New helmet fit help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New helmet fit help

I had a small crash yesterday where I hit my head. Riding up a very steep hill and hit a root I couldn't get over and basically tipped over. Didn't land directly on my head, but the side of my head did hit the ground. From what I've heard, anytime you hit your head it's time to replace. There's no noticeable damage, but better safe than sorry.

My question is, I'm basically right between small and medium sizes on the size charts. Circumference of my head is right about 55.5cm. My current helmet is a size small Giro Athlon and I didn't know much about sizing when I purchased. It seems to fit well on my head, and I don't need to use the retention system at all - I keep it on its loosest setting. I could probably tighten it one or two clicks if I wanted things really snug. So is that considered a great fit when you don't need to use the rentention system at all, or would sizing up to a medium be better?

RAKC
    It doesn't matter much either way. It's what fits good and stays secure. Whether you have the retention full open or half closed. If you like the fit, it fits properly and stays put, that's the size you need.

Different helmet companies fit differently however. Some are made for people with more round heads, others more elliptical shaped. So one manufacturer your a small, another one you need to go up a size.

And you are literally the ONLY PERSON that can say what size helmet from what brand is the right fit. That's why I hit multiple lbs, found the brand the fit best and stick to only helmets from that company (Bell) because they fit the best.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The helmet should fit well before you snug it up. I like the retention to stop it from moving around at all. If it is comfortable and doesn't move around that sounds like a good fit. I always buy helmets locally and try on as many as I can.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    It doesn't matter much either way. It's what fits good and stays secure. Whether you have the retention full open or half closed. If you like the fit, it fits properly and stays put, that's the size you need.

Different helmet companies fit differently however. Some are made for people with more round heads, others more elliptical shaped. So one manufacturer your a small, another one you need to go up a size.

And you are literally the ONLY PERSON that can say what size helmet from what brand is the right fit. That's why I hit multiple lbs, found the brand the fit best and stick to only helmets from that company (Bell) because they fit the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    The helmet should fit well before you snug it up. I like the retention to stop it from moving around at all. If it is comfortable and doesn't move around that sounds like a good fit. I always buy helmets locally and try on as many as I can.
    Thanks for the input. I know the Giro small fits well but it won't hurt to try on some other brands.

Sad to let go of the Giro Athlon, I liked it and it's not made anymore. Are there any circumstances where you would continue to use a helmet after a hit with no visible damage?

RAKC
    Well be that I would have needed to replace my current helmet a month after I bought it. Got all kinds of little dings in the out shell. Had a good crash a little while back that has put a new helmet on the to do list finally. But still riding my current one.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialJ View Post
    I had a small crash yesterday where I hit my head. Didn't land directly on my head, but the side of my head did hit the ground. From what I've heard, anytime you hit your head it's time to replace. There's no noticeable damage, but better safe than sorry.
    If I went by that guideline, I would be replacing a helmet about every month or so. If it causes helmet deformity or gets cracked, then I replace.

I can't go with replacement every time it contacts the ground.
    Last edited by Cleared2land; 09-19-2016 at 07:24 PM.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    If I went by that guideline, I would be replacing a helmet about ever month or so. If it causes helmet deformity or gets cracked, then I replace.

I can't go with replacement every time it contacts the ground.
    It does seem excessive if there is no visible damage, but all of the threads I have read on the subject seem to indicate there could be damage to foam you can't see, helmets are one time use, etc. Makes it difficult to decide what to do.

Magically Delicious
    It's not a difficult decision for me. I can't imaging anyone that I know spending that kind of money every time your helmet touched the ground. Especially if you see no damage. If you can't see any damage, did it really happen?

Magically Delicious

I'll replace this one.

This was a grand slam that broke more things than this helmet.

New helmet fit help-20160719_165549.jpg

RAKC
    Most of the info of "replace it if you so much as drop it" is total bs. Unless it's dented, cracked or deformed it's perfectly fine. Just a bunch of fear mongering going on in those threads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Some helmet shells can pop back out hiding compressed foam underneath, but that said, its been my experience that you usually know when you've taken a hit hard enough to replace helmet, and yes most of the time there is some kind of damage you can see. Just dropp ing helmet on ground wont do it, there needs to be something inside of the helmet.
    Anyway, I wish helmet manufacturers would state head shape designed for, like Arai, but I guess theres no standard. Your reduced to trying on as many different helmets as you can.
    Its best to have a snug helmet rather than a loose one that you get to fit by using thicker pads and tighter straps and retention, safety wise.