New riding friends & another girl in lycra- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New riding friends & another girl in lycra

Okay, so I have become fixated on young girls in lycra. This is bad? A definition if I may from Webster. "Fixation - n - A strong, often unhealthy attachment or preoccupation. - fixate - v."

Doesn't seem unhealthy to me!

Anyway, I arrived at my favorite local trail last night around 4 pm with Fat [email protected] in tow. The hardtail is in the shop getting a new cog and chain and general adjustments to the deraillurers. I saw one other rider across the parking lot doing something with his bike. We waved and I was off for a solo repeat of Sunday's interrupted ride. (remember the one with laughing bears and broken chains? No? Read my post entitled "Hardtails and Mountain Lions" if you care for details. If you don't, don't.)

I limited myself to a nice one hour loop over the usual technical terrain. We had experienced some impressive lightning and thunder storms the previous evening and I did not want to be caught too far from the car.

I finished on a new to me trail that ended in a climb over rocks out of the trees that dumped you on the eastern side of the parking lot. As it turned out, directly into a crowd of seven riders preparing to ride. One was the person I had waved to earlier.

It was hard to avoid conversation if I had wanted to so we conversed and they asked if I wanted to join them. Sure. The storm had still not arrived so I'd chance it.

The leader by default introduced me to everyone and I promptly forgot everyone's names except a girl I will call Bev. I called her Bev because her name was Bev. You thought I had other reasons? The leader said I would probably spend my ride following her.

"She is that fast?" I asked. "No, its the view" he replied.

At that point the eight of us began. No one wanted to start on the rail trail that required a mile of pedaling through gravel so we rode directly on dirt and rocks. Just because of where I was standing I was third in the line. I was warmed up and had no trouble keeping up even if I was the oldest in the group by almost eight years. Age gave me an excuse to hang back if I so desired or was forced to by lack of conditioning.

The bikes involved were a mix of hardtails and FS. Some expensive, some not. Bev was riding a rigid Cannondale with canti brakes. It always amazes me how practical female riders are because she was the first person to pass me without the help of an expensive up-to-the-minute most technical machine. Rigid or not she could ride. I followed closely behind as the leader predicted. I passed her again on a climb and we conversed for a while. Nice person as it turned out. Being nice trumps having a nice bike. Trumps most things to me.

We continued a generally upward ride for a few miles and I slowly made my way to the back of the pack. This was not by design. This was by reality.

When we got to where we were going we gathered up when a cell phone interupped the group. What the Hell? Sh!t, its mine. I carry the phone for emergencies and keep it turned off or so I thought. It was my son, REV III. Maybe he was in the parking lot with his bike looking for me. If so, I would leave the group and join him but he was looking for a phone number of his grandmother who had recently moved and changed phones. I gave him the information, apologized to everyone, turned off the phone and we were off on a trail they called the "Waterfall." No, it is called the "Drop of Despair" I told them. That is the official name because I wrote a story for Dirt Rag and mentioned it and the trails that followed by name. (My names but better than the Blue Trail or White Trail or other names given by the County Park Commission). They agreed with my names. Drop of Despair, Devil's Rock Garden, Satan's Climb and the Fire Road from Hell. By the way, Dirt Rag never actually published that story but they have published others I wrote so I left it there.

A few rode the complete Drop of Despair but most of us didn't. Off camber, eroded, full of loose and big rocks it was not easy. All walked at least part of the Devil's Rock Garden, some dismounted for tree falls on Satan's Climb and we eventually regrouped for the Fire Road from Hell. Warnings were given to those who had not ridden it to take care. It was long, steep, and dangerous. I am not sure if anyone made the whole two miles but no one had any major crashes that day. The leader had dislocated his shoulder previously on this very road and knew of its dangers.

Finally, after an hour and a half we finished where we had begun. All begged off any further rides and plans were made to meet again next Wednesday.

The storm did not show up until I arrived home and was nowhere near as bad as the day before with no tornado warnings or dangerous lightning.

I'm looking forward to next week and hope you enjoyed the ride.

Peace
    Last edited by Rev Bubba; 06-03-2004 at 07:16 AM.

Jabberwocky Jockey

Pictures didn't load

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba
    Okay, so I have become fixated on young girls in lycra. This is bad? A definition if I may from Webster. "Fixation - n - A strong, often unhealthy attachment or preoccupation. - fixate - v."

Doesn't seem unhealthy to me!
    Not in the least. I am sure that a regular viewing of young girls in lycra will be proven to ward off all kinds of unhealthy conditions.
    The leader by default introduced me to everyone and I promptly forgot everyone's names except a girl I will call Bev. I called her Bev because her name was Bev. You thought I had other reasons? The leader said I would probably spend my ride following her.

"She is that fast?" I asked. "No, its the view" he replied.
    Perhaps you should combine your fixation of YGIL with a passion for PHOTOGRAPHY

Sounds like a great ride. Thanks for sharing.
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Splendid tale.

