New Helmet - 07' model, still ok?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

New Helmet - 07' model, still ok?

Question here that may seem strange but I tried to do a search and didn't come up with anything. Looking to buy a new helmet, my old one is a Giro so I'd like to stay in that brand since it fits well. I hear great reports about the E2 which is discontinued but can still be had various places at some good prices. Question - is it ok to get a helmet thats a couple of years old if it is still new. Looking at the 07 model. I know I read somewhere that someone posted "absolutetly not"....but really? In the real world will it make a difference. It's still a new helmet.

Advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I don't see anything wrong with it. If it was used, I would say no, but if it's still new and in the box then it should be fine.
    What am I supposed to put here again?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    the 'absolutely not' was a joke. The only thing that ruins a helmet is a crash/impact. Any helmet that is not used is not impacted by age. I have used my xc helmet for years but have never crashed it, so its as good as new.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It is recommended that you replace your helmet every 7 years as the foam can break down and becomes less crash resistant. So if you follow that rule, an 07 helmet should be replaced in 5 years. Personally, I have never had a helmet last that long, so I don't really have an opinion if that is true or not.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    An 07 is fine.

I plan to replace my helmets before 5 years have elapsed from the date on the sticker in the helmet. An 07 still gives 3 years (I just bought an 07 as a matter of fact).

Typically I end up replacing helmets from wear due to small bumps, knocks, and just use after 2-2.5 years (I ride a lot), so buying one that's a couple of years old (but new) doesn't bother me.

I definitely wouldn't buy one that's at the 5yr mark. "New" or not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Awesome, thanks guys.

Anyone have anything good to say about the E2. My old Giro is pretty old 2000 (ish) (no head crashes with it) but it's high time I get a new one. I don't even know what model it is is but I paid about $90 for it back then (on sale). I can nab the E2 for around $75. Considering I can't/won't spend $130 on the new Xen that's out would you all think I'd be happy with the E2 since I won't be able to try it on?

Btw the reason I'm looking a Giro in the first place is I love the way my old one feels. fits perfect. I can hope/assume they haven't changed for the worse!

Thanks!

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    I've only tried an E2 on. Seemed nice enough.

You may also want to look into the Hex as the cheaper alternative to the Xen; I'm really happy with mine.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaf508
    Awesome, thanks guys.

Anyone have anything good to say about the E2. My old Giro is pretty old 2000 (ish) (no head crashes with it) but it's high time I get a new one. I don't even know what model it is is but I paid about $90 for it back then (on sale). I can nab the E2 for around $75. Considering I can't/won't spend $130 on the new Xen that's out would you all think I'd be happy with the E2 since I won't be able to try it on?

Btw the reason I'm looking a Giro in the first place is I love the way my old one feels. fits perfect. I can hope/assume they haven't changed for the worse!

Thanks!
    I'm guessing you're planning on buying this online? I would advise against it. There is nothing saying they haven't changed the fit, and the only thing that really matters on a modern bike helmet is the fit. Go to your local bike stores and try a bunch on, buy the one that fits the bets.

Just my opinion.

Members who have read this thread: 0