

I know you want to keep the price down. However the best advice I can give you is to save up and get some sidi's. The bullets are great and cheaper than the Dominator's (same shoe with velcro strap instead of buckle)

Nashbar has some on sale:

Bullet!
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Rampa:
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

I have tried about every shoe out there, and when i finally shelled out and got the sidi's--i have never gone back. Actually i am still riding a pair of Dominator 2's. Sidi's are the only shoe i have used that are comfortable before-during-and after the ride both on and off the bike. They are well worth it!

Just my $.02
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

Members who have read this thread: 0