New helmet mount build- Mtbr.com
    Rolling on 650b

New helmet mount build

I just finished building up my second light. Back at the end of last year I built a 4xpg bar mount light. After riding with it for a while, I decided I needed a helmet mount for those really tight switchbacks and for a little more throw than the Carclo 10417's give. I don't have beamshots yet, but I rode with it last night and it works great! I don't have metal working tools, so ease of build was a priority. I started with some cheap 9-led flashlight and pushed the guts out. I cut a circular shaped piece of aluminum out with a dremel tool, then mounted it to a mandrel and put it in my drill press. I held a file against it as the drill press spun it until it was round and the right size to press fit into the light body.
    New helmet mount build-img_2922.jpg
    As you can see, a buckpuck fits snugly inside. Taking a little sandpaper to the corners of the buckpuck helped.
    New helmet mount build-img_2923.jpg
    I drilled a hole toward the back of the housing for wires to pass from one side to the other.
    Then I made another one the same way, then glued them together with a fin in the middle as part of the mount.
    New helmet mount build-img_3069.jpg
    New helmet mount build-img_3070.jpg
    Here you can see the XPG-R5's glued to the aluminum slugs
    New helmet mount build-img_3074.jpg
    I have them wired in series, with a switch wired to the buckpuck's dimmer control. This gives me off/high/and medium. I've got 1.66k ohms resistance on one of the switch's terminals for medium.
    New helmet mount build-img_3076.jpg
    New helmet mount build-img_3077.jpg
    And here's the finished light!
    New helmet mount build-img_3079.jpg
    New helmet mount build-img_3080.jpg
    New helmet mount build-img_3092.jpg
    It weighs in at 3oz. I have it Carclo 10003 20mm optics in it and its powered by four 18650's wired in series. I made a helmet mount with adjustable tilt out of 1/8inch ABS, and that's secured to the helmet with velcro, and a little double sided foam tape at the front and rear to eliminate rocking. All in all it was a pretty quick and easy build, and the light works great.

All in all it

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Very nice and simple.
    Gotta love it. I finish all my lights with the 5 minute JB Weld now. Pile some in, hit it with the heat gun, let it self level. Looks really pro.

A waste of time it is is
    Nice work Clipless. You might want to consider switching out one of those lenses for a regina, you should have plenty of depth in the housing without the puck to fit one in and it'll give you great throw

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Looks good. I don't have access to a metal fab shop either. Been thinking cheap flashlights for hosts might be the way to go. From a quick google, it looks like the 10003 is billed as a luxeon optic. Why did you decide on that one? Forgive if it's a stupid question - I'm a light noob.

Bring on the beamshots.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It's nice to see that there is a wide range of DIY capabilities. Some forum members have access to sophisticated CNC machines and CAD software and others have basic hand tools and a drill. It's fun to see the results of both types of DIY. Either way, everyone here is lighting up the night and having fun.

mtbr member
    nice job clipless, that looks really rather neat

whereabouts in PA are you? I'm in State College, bang in the middle..

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    How did you get the optics to stay in the holders? I didn't see anything mentioned about the process of installing the optics. Can you give us some details on what you had to do? Why did you choose Luxeon optics for your XPG? Either way, it seems that you are very happy with the end result.

Rolling on 650b
    Actually, in these light bodies there is a lip 15mm or so in from the front. This actually helps seat the slug straight and provides for a little more contact area for heat dissipation. I chose those optics for a couple reasons; previous beamshots from other members, I personally prefer the output of optics as apposed to reflectors, and, in an effort to control costs, I wanted to source items from as few places as possible to avoid shipping charges. I got the led's, optics, and optic holders from Ledsupply.com, the batteries from deal extreme (free shipping) and the other bits from the local hardware store and Rasioshack. Ledsupply only offers one line of 20mm optics for those emitters, so it was simply a matter of choosing which beam. I chose the tightest one, but I think I could have gone with one tight and one a little floodier. It all depends what you ride, I think. I mostly ride tight singletrack in the dark, so seeing aroung corners is more important to me than seeing far away.
    mattthemuppet- I'm near Hazleton, so about 2 hours from you. Occasionaly get out to Bald Eagle state forest (Cowbell hollow rocks!) and hit Raystown and Whipple Dam area earlier this year.
    Thinkbike- there are optic holders for those lenses. I epoxied the holders to the L.E.D.s and then the optics snap right in. After they were in I just sealed the tiny gap between them and the tube with silicone.

I read the last part of my post again- sorry for the grammar. I wasn't drunk, just tired.

Thanks for all the comments.

Rolling on 650b

Beamshots

Got out tonight to take beamshots.
    First is my bar mount 4xpg light.
    Second is the new helmet light.
    Last is both lights on.
    F4 at 6.5 seconds
    New helmet mount build-4xpg-bar.jpg
    New helmet mount build-helmet.jpg
    New helmet mount build-bar-helmet.jpg

recognize the slowness
    What if you don't mind my asking did the setups cost approx?

I have a need to go cheap and you can pick up those 'housings' for a buck and a half @ the depot right now, or with coupon you can get one for free from the freight...

I have one battery for a stalled bar mount light but I don't mind starting another different setup.

JB
    "mountain biking and flyfishing, what more do you want?" - Yeah, I said it

Rolling on 650b
    I had JB weld, wire, some 1/8in. thick aluminum and arctic silver left from my first light build. So the only items I needed were the following:
    2 flashlight bodies - 6$
    Switch and resistors and power connector from Radioshack about $7

Batteries (currently mounted in a piece of pvc I had on hand) and 1 charger $28
    2 led's, optics, holders, and wired buckpuck - about $42 with shipping

So about $83 for the helmet light. Figure another $40 to $50 if you need to buy the glues, wire, and aluminum, but you'll have enough left over to go a long way.

Hope that helps. Starting from scratch its probably a little more expensive than a magicshine, but probably more reliable, you can customize the optics to suit your riding, and get the satisfaction of building it yourself. It doesn't hurt that the first couple times you ride with your friends and turn your lights on they think an airplane's coming in to land behind them!

mtbr member
    Nice light, and good pics, it should be reliable too. I have been running buckpucks with no issues so far - being potted helps with reliability I think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipless in PA
    mattthemuppet- I'm near Hazleton, so about 2 hours from you. Occasionaly get out to Bald Eagle state forest (Cowbell hollow rocks!) and hit Raystown and Whipple Dam area earlier this year
    neat! If you head out to Bald Eagle again, give me a shout if you fancy having another rider along, never ridden there.

Members who have read this thread: 0