New legs and shoes

Printable View

• 02-04-2007
    415m3
    1 Attachment(s)
    New legs and shoes
    A little component review for ya. I recently had a mild case of UGI and decided to get a new fork and tires for the El Salt. Away went the crappy semi-bald XC Pros. Away went the 1st gen Fox Vanilla 30.

After much deliberation, I picked up some Kenda Nevegal 2.1s and a RS Revelation Coil, and we went for a nice 2 hour ride up Space Mountain and the surrounding trails. For those of you not in SoCal... it was 84deg. :)

The Revelation is a sweet fork. Period. Good riddance to the old Fox! This thing tracks better (32mm), has a buttery stroke, and the travel adjustment is a great feature. The El Salt has 4" in the back, so the front end wandered a bit if I climbed with it over 110mm, and 105-107 seemed a happy place for the ups-n-downs. Once the kinda rocky descent started, I wound it up to 115mm and was railing like the Fox only dreamed of. If you're looking for a new fork, I highly recommend it.

The Nevs were also a pleasant surprise. They felt a little heavy and slow on the hardpack flats, but hooked up VERY nicely on the climbs and held onto the loose corners coming down so well that I can live with the extra weight. If you're not a weight weenie, get 'em.

Nuff said. Lets go watch some football.

Crappy phone-cam pic:
  • 02-04-2007
    FoShizzle
    nice changes.

Space Mountain? Sure looks familiar.......when i used to ride :rolleyes: some time ago....i think i rode something like that...or perhaps that exact trail, just dont know it by that name
  • 02-05-2007
    415m3
    I don't know if that's the official name, but that's what the rider who showed it to me called it. It's the switchbacks up to the picnic table from Moorpark road.
  • 02-05-2007
    FoShizzle
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 415m3
    I don't know if that's the official name, but that's what the rider who showed it to me called it. It's the switchbacks up to the picnic table from Moorpark road.

that is what i thought...yeah, thats it.

when i am available to ride on weekends in a few months we should definitely hook up. email me at [email protected]

here is a picture from that same loop along the ridge after climbing the singletrack. i am in search of another "office bike" so hopefully i can just keep a bike at work 24/7 and get back out to ride once in a while as i used to do it from my office door and back couple times a week. cheers
  • 02-05-2007
    415m3
    Sounds good. I usually ride solo and consequently get stuck in a rut - going to whatever spot is closest to the house. I definitely need to find some new trails. I think we talked about a ride last year too, but I'd just been hit by a truck and it took a bit longer to come back to the bike than I thought it would.

Hopefully you don't mind riding with a not-very-fast clyde. My email on the profile page is active.