New helmet time - full face or...?- Mtbr.com
    Plasko

New helmet time - full face or...?

After a nasty wreck yesterday which left me with a cracked helmet & concussion, I will be needing a new helmet. My standard-issue mtb helmet worked wonderfully for this particular wreck, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a full-face, since I need to get a new helmet anyway.

My biggest concern with full-face is heat buildup in the summer. I ride a motorcycle & wear a full-face for that, even in the summer, but you get much better cooling on a motorcycle due to speed. Are there any full-facers that breath good enough for our nasty summer temps, or should I even bother? If I've made any grammatical or social errors in this post, please forgive me - its the Vikidin talking

CAB
    mtbr member
    check out the specialized deviant 2.. I think i may pick one up for hot shuttle days.

Pivotal figure
    Pretty much any fullface is gonna be hot in the summer so I wouldn't worry too much about that part. I just wear the FF for shuttle days and use my regular lid for everything else.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Two wheels are better
    I love being uber safe, so I tried to use my FF for everything, but it didn't cut it. It is so hot when you aren't moving quickly, even when it isn't that hot out. The last time I tried it was climbing National. I figured I would take just my FF and pedal it up (as opposed to switching helmets at the saddle like I normally do), that lasted 5 minutes before the FF was strapped to my Camelbak. I put up with a lot for extra safety (will carry up compression suit, knee pads and FF on my Camelbak to make sure my decent is safe), but I haven't been able to put up with the heat of the FF.
    "There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one"

aka Swamp ThAAng
    If I've made any grammatical or social errors in this post, please forgive me - its the Vikidin talking

Vikidin - Vicodin
    Bulls**t is the glue that binds our nation - George Carlin

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by shockrwave
    If I've made any grammatical or social errors in this post, please forgive me - its the Vikidin talking

Vikidin - Vicodin
    wow - that was way out in left field. Why are you on Vicodin? Injury??? do tell!

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    wow - that was way out in left field. Why are you on Vicodin? Injury??? do tell!
    That vicodin line was a quote from the OP

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    That vicodin line was a quote from the OP
    Thanks Mikey... Guess I should try reading the whole tread before posting.

Cactus Monkey
    Depending on if you are looking for a more AM/XC than a DH/FR helmet, I would suggest a MET Parachute, and have owned one for over a year...after a spill that took out 4 teeth. Most of my crew have been convinced after their own OTB experience. The Parachute isn't any hotter then your average lid, and people will tell you that their top tier products are cooler...and guess I can't disagree with that.

MET Website - Parachute

MTBR Review

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnout999
    Depending on if you are looking for a more AM/XC than a DH/FR helmet, I would suggest a MET Parachute, and have owned one for over a year...after a spill that took out 4 teeth. Most of my crew have been convinced after their own OTB experience. The Parachute isn't any hotter then your average lid, and people will tell you that their top tier products are cooler...and guess I can't disagree with that.

MET Website - Parachute

MTBR Review
    I have the MET Parachute as well. Its a pretty slick helmet. I recommend it!

Plasko
    Quote Originally Posted by shockrwave

Vikidin - Vicodin
    Thanks for clarifying that, I was a bit in the clouds when I typed the original post

Thanks for the input, folks. I also just realized that this topic was covered less than a week ago in another topic. Drugs apparently don't help your intarweb search skills, either

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnout999

MET Website - Parachute

MTBR Review
    All I can say is... if you think you need a full face... get a real one. Not really sure what the MET will do besides add extra things to jab in your skin when smashing on a rock...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo
    All I can say is... if you think you need a full face... get a real one. Not really sure what the MET will do besides add extra things to jab in your skin when smashing on a rock...
    The MET is a lot stronger than it looks. Its really meant to provide a little bit of extra protection on long trail rides. Its definitely NOT a substitute for the real deal.

That being said, I typically don't use the mouth guard. It unbolts very easily, takes less than a minute and the helmet itself is pretty nice.

I use a TLD SE moto helmet for the gnarly stuff.

mtbr member
    Between Dre and I we've tried the following helmets:

various open face (favorite: fox flux)

Chin bar helmets (I wouldn't call them full face):
    Met Parachute
    Casco Viper

Light Full Face:
    Specialized Deviant

The Deviant offers great protection but it recirculates a lot of hot breath. Tough to climb with on warm days, and on nice cool days you still notice the re-circulation. Its a really good helmet for National or Mili during the winter. It's not a full downhill helmet; it probably weighs about 1/2-2/3 of what a downhill helmet weighs.

The Met Parachute is a XC helmet with some bonus protection - I do not pretend that it will offer significant protection in a nasty crash but it should help for the 90% of crashes that you do in Sedona or Hawes or most of the places we ride. I wear it on National too, but I have to keep reminding myself that I'm wearing a XC helmet. The Met is the only chin bar helmet that I've found that you can climb with- it breathes really well.

The Casco Viper is a really really nice helmet with awesome comfort and a great adjustment system BUT:
    (1) the chin guard attachment is weak and will break over time (but easily fixed and reinforced with epoxy and welding rod)
    (2) it doesn't breathe well with the chin guard on- I would ride without the chin guard when climbing national, then snap it on at the top
    (3) Chain Reaction no longer carries it. You have to buy it thru Ebay Germany.

Results:
    Dre has repeatedly "tested" the Deviant. I watched her endo right onto her head on Miligrosa and she was unscathed. If she was wearing an open face helmet she would have been f*cked up bad (again). It gets an A+ for protection.

I have only tested the Casco once. It was a pretty big crash with lots of tumbling down a hill. It was big enough to break my collarbone. There was a ton of dirt packed into the helmet but my face was untouched.

We haven't tested the Met Parachute yet with a direct hit, but Dre crashes a lot and so far so good.

We don't wear open faced helmets anymore for any type of riding....
    -MitchB

mtbr member
    I just picked up a Six Six One Evolution from Cactus this afternoon. I got it mainly for National (and other SoMo Gnar... Once i get my skills up to par). My plan is to strap it to hydration pack on the climb up Mormon/National, then swap it for my XC lid on the way back down. That way I can get the best of both worlds.

Props to Cactus... They have a pretty good selection of gear and the guys seem pretty cool... I think I might have found my local shop.

Members who have read this thread: 0