New helmet- Mtbr.com

Thread: New helmet

Special Lister

New helmet

I need a new helmet non FF. I was wondering what is popular now adays. Haven't had to buy one in awhile. I like the new Fox design, but to throw down a Benjamin on one....not so sure.

Dirt Deviant
    Can't go wrong with a bell variant. can find one cheap too if you look around.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

too cold to ride
    Giro Rift or Indicator, imo
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

local trails rider
    Still saying this:

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    A helmet should meet some safety standard, which all helmets sold in the US should. Everything else is a matter of preference. I choose helmets based on fit and comfort and have never gone wrong with that.

Right now I have a Uvex XP100. It has wider vents than previous helmets I've owned, but I still sweat just as much and it doesn't really feel a whole lot cooler. It also has mesh on the front vents to keep bugs out, but I've had a bug get in on a side vent and the openings on the mesh are so wide that small bugs make it through. The visor (like all visors I've had) blocks too much view so I took it off. On the plus side, the helmet is very comfortable for me. It's lightweight, which ads to the comfort. It also adjusts a little differently than other helmets I've tried. When you turn the rear dial it tightens or loosens all the way around your head, not just in the back. You can also adjust the height of the band around your head. The chin strap buckle has several positions to click into, so you can easily tighten or loosen the chin strap within a certain range

I would always buy the lower end Bell Helmets ($30-$40) because they were comfortable and cheap, but I decided to try a higher end helmet this time around to see if there is any real difference. I'm not sure if the weight difference is enough for me to justify spending an extra $50+ next time around, but having those different adjustable features sure is. The wider vents and mesh have made no difference worth the extra money. Next time around I will probably go with another Uvex if the price hasn't gone up much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    From what I can tell, helmets are one of those items where 99% of them come from the same factory in China, so the difference lies in the graphics. Sucks to be the consumer!
    whatever...

mtbr member
    The specialized Deviant has way more ventilation (cooler) and is lighter than most FF helmets at the same price point. It also has a similar retention system to xc helmets, so it feels pretty snug.

Check out the ventilation:

compared to something like this:
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    to quote the first sentence of the first post of this thread:

I need a new helmet non FF.

just go to your LBS and find one that fits well and looks cool. that's what i did. i got mine from performance bike. it was on sale for $80 from $100, plus they had their "lunch hour sale" on top of my coupon, so i got it for $36.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite
    From what I can tell, helmets are one of those items where 99% of them come from the same factory in China, so the difference lies in the graphics. Sucks to be the consumer!
    Right...

and 99% of all bike frames come from the same factory in Taiwan, so the only difference lies in graphics

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Can't go wrong with a bell variant. can find one cheap too if you look around.
    The Bell Influx is great, too.

I've had 2 of 'em, and they've been a great lid.
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite
    Which explains the differences in shape, fit, straps...
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

banned
    Actually UVEX helmets are the only helmets made in Germany - not China. The XP100 is a less vented helmet, if you like the fit go with the X-Ride. Super light and comfortable. Like someone else said though need to try one on to make sure it fits first.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    nothing wrong with made in China
    bike helmets are a huge rip off, they are all made almost identically, the biggest difference is in the adjusting system and the graphics, they have $.50 worth of foam, $.05 worth of plastic shell and some generic nylon straps and pads. Granted , there is some design work involved, but the actual design of the helmet rarely changes.
    the best option is to find one that fits properly and then buy last years model, usually less than half the new version price ( most of the time the only thing that changes are the colors)

mtbr member
    May i recomend the Fox Flux..but as others have stated its best to go and try them on first.Note : cheap is not always a good thing when it comes to protecting your noodle...COMFORT AND PROTECTION for me..cheers
    Respect the Aina....Aloha

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KAHAIKAPU
    May i recomend the Fox Flux..but as others have stated its best to go and try them on first.Note : cheap is not always a good thing when it comes to protecting your noodle...COMFORT AND PROTECTION for me..cheers
    Second on the Flux. I picked one up on chainlove.com for $40 a couple weeks ago. Keep an eye out, they may throw them up there again sometime soon.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by KAHAIKAPU
    The Flux does not fit my head at all. Very uncomfortable and reduced protection as a result.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0