New DH helmet I designed

Printable View

• 11-06-2005
    druz
    4 Attachment(s)
    New DH helmet I designed
    Hey there guys!
    I thought you might be interested in what we get up to here in South Africa. I have just finished my b-tech degree in three dimensional product design (industrial design) and here is my project. I designed a new downhill helmet that was designed to include a built in MP3 player and a video camera mount for a vio-sport camera! Everything was made by hand, even the inner foam. The helmet is made from carbon Kevlar and fibre glass and was vacuum bagged.. It tips the scales at 960gm with out the audio and 1kg with the mp3 player fitted. It has 19 vents, removable padding and a snap buckle. I have tested it in local races and everything works beautifully. The sound is brilliant and the video camera mount also works faultlessly. I have had nothing less than positive feedback from local riders. Now I just need to find someone with influence at a place like Troy Lee or Daniese to get a dream job there. I have always wanted to design for the alternative sports industry. If you want to get hold of me for any further details here are my contact:
    E-mail: [email protected]
  • 11-06-2005
    Psycho Banshee
    Nice helmet
    Good job on the helmet. I hope to see it in production in the U.S. soon. :D
  • 11-06-2005
    kntr
    Email Vigor Helmets with pics and ask for an application.

If you are trying to get a patent, I wouldnt post pics on MTBR. People steal ideas all the time for inventions.

Get a patent on the helmet.

The only thing I dont like about your helmet is the rib on the top in the middle. One crash and that rib is done. I have had this happend on other helmets.
  • 11-06-2005
    scabrider
    cool...
  • 11-06-2005
    M1_joel
    Excellent job! I like the addition of the MP3 and video.

In the USA, you MIGHT get away with installing the internal wiring connections but we are soo freekin' sue happy that I doubt ANY helmet MFR will sell a helmet with full function audio installed. Plus it would be cheaper to NOT include the MP3 - that's too personal of a choice anyway.

Excellent work. Im not a fan of the Vigor type helmets but your almost looks like a D2 with vents.

I'd say, offer descent speakers inside the ear cups, no actual mp3 player and a protective helmet cam mount.

good luck.

joel
  • 11-06-2005
    druz
    looking for feedback
    Im just trying to get rider feedback, im not going to attempt to patent the helmet or manufacture it. My ultimate goal is to get a job working in the alturnative sports industry.
  • 11-06-2005
    matt
    cool helmet. how does it hold up to crashes though? it seems like it's got a lot of vents but wouldn't do too well in a crash? thanks. i would take it off here though, other people's ideas have been stolen....
  • 11-06-2005
    druz
    Mp3 player details
    The mp3 player is removable, and was designed to be an optional addition. It has numerous safety features and considerations included to accommodate the mp3 player and the video camera mount. The project study was effectively to asses the feasible multimedia options in downhill helmets. Safety was one of the primary considerations in designing the extra features.
  • 11-06-2005
    matt
    just a few questions...

how does it do after being crashed?

what helmet right now do you think it would be comparable to, so we have a frame of reference?

