new helmet?- Mtbr.com

Thread: new helmet?

Jan 2004

new helmet?

my current full facer is now 4 years old(it's got a polycarbonate shell). i have only had a couple of bad falls involving my head so was wondering if you guys think i need to replace it, or have i just got shiny new kit syndrome?

LT1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

One bad fall is all it needs...

So long as I don't have any "major" spills with my helmets, I will continue to use them but will replace them every 2 years regardless.

Anything major, straight to the garbage can....

As a side note, I usually do the same with any 1 piece aluminum handlebars that I have been freeriding or dirt jumping for 2 season's as well...

"Shiny" syndrome is akin to a good "Safety" syndrome, even though the "less educated" sometimes confuse this with the "Poser" syndrome...

Jan 2004

Id replace it..

4 years is a bit much in my opnion just from normal wear and tear. Check out sixsixone full comp full face and jensonusa.com. I got mine for 45 bucks and its great. Wont set you back and is very comfy. better to be safe then sorry.

mtbr member

Vigor Vamoose II???

i've heard good things about the vigor vamoose II. i was thinking of getting one. is the carbon one actually made of carbon or is that just a color scheme?

i'm riding a bell rythym pro that i've crashed a few times but nothing major. but i think its almost 4 years old
    Last edited by jr711; 01-28-2004 at 08:34 PM.

mtbr member

Azx

What about an Azonic AZX ? I use on since 2002 and I am very happy with it. It fits great and it's not that heavy. Price is O.K. So have a look !

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    The Carbon Vamoose II is actually a thin fiberglass base with a Carbon outer. It's more Carbon than fiberglass. The basic Vamoose II is all fiberglass.

GT.
    work hard, ride free

... and if we just ... Vigor Vamoose II Carbon rocks

Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    i've heard good things about the vigor vamoose II. i was thinking of getting one. is the carbon one actually made of carbon or is that just a color scheme?

i'm riding a bell rythym pro that i've crashed a few times but nothing major. but i think its almost 4 years old
    My LBS just got a few Vigor Vamoose II Carbon helmets in. I think it is made of real carbon shell. You can see the carbon fiber under the clearcoated finish. It fits really well, looks cool and has bunch of of vents. It's very light for a full face helmet, too. A medium weighed 1000g on the digital scale. The inside pads are totally removable and washable too. I'm going to get one for myself when they get some more in. Can't wait.

Cheers~
    Attached Images Attached Images

USB Rep'n
    The Vigor is great but seemed really hot to me. I just got a Pryme AL from DansComp for $65 and love it for what its worth. Given what you posted, I'd say its time for a new lid.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Doesnt ride Banshees
    I personally like the Giro Mad Max 2, im on my second one since my old one bounced out of the truck and got hit by another car. I really like it, its a super comfortable helmet. I have tried on the vigor, it seems like a really nice helmet but IMO i just didnt find it as comfortable as my mad max, but the thing i really really liked about the vigor was the buckel on the helmet strap, thats one thing ive always hated about my mad max is not having a buckel. I think you are defenitly in need of a helmet because 4 years is to long for a helmet even if you havent been in a serious crash with it. Helmets are only good for one big crash as you might have already heard. Ive always thought it was kind of dumb but id rather spend the $$$ to buy a new one every time than end up a vegetable cuz my helmet failed. thats the way i look at things.

Feb 2004

i agree

i completely agree go w/ the mad max II the best helmet around