New helmet-cam- Mtbr.com

Thread: New helmet-cam

GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP

New helmet-cam

This is a really cool Camera for short videos and those whom hate cables as much as i do.
    Ok, so here goes the details of it.
    Internal Memory: 32MB

Sensor Resolution: 640x480 VGA-CMOS
    Video Capture:
    640x480(default),320x240, 160x120
    Photo Capture:
    640x480(default)320x240,
    JPG format
    Expandable Memory via SD card flash memory, up to 1GB
    about 1 hour video using low res and about 1/2 hour on high ( using 1GB card )
    Power by 4 AAA batteries
    Cable for video playback on TV and PC
    Price is about: $120,00

This Camera is a lot a Fun for what it is, i have being using it around the house and the quality is preatty good, for that price, can't go wrong with it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

29 inches and Pissed Off!
    Compusa has them for $85.00.

Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Cool. It would be fun to playaround with.

Dave

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Got any videos yet?

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Although in a totally different price bracket, it looks like Samsung have a series of similar camcorders with internal memory:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/c...iket/index.asp

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/inde...pt;1;pg;1;pa;7

Most feature around 1 gigabyte of storage, with slots for extra storage if needed. Most have around 800K Pixel CCDs.

pvflyer Im looking forward to some footage!!

Dave.

Aug 2005
    It looks great!!!But tell me if the capture is in 15 fps or 25 fps.Im from Spain and I want to buy one,where can I buy it?Thaks

MTB Rider

A toy ...

Poor video quality never results in good videos. That camera is a toy and so is the Samsung.

There are some hard drive based video recording systems out there that provide VCR quality in a reduced form factor. If you're interested in reducing bulk or getting longer record times, I suggest looking into one of those.

GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    willtsmith-nwi, first of all, nice avatar. yeah, i wouldn't call a toy, it does have a pretty good technology, you can shoot still and video, and since you have a memory card versus hard drive if you crash you can save all yours images!! the quality is not like 5 MEGAPIXEL, but you can see really clearly, and if you brake you out $100.00 , instead $1000.00 or more to get a high quality camera. this is a great CAMERA for what it is, is that simple!!!!
    If, you like to share videos and image on the net, get this camera. i'm sure in the future genaration , it will just get better!!! by the way, with 1GB card you can get over an hour of video,NO CABLES, DID I MENTION THAT, this camera 5 years ago, would be it.

I'll post some image from it, hopefully this weekend if does not rain here again this weekend, and if i can fix my bike too! C'YA ,crack heads...

conjoinicorned
    hey pvflyer

you forgot to mention the name of the manufacturer, so i can actually find one.

alright, scratch that, i read the package in the picture. is there anything else required, or is it out-of-the-box usable?
    Last edited by ferday; 03-15-2006 at 12:55 PM.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    hey pvflyer

you forgot to mention the name of the manufacturer, so i can actually find one.

alright, scratch that, i read the package in the picture. is there anything else required, or is it out-of-the-box usable?
    right out of the box, it's usable but the in-built memory 32mb is not enough, you need to get a 1GB SD card,that's it!

MTB Rider

what is your video for???

Quote Originally Posted by pvflyer
    willtsmith-nwi, first of all, nice avatar. yeah, i wouldn't call a toy, it does have a pretty good technology, you can shoot still and video, and since you have a memory card versus hard drive if you crash you can save all yours images!! the quality is not like 5 MEGAPIXEL, but you can see really clearly, and if you brake you out $100.00 , instead $1000.00 or more to get a high quality camera. this is a great CAMERA for what it is, is that simple!!!!
    If, you like to share videos and image on the net, get this camera. i'm sure in the future genaration , it will just get better!!! by the way, with 1GB card you can get over an hour of video,NO CABLES, DID I MENTION THAT, this camera 5 years ago, would be it.

I'll post some image from it, hopefully this weekend if does not rain here again this weekend, and if i can fix my bike too! C'YA ,crack heads...
    If your video is for your own personal amusement, than that is great. And it makes it a toy.

If you want to do some type of production (even if it's just for friends) you really need VCR quality. That doesn't mean 5 megapixel, it means half a megapixel. But thats video, not a still image and that adds up to mondo storage space.

