New guy looking for helmet suggestions.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New guy looking for helmet suggestions.

I grew up in an age when noboby wore safty gear, seatbelts were an option, and kids rode in the truck bed, but I think that on some of the rides I really should have a helmet. I've managed to crash only once but I was lucky and landed in some poison ivy. So I'm looking to the experienced to point me on the right direction. Looking to spend no more than $115, and my head is large to XL.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You need to try different brands on. I usually wear a l/xl but I just bought a Giro in medium. I had a Specialized helmet and it never fit the shape of my head that well. Fox helmets didn't feel quite right either but the Giro fit much nicer. I feel like I barely need the straps to keep it on my head.

mtbr member
    +1 on the Giro.Fits me fine and I have a big head.
    2011 Rockhopper Comp 29er
    2011 Myka HT Disc (wife)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Trails View Post
    I grew up in an age when noboby wore safty gear, seatbelts were an option, and kids rode in the truck bed, but I think that on some of the rides I really should have a helmet. I've managed to crash only once but I was lucky and landed in some poison ivy. So I'm looking to the experienced to point me on the right direction. Looking to spend no more than $115, and my head is large to XL.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Fit is all important, regardless of price. Go try on helmets.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2009
    +1 on trying on helmets. As for me, I wear a Fox Flux and have tried Giro's and Bell's on. I love my Flux, but the other ones just didn't feel as comfortable. Fox has a new helmet out, the Striker. Looks like an updated version of the Flux, but I haven't tried one on yet. Only you will know what feels right though. Get out there and try some helmets on.

mtbr member
    I love my Giro Xen. It got great reviews from many. Under $100.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I was eyeing the xen but I think I like the roc lock 5 on the xar.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I love my Fox helmets, was not a big fan of Giro...That right there should tell you how important trying them on is

As a different option my buddy rides with a bmx/skateboard helmet and loves it

turtles make me hot
    I like my Fox Flux.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Fox Flux, or any non mushroom helmet that comes down and covers the back of your head.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I also like my Fox Flux. It has more coverage and more substantial padding than my cheaper Bell helmet, and it comes with two sets of pads, which is nice. I also get a surprising number of compliments about how it looks, not that I care much since bike clothes look kind of dorky no matter what.
    Matt

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just ordered a Giro Ionos for $150 but was playing with the Bell $20 Costco helmets and it fit just perfect. I was starting to think if I would not have been just as happy with the $20 one. Darn good deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If the SixSixOne Recon fits- I just got it for $45 on either Chainlove or Bonktown (I forget which...)- Great helmet- great reviews...

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Pro-tec ace xl, loaded with stickers. I payed $35 for it on sale.
    It fit so well, I figured I'd order a pro-tec cyphon xl. And, of course, it was to small. That's what I get for buying without trying. But my son now has a nice helmet, so not all bad.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    If you are looking for a great helmet to get into Full face riding with then you should check this out.
    http://www.hucknroll.com/six-six-one-comp-ii-helmet . Chainlove recently had it on sale for $39.00. If you are interested you should contact HucknRoll and see if they will honor the recent Chainlove price. I have had luck in the past with them doing this since they are all owned by the same company. YMMV though.........

mtbr member
    661 Recon is great. It has a bit more coverage and looks better than a racer lid, but it's still reasonably light with plenty of vents. The L/XL has a wide range of adjustment and even fits my huge dome.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    I just got a new helmet myself...at first i had the cheapest one i could find (Bontrager Soltice). Its not a bad helmet, minus the weight of it. What i didnt like about it, it seems to not let any air in through the vents. I switched over to a Specialized Echeon and its a pretty big difference. I wear a Halo headband under my helm to help with sweat...with the Bonty helm, i could squeeze out a glass of water after a couple of hours....with the specialized, my headband doesnt even get soaked all the way. The weight is also pretty dam light. Its a road helmet compared to a MTB, so no visor (never used it anyway).

Giro-LG-Specialized....dont think you can go wrong with any of those. Wasnt terribly impressed with the Bonty helmet, however you can check it out for yourself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    +1 for the 661 Recon. Very comfortable and well ventilated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fooshnicken View Post
    +1 for the 661 Recon. Very comfortable and well ventilated.
    Also +1 for the 661 Recon. Nice fit, adjustable strap on the back... Got mine from theclymb.com for only $45. Runs for $100 on hucknroll. looks sick too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New guy looking for helmet suggestions.-download.jpg  

mtbr member
    I like the looks of that 661, but I didn't see anything like that at the shops. I did go and try some on and I'm glade I did. I tried a few in various price ranges but the one that felt the most comfortable was a Giro Indicator. It didn't hurt my feeling that it was only $35 and it seemed to have gotten to good feedback her on MTBR. I'm going to keep my eyes open for the 661 though.

mtbr member
    I've had several helmets over the years. The GT Pegasus was my favorite. Giro made a couple I liked , but, of course they are no longer available. I just tried a Giro Rift. I'm sending that one back. The strap system is just not comfortable. Always feels somehow twisted. I guess you can't expect a lot from a unifit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I like the looks of that 661, but I didn't see anything like that at the shops. I did go and try some on and I'm glade I did. I tried a few in various price ranges but the one that felt the most comfortable was a Giro Indicator. It didn't hurt my feeling that it was only $35 and it seemed to have gotten to good feedback her on MTBR. I'm going to keep my eyes open for the 661 though.
    Cheap helmets (meaning inexpensive) that fit well are great. I don't see myself ever spending more then $50.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I am also looking for a helmet but dont really want to spend like $100+ on one but i do know how important a helmet is. my dad has his accident on biking even with helmet, he had his skull opened up for release of pressure.
    What's a good one for a big helmet and round face (fat face )

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My advice would be to pop into your local bike shop. Try different makes and models on and see what feels comfortable for you. You can always then buy the same helmet on line if it is cheaper knowing that you have picked one that works for you

mtbr member
    I went to my local bike shop a couple days ago and picked up a Specialized "Align". Very comfortable and adjustable. The best part was the price. Only $40.

mtbr member
    Full face makes you feel safer, but you will hate it on up hills. I have a Giro Remedy and it fits and feels great, crashed several times, suffered a possible concussion, but the helmet still works, no damage at all. If you lean to the dh/fr aspect, that is my suggestion. Plus, it has some really cool new colors...
    We runners are a dignified, understated bunch. If we weren't, we'd be golfers.

Still learnin'
    I grew up in an age when noboby wore safty gear, seatbelts were an option, and kids rode in the truck bed
    Same here. The wifey just talked me into getting a helmet. NEVER wore one on the trails before. I HAVE BEEN LUCKY SO FAR.

I realize that sooner or later my luck will run out. I just bought the Specialized Vice. It fits like a glove and covers a big portion of my egg-head.

As everyone else says, try it on first. I spent 30 minutes trying stuff on. It's $99, but I believe that you get what you pay for.
    Gear up, flaps up, feet up.