New pedals, or pedals and shoes?- Mtbr.com
    nOOb
    May 2008

New pedals, or pedals and shoes?

I have a bit of a quandry. I purchased a new bike, now I am switching pedals between bikes when I want to ride one or the other. The original bike has Time ATAC's on it. I'd like to buy another set for the new bike, keep the same shoes and make it all easy. Time pedals are expensive though, I could buy new shoes and a cheap set of new pedals for the old bike for almost the same price. To make me even more miserable, I just gave away my old Shimano 747's not too long ago that were still going strong, and now I can't even buy used anywhere. Gawd I loved those pedals, what was I thinking?!
    What to do? I even considered some Nashbar pedal/shoe combos, but only for a second...

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    why don't you just buy another set of nice pedals and then just switch out the cleats on the shoes you have now to fit your new pedals?
    Mamma speed I'm back!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Shimano M520 pedals. They're bombproof and can be had pretty cheap so you could get a pair for both bikes.

nOOb
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by freaknunu
    why don't you just buy another set of nice pedals and then just switch out the cleats on the shoes you have now to fit your new pedals?
    Then I will have two bikes with different pedals and cleats, and I'd have to change cleats on my shoes depending on which bike I take that day. Right now I only have one pair of shoes, and I want to ride both bikes depending on my mood or whatever.

mtbr member
    I would just keep looking for a new set of Time pedals on sale. They are expensive, although not over the top compared to other brands, but they last a really long time, and are my personal fav. I still have a pair of 12 yr old Times on my old ht, that are still going strong. Pretty beat up looking, but still function great. As far as getting a cheap pair of pedals and shoes... you get what you pay for most of the time.

I put a pair of Time composite pedals on my new fancy road bike, so I wouldn't have to buy another pair of shoes, or switch cleats all the time. The salesman was like - you do know these are mtb pedals, right?

Members who have read this thread: 0