A MiniDV tape has 14 Gigs of storage space. Now if you recorded in MPEG-4 instead of DV (and MPEG-4 at DVD quality is quite acceptable) you're talking about 4 gigs. But for cycling, you're probably talking about 6 gigs because MTB video simply does not compress well. I did a MTB video and my Panasonic DVD recorder could not keep up on MPEG-2 whenever the cameraman is riding in the woods. It came out as a bunch of squiggly lines (expect the sky). All those objects coming at the camer AND changing angle at the same time really cranks up the bitrate.

I think it's great that you've found a tool you like. I'm just warning everyone that they are going to get poor video quality out of something like that. If you want to actually present your work to others, you'll be better off with a cheap camcorder teamed with a cheap helmet cam and a $10 backpack. It won't cost $1000. It should cost $400-$500.

You are right though if you just want to share your recording with your buddies on the internet, than this is probably ideal. You have to reduce the resolution of video in order to effectively put it on the web.

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    If your video is for your own personal amusement, than that is great. And it makes it a toy.

If you want to do some type of production (even if it's just for friends) you really need VCR quality. That doesn't mean 5 megapixel, it means half a megapixel. But thats video, not a still image and that adds up to mondo storage space.

A MiniDV tape has 14 Gigs of storage space. Now if you recorded in MPEG-4 instead of DV (and MPEG-4 at DVD quality is quite acceptable) you're talking about 4 gigs. But for cycling, you're probably talking about 6 gigs because MTB video simply does not compress well. I did a MTB video and my Panasonic DVD recorder could not keep up on MPEG-2 whenever the cameraman is riding in the woods. It came out as a bunch of squiggly lines (expect the sky). All those objects coming at the camer AND changing angle at the same time really cranks up the bitrate.

I think it's great that you've found a tool you like. I'm just warning everyone that they are going to get poor video quality out of something like that. If you want to actually present your work to others, you'll be better off with a cheap camcorder teamed with a cheap helmet cam and a $10 backpack. It won't cost $1000. It should cost $400-$500.

You are right though if you just want to share your recording with your buddies on the internet, than this is probably ideal. You have to reduce the resolution of video in order to effectively put it on the web.

Dude, PV flyer said that this camera is great for what it does. He never said you can make an oscar winning movie out of the thing. Personally I think it's great for us non-professional cinematographers. You can't expect too much from a $100 camera/camcorder. If I crash and wreck the camera - I'm only out a $100 bucks. If I use a viosport with a camcorder and I crash hard then I'm out $500+ bucks. If it's a toy so be it. - PV flyer I'd love to see some of the videos you've taken.

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi

Dude, PV flyer said that this camera is great for what it does. He never said you can make an oscar winning movie out of the thing. Personally I think it's great for us non-professional cinematographers. You can't expect too much from a $100 camera/camcorder. If I crash and wreck the camera - I'm only out a $100 bucks. If I use a viosport with a camcorder and I crash hard then I'm out $500+ bucks. If it's a toy so be it. - PV flyer I'd love to see some of the videos you've taken.

Village Dirtbag
    Ah man- I was all excited until I found out it only records 15 fps. I realize it is very cheap, but a camera whose sole purpose is to record action needs a faster frame rate. When they come out with a faster one I'll be 1st in line.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I saw a similar cam with the Tony Hawk name on it somewhere. Has anybody tried one of those?

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    you know with all these people talking about the helmet cam, I sure as hell wished one of them would atleast post up a vid to demonstrate the quality and help out a fellow MTB'er.

;-)

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I have a bid in on one... if I get it I will post a vid soon

conjoinicorned
    http://www.atc-1000.com/

actual footage from the camera. apparently it requires good lighting.

i don't think it's too bad for $100!!!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

right behind ya

vid skool

Hey I got both the atc and the Samsung.