looks like a cool helmet, the color scheme isn't right for me, but cool none the less
  • 11-06-2005
    druz
    strength and paint
    The shape has dictated a strong yet light shell. It is only slightly stiffer than a madmax 2 and it has been reckoned by experts locally here to be of a comparable breaking strength. Yet it weighs almost 200 gm less than my madmax. The paint is matt black because it was hand made and if it was glossy, it would reflect any minor detail. I would love for someone to sponsor for it to be professionally painted.
  • 11-06-2005
    RobsterCraw
    You need connections in the right places to get some capital investment. You need to produce a couple and get it tested. Then make any vital improvements and tweaks and then get it rider tested for fit and comfort and venting. Then you need to get it certified. Then you need to talk to a lawyer about the liability considerations of turning every one of your customers into a def, oblivious freight train bombing down the trails. As in, you may want to consider the implecations of speakers mounted in a bike helmet I would bet a dime to a dollar that no bike park, like whister, would ever permit that kind of thing. But other than that, why work at your dream job when you can live the dream and start your own company, you will need a partner since you probably cannot afford all the costs yourself but I think even if your company fails in the end, your venture will almost gaurantee your future employment with some product manufacturer.
  • 11-07-2005
    marsb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    You need connections in the right places to get some capital investment. You need to produce a couple and get it tested. Then make any vital improvements and tweaks and then get it rider tested for fit and comfort and venting. Then you need to get it certified. Then you need to talk to a lawyer about the liability considerations of turning every one of your customers into a def, oblivious freight train bombing down the trails. As in, you may want to consider the implecations of speakers mounted in a bike helmet I would bet a dime to a dollar that no bike park, like whister, would ever permit that kind of thing. But other than that, why work at your dream job when you can live the dream and start your own company, you will need a partner since you probably cannot afford all the costs yourself but I think even if your company fails in the end, your venture will almost gaurantee your future employment with some product manufacturer.

What part of "Im just trying to get rider feedback, im not going to attempt to patent the helmet or manufacture it. My ultimate goal is to get a job working in the alturnative sports industry." did you not get? ;)

As for the headphones, look at all the snowsports helmets (RED, Giro, etc.) that are going with built-in speakers. If you can get away with it in the park during the winter, why not summer? I agree that it isn't the best idea, though. Poetntial seems high for mishap on crowded slopes, regardless of the sport. Yet, even I have donned the ipod earbuds for some DH runs, and it was a blast! Just use your judgement as to when it is appropriate.

And druz, amazing job on the helmet! It looks like a great design, you definitely have some major talent. Good luck to you!
  • 11-07-2005
    -bb-
    One quick tip...
    You might want vents on top to be forward a little more.

#1 - It scoops more air
    #2 - You can mount your lights much easier.
  • 11-07-2005
    carcasshucker
    pretty nice lookin helmet dude!! :eek:
    but to do the things you are talkin aboot you need to go to the show in Vegas -
    interbike is the place to sell your soul :p
    ya just missed it too
    thats exactly the thinking that is NEEDED so desparately in our sport-too many people stuck "in the box"
    strength is gonna be the biggest issue (impact)
  • 11-07-2005
    hardcore newbie
    can i have one???:D
  • 11-09-2005
    druz
    thanks for feedback
    hey guys, thanks for the feedback. The design rationale was people are going to ride with music and modify their helmets, it might not be the best idea but lets just make it safer. Now I just need to find someone with contacts. Anyone out there who could help me? Being stuck in the bottom of deepest darkest africa does not make it easy to get a job in the sports design industry. My e-mail is at the top of the thread.
  • 11-09-2005
    RobsterCraw
    snowsports do not have the same implecations as biking. We ride narrow trails, we rarely see more than25 yards ahead at anytime. I think what you have there is a really marketable product and to pursue it a liitle farther could have much greater rewards. As I said maybe the best way to get a job at those dream job companies is to become an industry insider first, this lid may be your ticket. Having speakers in the helmet is safer than having a rider wearing headphones but when designing a product you have to consider what kind of liability you will have by marketing the product. Average set of headphones were never meant to be worn while DH biking but if you make a product that encourages and facilitates the listening to of music on the trail, that could make you liable for every preson that gets hit by those jackhole riders with their music to loud that just happen to wear your helmet. For many uses, listening to music would be Ideal, like single stunt freeriding, where you know there is no one in the way or if you need to ride uphill, or racing. The projected stupidity on the part of the end user has stopped a lot of products before they ever got off the drawing board. Otherwise I think your helmet is really nice. My only thought on the design would be to have some sort of real or faux reinforcement on the chin portion there. Even if it is perfectly strong it looks so open that it looks weaker. Maybe its just how the mesh bulges out that it looks really big?
  • 10-28-2012
    Roughshot
    Looks great!