Young girls in lycra are a treat for old eyes, for sure. Nice ride report. Sounds like a fun park/forest/whatever to ride in. I want to try and ride the whole Drop of Despair AND the Devil's Rock Garden.

Bb, [ it's tough being older that many YGIL's parents. ]
    bikes are art you ride

Jan 2004
    excellent writing, rev. good way to start the day.

mtbr member

I get to look at both mothers and daughters

As a sage once said, "The older you get, the more younger women you get to look at."

On another topic, there is an interesting thread under General Discussion on EWR bikes. You need to post a picture of yours there.

See you at JT.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I owe you.

Oooo Mama! That's some *spicy* old sage!

Thanks for the heads-up on the EWR over on General. I went and posted that way old pic I have. I need to get an updated shot.

I promised to put up a couple of old comics I had relating to spending. Hope they make the transition from here to this page.

Bb, [ Rev Rules! ]

As a sage once said, "The older you get, the more younger women you get to look at."

On another topic, there is an interesting thread under General Discussion on EWR bikes. You need to post a picture of yours there.

See you at JT.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bikes are art you ride

mtbr member

Another enchanting tale

And still no darn pictures! Oh well...one can only imagine I guess. Where abouts do you ride again Rev? I know you're in the north Jersey... trails you ride are in Deer Park or Allamuchy if I remember correctly? I'm in the Poconos, about 10 minutes north of Camelback. One of these days I may ask to tag along on one of your rides if you don't mind my asking. I must sample the neautiful vistas, trails and YGIL you so elouently write about.
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

mtbr member

This ride was at Mahlon Dickerson in Jefferson

My two main riding areas are Mahlon Dickerson in Jefferson and Kittatinny State Park in Andover or one of the local trails just outside my house in Rockaway. Yes, I do ride lots of other areas but these seem to be where I ride most.

Next group ride is supposed to be next Wednesday night at 5 pm starting in the Saffin Pond parking lot at the Mahlon Dickerson Reservation. Just look for the group. It will be the only one. I'm the new guy

mtbr member
    My two main riding areas are Mahlon Dickerson in Jefferson and Kittatinny State Park in Andover or one of the local trails just outside my house in Rockaway. Yes, I do ride lots of other areas but these seem to be where I ride most.

Next group ride is supposed to be next Wednesday night at 5 pm starting in the Saffin Pond parking lot at the Mahlon Dickerson Reservation. Just look for the group. It will be the only one. I'm the new guy
    Next Wednesday at 5pm? Seeing as I get off at 7pm from work in Hackensack, it looks like I won't be making that group ride. Perhaps another time, preferably a weekend? Are you going to Jim Thorpe MTB Weekend? I'm still considering it as it's only a short drive from my place...hmmm...maybe my wife will let me play that weekend...
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

mtbr member

I'll be at Jim Thorpe but it is sold out

Attendence is limited to the first 1000 applicants and spaces go fast. I suppose you could crash but that's not nice. For information on next years event and the possibility of left over tickets for this year try their web site at www.SoEast.com. Best to get on the mailing list. Next year will be the 20th MBW and might just be the last from what I've heard. Could be the end of a great mountain biking tradition. This years event is scheduled for June 18-20. It is always on Father's Day weekend.

My weekend rides tend not to be planned until about 10 minutes before I leave. Hard to say when or where I will be in advance. I may post something on a group ride some time this summer though. We did one at Kittatinny in Andover last summer that worked pretty well.

mtbr member

Pictures? Me?

Better to imagine perfection than see imperfection. The mind is the best camera.
    (I'm too cheap to buy a digital camera and my SLR is to heavy to carry on ride)

mtbr member
    Attendence is limited to the first 1000 applicants and spaces go fast. I suppose you could crash but that's not nice. For information on next years event and the possibility of left over tickets for this year try their web site at www.SoEast.com. Best to get on the mailing list. Next year will be the 20th MBW and might just be the last from what I've heard. Could be the end of a great mountain biking tradition. This years event is scheduled for June 18-20. It is always on Father's Day weekend.

My weekend rides tend not to be planned until about 10 minutes before I leave. Hard to say when or where I will be in advance. I may post something on a group ride some time this summer though. We did one at Kittatinny in Andover last summer that worked pretty well.
    According to their website, they still have 115 spots left unless you have an insider scoop. Don't know how the wife would feel if I lleft the family on Father's Day weekend to go ride my bike...

A group ride some time this summer would be cool. Let me know or just post here whenever and if you decide to set something up.
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

mtbr member

Go Friday & Saturday and be home on Father's Day

In my case, the wife comes with me and rides and the kids are old enough not to care if I'm home or not. I let them get me bike stuff for Father's Day and my birthday (6/21) anyway so they understand.

Nothing really happens on Sunday so you could just leave Saturday night. Really great event and I'm surprised there are openings.