New to MTBR. Need advice on shoes and pedals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

New to MTBR. Need advice on shoes and pedals

Hi everyone. I am new to this community. Just signed up a few minutes ago. I am new to mountain biking. I just started doing some recreational riding on the weekends. I bought a FELT Q920 a couple months ago. It's completely stock. I am now looking to upgrade the pedals and get some riding shoes. I know there are many different kinds out there. Can someone recommend something to me. I was told I should start with clipless pedals. Is this true?

banned
    Sep 2005
    If you're comfortable on the bike, you can jump to clipless any time you wish. Shimano pedals seem to be liked for beginners due to the adjustable tension. Personally I can't stand them and use Crankbros pedals.

I'd suggest some cheaper shoes and pedals to try clipless first. No sense in running out and dropping $300 on shoes and pedals if you're not sure you'd like it. That being said, a good thing would be to see if you can try out several kinds of pedals and figure out what you like.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Lake Shoes. Shimano Clipless or a clone such as Ritchey or Wellgo. Get em cheap from Nashbar or Performance and then get something nicer after you have the slight learning curve down.

College Boy
    Put in another vote for Shimano pedals. I personally am a huge fan of the m520s by them. A good strong pedals and it only 50 bucks which is on the cheaper side and they m520s are great if you like clipless you can use those pedals for a very long time and you dont they are not fairly cheap and chance are once you get over the learning curve you will never want to go back.

Shoes you can get good pair for a fairly cheap price. Performance is where I got min and just go though their shoes looking at the ones on sale and find a pair you like and in your size.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    No sense in running out and dropping $300 on shoes and pedals if you're not sure you'd like it.

This is the MOST important advice you can get on your question. Try out both platforms and clipless BEFORE you buy. You need to figure out what you like, and then drop the cash.