1) The atc is a toy but on occasion fun and very easy to use. Absolutely the vid Q is not great but I keep in my camel back and when we end up hitting new trail and find a cool run, through it on a down we go! I have no real editing expertise and have only been able to edit with included software (vid is .avi format). The software SUCKS. Some stupid graphics and [email protected] music you can add but nothing anyone above the age of 10 would want to use. Overall I belive worth the $100 to play around with

2) The Samsung has much better quality and recorder and lens are separate components. I have been running on handlebars but may swap to helmet cam as think would be alot safer rather than the wires I have hanging Also the buttons on the Samsung and the menu format is a bit of a challenge on the run, but workable. I tried using while snowboarding and was a b!tch with cold weather gloves. Editing software works fine

If anyone can tell me how to upload vid to this site, I'll do so for example of ATC Q (and [email protected] graphics)
    hard line, hard line, hard line after hard line

Lord of the Chainrings
    Ordered the new Oregon Scientific ATC-2000 for $100 on-line!
    30 frames per second.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    30 frames per second.

specs look great for the price. PLEASE do report back with a sample vid, if it performs in lower light conditions, etc!

29 inches and Pissed Off!
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpmonger23
    specs look great for the price. PLEASE do report back with a sample vid, if it performs in lower light conditions, etc!
    My wife got me one of the old ones. Lousy in low light.
    Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    30 frames per second.
    Please post some vids...
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    Please post some vids...
    Will do! Hoping to have it in my grubby little hands around the 4th of November. Already bought a 2GB SD card for it.

They have a few vids of the older model (atc-1000) on this link: http://www.atc-1000.com/poison.asp?p=dirt
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I just got the ATC 2000 today. I have not ridden it out on the trail but from the little messing around out front its pretty neat. Granted you get what you pay for, so don't expect HD quality. The low light performance is not very good. I took video at 3 different time intervals at dusk and the video became increasingly grainy. I think it will have trouble with shadows, e.g. quick light changes. Rides out on open trials should be good. It offers many mounting options to vary the viewing perspective. All and all a pretty cool gadget for ~ $100. I'm planning on going out on the trail on Sunday, so I should have some video to post.

Nov 2006
    could you post any vids you made on the trail? or the dawn dusk and daylight vids? or and that show the camera in a lit room then going outside? to show the cam ajusting to the light levels?

thanks

Nov 2006
    I just ordered my atc-2000. $99.00 at Amazon. I'm not expecting great video. At 15 fps, the quality is definitely questionable. At 30 fps though, I'm thinking it might just be ok.

Somebody needs to post some video! I'm getting anxious!

Nov 2006
    everyone post vids if ya got them... even if its in the back yard.... i might get 2 of these

Nov 2006
    Ok, I found some video on the forum for "PWCToday" A guy attached the atc2000 to his jetski handle bars. Not to bad. I couldn't figure out how to tranfer the video here. Here is the address.

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.p...752#post948752

Nov 2006
    Looks like the guy had the camera rapped in plastic. (water resistant only!) I don't know how that affected the video quality. The sound wasn't to great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Here is a video from the ATC2000. It looks like sh!t on Youtube. so don’t judge it by that. It’s not pixilated and not dark as it appears on Youtube. It was pretty overcast when the video was shot and close to dusk. For the price it is well worth it to me. It does well with light transitions, much better than I thought it would. The first ride I took it on it got riped off my helmet by a branch and it still works fine. I bet a regular video camera can’t do that. It's small enough to keep in your pack and light enough that you can hardly tell its on your helmet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8sq9aQRrdM

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

sample

I also found the video to be OK when viewed on my PC. Light transitions are poor however and bright areas tend to wash. The somewhat poor resolution you see in the link is better on the PC. For only $129.00 I think this is a pretty good deal. I do need to improve the helmet mount to reduce the jumpyness.

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?use...4&ctime=000022

Hope the link works. First time trying.

Nov 2006
    good vid... but was that in 15 fps? anyone send me a 2 to 3 mb 10 to 20 sec clip? 640-480 at 30 fps? to my mailbox? all the vids ive seen, seem to be 320-240 at 15fps

thanks to all...

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by il2mb
    I also found the video to be OK when viewed on my PC. Light transitions are poor however and bright areas tend to wash. The somewhat poor resolution you see in the link is better on the PC. For only $129.00 I think this is a pretty good deal. I do need to improve the helmet mount to reduce the jumpyness.

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?use...4&ctime=000022

Hope the link works. First time trying.
    Amazing. I was riding the same trail at the same time on Saturday (is the date on dropshots correct?) but in the opposite direction.
    Hey, if you can send me the original video I will be happy to host it on my site in its original format... PM me
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

Members who have read this thread: 0