New Helmet Time- Mtbr.com

Thread: New Helmet Time

Ride'n Dirty

New Helmet Time

My current helmet is like 6 years old now, maybe older. I have landed on it softly a few times when I have gone over the handlebars. Anyway, thinking of buying a new one, looking at replacing it with a $50.00-$70.00 model not sure if I want to go with what I have now which is a traditional type helmet, its made by Trek but looks like one of those Bells, Giro's...roady type helmet or if I want to go with skull cap looking thing: http://www.rei.com/product/769909

What offers the most protection in a fall? I mainly ride trails, no heavy off road use, some street use and I am on a Gary Fisher hard tail.

Thanks.
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I just wear a traditional bike helmet. Giro helmets fit my head well, so I wear them skiing as well. All the helmets are rated to the same standard and will give ample protection. Just go with what fits the best and is the most comfortable. You want the helmet to stay put in a crash. If the helmet can slip from side to side or rock up and down, it doesn't fit right. Adjust the straps in the back or try a different model. Some helmets are one size fits all, others are sized. Different brands fit different shapes of heads.

spec4life???..smh...
    Yeah I wear a traditional giro helmet with a visor as well. I use to wear one of the skateboard type helmets but it was much heavier and hotter. The giro is very breathable but never tested out its protection capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    I just wear a traditional bike helmet. Giro helmets fit my head well, so I wear them skiing as well.
    Never wore a helmet skiing. Whats the point snows soft

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spec4life
    I used to have the same attitude. A few years ago I hit a tabletop too hard, missing the transition to land. I landed on flat ice, from about 20 feet up. My skis bounced anrd I ended up falling hitting the back of my head on the ice. When I came to and told a patroller, I'd be fine, I wrote it off as a "simple" concussion. After all I was an EMT, everything moved and I was breathing, so everything was okay. I made the 2 hour drive home safely, only to spend the next week vomiting and feeling vertigo. I worked as a bartender, and couldn't remember people's orders long enough to make the drinks. 3 years later, and I still have a knot on the back of my head and I've had some permanent loss of fine motor control.

It was only after talking with our regional Trauma Center's medical director about traumatic brain injury in my paramedic classes that I realized how lucky I am. It sucks when I'm starting an IV and my patient asks if I'm scared cause my hand trembles. (It's not so bad that I miss the veins, and keep in mind we work in moving trucks which is way worse.)

Needless to say, I wear a helmet all the time now while biking, skiing, dirt bikes, ect... It's just not worth it. I know helmets don't solve everything... this past year I crashed hard in training GS race and tore a rotator cuff. Lesson learned - tuck and roll when you fall.

spec4life???..smh...
    yeah i usualy just keep it to the jumps and steeps for my challenge rather than the tables and rails(although i have hit them from time to time). If I stayed in the park a little more id look into a helmet. SOrry to get off topic

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spec4life
    yeah but packed snow, rails, and tree branches aren't... witnessed a friend's concussion last season, scary stuff...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I wear a Bell Influx. Its Very comfortable and light!

http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/produ...l.asp?prodID=5
    adam michigan karate monkey

Never worng!
    Here's a good read on bicycle helmets from the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute.

Buy one that fits and wear it all the time.

local trails rider
    Try before you buy.

Get one that feels comfortable and stays put on your head.

mtbr member
    Also look into the Giro Havoc I think I paid around 70.00. It's light, has good airflow and is comfortable as well.
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The Havoc is a nice helmet, and I've crash tested it........
    Let's just say Margaritas+Clipless+Wheelie+Pavement=Helmet test

That's when you get up and say....that was $60 well spent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Catlike -Shield 2

Members who have read this thread: 0