New Rider - Need Big Shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New Rider - Need Big Shoes

I am so glad I saw this forum. I am 6'05" 230 pounds and wear size 15 street shoes. I went to a bike shop and they told me I take size 50 bike shoe. Where can i find size 50 shoes?

I am just getting into biking after a running knee injury. My doctor told me to ride for strength training and cross-training. I have a 2004 Trek Fuel 90 that I bought used in 2005 and never really did anything with. They suggested a pair of Shimano M122

If anyone has a shoe suggestion for me I would appreciate it. Are the Shimano M122 shoes any good?

Bob

Jul 2007
    Bob

I wear a size 14 street shoe and the only mountain shoe that I have found that fits is the Sidi Dominator - size 49 for my foot. They are very comfortable shoes but also on the expensive size. Before the Sidi I tried a pair of size 14 Cannondales but they were only 14's in label - really about size 13. Not many other manufacturers make anything over 48 and if they do, finding a distributor that stocks them can be tough.

Let me know if you do find something other than the Sidi in large sizes, I would like a second pair of shoes.

RH

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    A locla bike shop in Los Altos, CA ordered a pair of Shimano M122 in size 50 for me. I don't know how they will fit but I can post after I try them on once they come in if you like.

mtbr member
    I'm size 50, sidi dominators have been the best cycling shoe I've ever had, they even go up to size 52. I have also had lake mx101's in the past, not sure if they still make them up to 50..

edit: and when my wife gives me grief over my $200+ sidi's, I always have the excuse that they are the only ones that come in my size!
    Last edited by markymark; 04-29-2008 at 10:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Go with the Sidi. Your feet will thank you. The shimano shoes are not very wide.
    Buy once cry once.

Mar 2007
    i think pearl has some large sizes as well.

stitches from ditches
    Sep 2006

Pure Relief

Bob95065,
    You just did a big favor for me. I don't know why but I never thought to ask the question of where to get shoes at (I wear a size 16) on this site. I just ordered an Iron horse Warrior 6.0 and could not seem to find shoes anywhere. I thought that I was going to have to buy new pedals or maybe a new crank set.
    So thanks for posting and thanks for the reply posts. You guys are true life savers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by domni51
    Bob95065,
    You just did a big favor for me. I don't know why but I never thought to ask the question of where to get shoes at (I wear a size 16) on this site. I just ordered an Iron horse Warrior 6.0 and could not seem to find shoes anywhere. I thought that I was going to have to buy new pedals or maybe a new crank set.
    So thanks for posting and thanks for the reply posts. You guys are true life savers.
    Where did you order your shoes from?

mtbr member
    My brother has even bigger feet and has had to go with platforms and street shoes - so that is one option as well.

Stray Bullet
    Sorry sold them
    Last edited by Nagaredama; 05-28-2008 at 09:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I sent you a PM. Send me a message if you didn't get it.

Bob

May 2008
    Ha, I went on a crusade to find my size (Size 50), and I found that the Shimano SH-M075 *supposedly* goes up to size 50. I really liked the Sidi (which my local shop carried, but not in my size), but that's just too many bucks. These were $80 + shipping, so I'll let you know how they fit.

Aug 2007
    I don't own them myself, but I've heard great things about Lake shoes. Most, if not all styles go to size 50. You can buy them directly from their website at www.lakecycling.com

I wear 15/16 as well and will probably go this route whenever I decide to get some shoes. Good luck!

Chris

Sep 2006
    my feet are also wide, 4E and only sidi has the shoe wide enough for me as well as big enough. i'm an 11 4E and I wear 45 or 46 mega sidi's and they're fine. expensive but can be found online for less than msrp--not by much though.

Apr 2008
    I had a piar of Diadora cycling shoes in a size 50 in a wide. I also wear a 15 EE width and they were very comfortable. I havent checked wheelworld for shoes lately but they used to have good deals on last years Sidi's which also come in a 50 wide depending on model. Sidi's are nice shoes but like someone above stated are spendy. Check out www.Diadora.com and it will give you a store locator. Hope that helps you in your search.

Mike

Members who have read this thread: 0